Event Site Friday 20 May 2022

Glenn Reichenbach

Great sunny day at the Event site in HR today for Sailworks 5.4m NX, Backbone 400cm mast bottom half, Backbone 430cm mast top half, SB Team Set 900, 115+, 255(-2 shim), SB iSonic 127.  I think Correy rigged Flyer 5.2m.  Many other windsurf foilers and wingers and kiters.

--Glenn R.
_._,_._,_

Evanne Howard

My first day out since October, some impressions….
1. My wetsuit has shrunk
2. My harness has shrunk
3. I saw only 1 other fin sailor. It was all wingers, windfoilers and kiters,
     made me feel like a relic.
4. I am very rusty, need more time on water.
5. Water was refreshing, I dressed for the swim.
6. Sailed for an hour. Not sore today so will go longer next time.
7. I expected more Canadians, maybe gas’s keeping them home?

I used 4.7M/88L Global wave which was just about right. The current wasn’t bad, but I expect it to become really strong in the next few weeks. Water seemed choppier than normal on far side. Chuck had fun skiing, Timberline had a few inches of fresh snow overnight (his back is improving). Next Sunday is the first swap meet of the season.
There is a new wind forecast site for the Gorge by “Victor the Inflictor”. We can always use more help figuring out the wind around here.  It is free, check it out….
image0.jpegimage1.jpegimage2.jpeg

Glenn Reichenbach

Evanne,

Thanks for the link to victortheinflictor.  It will be interesting how it compares or contrasts to gorgeismygym.

Also, they were not requiring payment for parking at the event site as of Friday (no tickets on windshields yet).  If you go online soon and get a season pass, then they will hold it for you, and you can pick it up at the gate house at the Event Site next weekend.  

Back in year 2000 I switched from skiing to snowboarding.  Learning curves are always difficult for me, but the rewards in my case are priceless and continue to pay me back in many ways.  New learning curves are proven to prevent grey matter malfunction and decay. 

Now, I am still on the learning curve of windsurf foiling and many of my longtime windsurf friends agree that it was the best decision to go in that direction.  Now there are so many of us enjoying this new evolution of the sport to be able to help with tips and help to make the learning curve easier for foil newbies.  I urge you to come over to the underwater dark black exposed carbon side.  Resistance is futile. Go with the flow.

However, I still enjoy a good nuk'n ride on a fin board when the wind is strong, and the waves are big.

Also, they were not requiring payment for parking at the event site as of Friday (no tickets on windshields yet).  If you go online soon and get a season pass, then they will hold it for you, and you can pick it up at the gate house at the Event Site next weekend.  

Glenn R. 

-----Original Message-----
To: nw-windtalk@groups.io
Sent: Sat, May 21, 2022 9:02 am
Subject: Re: [nw-windtalk] Event Site Friday 20 May 2022

My first day out since October, some impressions….
1. My wetsuit has shrunk
2. My harness has shrunk
3. I saw only 1 other fin sailor. It was all wingers, windfoilers and kiters,
     made me feel like a relic.
4. I am very rusty, need more time on water.
5. Water was refreshing, I dressed for the swim.
6. Sailed for an hour. Not sore today so will go longer next time.
7. I expected more Canadians, maybe gas’s keeping them home?

I used 4.7M/88L Global wave which was just about right. The current wasn’t bad, but I expect it to become really strong in the next few weeks. Water seemed choppier than normal on far side. Chuck had fun skiing, Timberline had a few inches of fresh snow overnight (his back is improving). Next Sunday is the first swap meet of the season.
There is a new wind forecast site for the Gorge by “Victor the Inflictor”. We can always use more help figuring out the wind around here.  It is free, check it out….
image0.jpegimage1.jpegimage2.jpeg

Glenn Reichenbach

To: bsmersh@... <bsmersh@...>
Sent: Sat, May 21, 2022 11:49 pm
Subject: Re: Event Site Friday 20 May 2022

Hi Bill,

It is nice to hear from you.  Sometimes it seems as though no one is even reading my messages because of a lack of feedback so when someone responds positively it gives me hope that I am providing some useful information to someone.  At least they should know that some of us are still out there looking for the best conditions available within a reachable distance of being able to get to without too much driving and without burning too much fuel/money.  However, sometimes during the winter the need for good wind and some good sunshine drives decisions that may seem not the best for mother earth.  I sometimes get some negative feedback for driving way out to Cline Spit for just a few hours of nirvana and then I see the dismal conditions that they accept as good in the Seattle area that day and then I know that I made the right decision for myself.   I know that sounds selfish but hey, I know what I need to survive and flourish during the winter months. 

That may only be me that calls it "finning" to distinguish it from foiling.  I do not mean to make it look like an ancient form of this sport, but I fear that it really is becoming that very thing.  For me the Slalom and Formula and longboard versions of windsurfing may be finished except for getting beginner and intermediate gear ready for friends and relatives who need some help.

I will try to post more messages in the future about my intent for days around Seattle in the hope that it may inspire you to get back out there for a session.   I believe that my windsurf foiling level is good enough now  to keep a good watch over others out on the lake who may need some help.

--Glenn Reichenbach

To: glenngjr@...
Sent: Sat, May 21, 2022 10:49 pm

Hi Glenn,
I’m glad to read you are still getting on the water a lot(!!). And successfully ventured into the new ways of having fun on the water – foils, winging, etc.  It cracks me up when they (the young guys) refer to windsurfers as finners like it’s some ancient sport that only a few are keeping alive.
I haven’t been able to sail for several years. I think you might remember that I have Parkinson’s Disease which is a progressive disease which is keeping me off of the water. Sometimes when my meds kick in well I think I could sail. I would make several sailors onshore aware of what I was attempting to do, and to keep an eye on me. But God help me if I go “off” – a condition where my meds have worn off and I’m in need of more. Anxiety, like having trouble water-starting while a 1/2 mile offshore in rising or dying winds, can bring me into an “off” state very quickly. When I’m ‘off’ I can hardly walk, I’m weak, and have poor balance, anxious, etc. I would have trouble just getting myself out of the water, let alone carry a windsurfer and that’s assuming I made it back to shore. I have kept one set of gear – a board, one quiver + accessories, in hopes that a cure comes and/or I’m in great conditions – steady, and maybe onshore, winds. I guess it’s ok to dream.
Anyway, I will continue to vicariously enjoy the sport through your’s and others’ posts!
Cheers and be safe,
-Bill Smersh

Chuck Dulken

Hey Glenn, here’s some feedback: your reports and photos are great!  Both for the vicarious enjoyment and for the data.  Much appreciated. 

Bill: thoughts go out to you.  Thank you for posting.

-Chuck D.

From: nw-windtalk@groups.io <nw-windtalk@groups.io> On Behalf Of Glenn Reichenbach via groups.io
Sent: Saturday, May 21, 2022 11:59 PM
To: nw-windtalk@groups.io
Subject: [nw-windtalk] Event Site Friday 20 May 2022

Hi Bill,

It is nice to hear from you.  Sometimes it seems as though no one is even reading my messages because of a lack of feedback so when someone responds positively it gives me hope that I am providing some useful information to someone.  At least they should know that some of us are still out there looking for the best conditions available within a reachable distance of being able to get to without too much driving and without burning too much fuel/money.  However, sometimes during the winter the need for good wind and some good sunshine drives decisions that may seem not the best for mother earth.  I sometimes get some negative feedback for driving way out to Cline Spit for just a few hours of nirvana and then I see the dismal conditions that they accept as good in the Seattle area that day and then I know that I made the right decision for myself.   I know that sounds selfish but hey, I know what I need to survive and flourish during the winter months. 

That may only be me that calls it "finning" to distinguish it from foiling.  I do not mean to make it look like an ancient form of this sport, but I fear that it really is becoming that very thing.  For me the Slalom and Formula and longboard versions of windsurfing may be finished except for getting beginner and intermediate gear ready for friends and relatives who need some help.

I will try to post more messages in the future about my intent for days around Seattle in the hope that it may inspire you to get back out there for a session.   I believe that my windsurf foiling level is good enough now  to keep a good watch over others out on the lake who may need some help.

--Glenn Reichenbach

Hi Glenn,

I’m glad to read you are still getting on the water a lot(!!). And successfully ventured into the new ways of having fun on the water – foils, winging, etc.  It cracks me up when they (the young guys) refer to windsurfers as finners like it’s some ancient sport that only a few are keeping alive.

I haven’t been able to sail for several years. I think you might remember that I have Parkinson’s Disease which is a progressive disease which is keeping me off of the water. Sometimes when my meds kick in well I think I could sail. I would make several sailors onshore aware of what I was attempting to do, and to keep an eye on me. But God help me if I go “off” – a condition where my meds have worn off and I’m in need of more. Anxiety, like having trouble water-starting while a 1/2 mile offshore in rising or dying winds, can bring me into an “off” state very quickly. When I’m ‘off’ I can hardly walk, I’m weak, and have poor balance, anxious, etc. I would have trouble just getting myself out of the water, let alone carry a windsurfer and that’s assuming I made it back to shore. I have kept one set of gear – a board, one quiver + accessories, in hopes that a cure comes and/or I’m in great conditions – steady, and maybe onshore, winds. I guess it’s ok to dream.

Anyway, I will continue to vicariously enjoy the sport through your’s and others’ posts!

Cheers and be safe,

-Bill Smersh

Greg Mejlaender

Hi Glenn, thanks for sharing this very nice post !!!

And yes, we appreciate your reports from sailing excursions & the cool pics!

YOU are really making retirement look VERY WINDERFUL... I mean, wonderful... no actually, I guess I do mean, winderful:)

From: nw-windtalk@groups.io <nw-windtalk@groups.io> on behalf of Glenn Reichenbach via groups.io <glenngjr@...>
Sent: Saturday, May 21, 2022 11:58 PM
To: nw-windtalk@groups.io <nw-windtalk@groups.io>
Subject: [nw-windtalk] Event Site Friday 20 May 2022

Hi Bill,

--Glenn Reichenbach

Hi Glenn,
Cheers and be safe,
-Bill Smersh