Where to sail Friday September 9?

Barbara Belt

Forecast looks promising - where is a good place around the Seattle metro area for a beginning windsurf foiler?  Is there anywhere without a lot of weed?  I've been trying to foil and I find myself "mowing the lawn" instead!

Don Ledford

I plan to wing foil at OO-Denny. Not much weed there (compared to SSP). This time of year there will be clumps of floating weed sprinkled about Lake Washington. If I'm paying attention I can dodge these pretty easily when wing-foiling.

On 9/7/22 10:46, Barbara Belt via groups.io wrote:

Forecast looks promising - where is a good place around the Seattle metro area for a beginning windsurf foiler?  Is there anywhere without a lot of weed?  I've been trying to foil and I find myself "mowing the lawn" instead!

Giovanni USA-6

If wind is good, I will be foiling in the South Sound at either Browns Point, Dash Point or Des Moines. No problem with weeds in BP and DP, and minor ar DM. Tides may affect choice (I try to avoid Des Moines on low tides due to the long walk to deeper water). Browns is not affected much by tides and Dash Point Pier beach is marginally affected.

On Wed, Sep 7, 2022, 10:56 AM Don Ledford <don.ledford@...> wrote:

I plan to wing foil at OO-Denny. Not much weed there (compared to SSP). This time of year there will be clumps of floating weed sprinkled about Lake Washington. If I'm paying attention I can dodge these pretty easily when wing-foiling.

On 9/7/22 10:46, Barbara Belt via groups.io wrote:
Forecast looks promising - where is a good place around the Seattle metro area for a beginning windsurf foiler?  Is there anywhere without a lot of weed?  I've been trying to foil and I find myself "mowing the lawn" instead!

Plamen Petkov

Renton sailing club dock works great on Northerly or southerly winds. No milfoil.

 Getting on or off needs some balance skills but I think that will not be a problem for you.

 Plamen

Greg Mejlaender

Yes, windfoiling off the dock at the Renton Sailing Club in Coulon Park... is very good. I've been talking about it on windtalk since 2017.
And as Plamen said, the milfoil might not be bad there this week (while it already is bad, at other spots) but it will get bad there soon!

From mid Sep through Oct the Lake water level will be low and the milfoil will be thick all the way to the surface (including the Renton Sailing dock).
All the popular windsurfing spots on the lake will be annoying with this hassle, for foilers to deal with!!!
But for regular windsurfing, it's no big deal.

One of the few popular Lk Washington windsurfing beaches that is MUCH less affected by milfoil is the N end of Denny Park. It's because the water gets deep there quickly. Therefore you have a very short distance to wade through shallow water with your foil, to get to deep water (really deep, where there's no milfoil growing).