Re: Monday Mystery - Railway Long Gone

Steve W

Thanks for that Trevor - didn't pick up on what Alan was saying - a rather interesting photo!

Cheers Steve W

-----Original Message-----
From: nz-rail-geography@groups.io <nz-rail-geography@groups.io> On Behalf Of Trevor & Jenny Cheer
Sent: Monday, 23 July 2018 10:46 PM
To: nz-rail-geography@groups.io
Subject: Re: [nz-rail-geography] Monday Mystery - Railway Long Gone

For the photo to be of the former Wilton Colliery formation at Ngaruawahia, there would have to be part of the Waipa River in view. LJH and JMC photo's taken on the other side of the river show no poles alongside the line.
As Alan said there's too many circuits for it to be a branchline (or private siding like Wilton)

TC

From: nz-rail-geography@groups.io [mailto:nz-rail-geography@groups.io] On Behalf Of Steve W
Sent: Monday, July 23, 2018 6:08 PM

Actually - I'm convinced now that this is the Waipa River Bridge - the background looks different today with houses and trees. I first visited this site in about 1971 and it was like this (I've spent all day thinking about it). This was a dairy farm and I walked the formation between the main road and the river

I'm trying to find a current photo

Steve W

From: nz-rail-geography@groups.io <nz-rail-geography@groups.io> On Behalf Of Steve W
Sent: Monday, 23 July 2018 2:39 PM

Yes - I'm wondering it it's the Waipa River Bridge abutments on the Glen Massey Line...

Steve

From: nz-rail-geography@groups.io <nz-rail-geography@groups.io> On Behalf Of Allan Neilson
Sent: Monday, 23 July 2018 11:14 AM

It is a railway line with significant communications overhead line bearer circuits so unlikely to be a NZ branch line, unless they were old NZPO lines along the rail corridor at that point. Looked to me as if it could be in Australia somewhere??? ...allan neilson

From: nz-rail-geography@groups.io <nz-rail-geography@groups.io> On Behalf Of Steve W
Sent: Monday, 23 July 2018 10:50 AM

I think likely to be North Island - contributor Tony Hinton can't recall it. I thought that this was one on the Kaihu Branch but he hasn't been to the branch.

Hopefully we can work it out because I suspect we are likely to have seen it

Steve W

From: nz-rail-geography@groups.io <nz-rail-geography@groups.io> On Behalf Of Malvern
Sent: Monday, 23 July 2018 10:46 AM

Maybe Fairlie Branch

--
Steve W

--
Steve W

--
Steve W

--
Steve W

Join nz-rail-geography@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.