From: Alan Allegret <alanallegret@...>
Date: 5/21/22 12:47 PM (GMT-08:00)
To: nw-windtalk@groups.io
Subject: Re: [nw-windtalk] City League #3 May 18

They added a third picture to the Seattle Times article! With 2 windsurfers which I don't recognize but one of them has a big N on the sail, is that Not maybe?

On Fri, May 20, 2022, 6:23 PM Eric Eckstein <ericeckstein@...> wrote:
I ended up rigging a 4.4m^2 sail to a much-too-long 430cm mast, with many thanks owed to Darius for his technical, spiritual, and hardware contributions.  But it was worth it, holy cow!  I had my first waterstarts on Lake Washington go well, it was just like getting lifted up by some divine force.  And by about 7:30, the wind had calmed enough that I could make a couple flights on the new I-84 wing.  I'm glad to have survived the wind-happening without any hardware or bodily failures.  Greg, what can I say, you could have been famous had you just trekked back for your PFD!  (Or infamous had you not made it back to shore, but I'll just assume that you had plenty of safety margin left in you, because that makes me feel better.)

Alan Allegret

[...]

Eric Eckstein

I ended up rigging a 4.4m^2 sail to a much-too-long 430cm mast, with many thanks owed to Darius for his technical, spiritual, and hardware contributions.  But it was worth it, holy cow!  I had my first waterstarts on Lake Washington go well, it was just like getting lifted up by some divine force.  And by about 7:30, the wind had calmed enough that I could make a couple flights on the new I-84 wing.  I'm glad to have survived the wind-happening without any hardware or bodily failures.  Greg, what can I say, you could have been famous had you just trekked back for your PFD!  (Or infamous had you not made it back to shore, but I'll just assume that you had plenty of safety margin left in you, because that makes me feel better.)

Greg Mejlaender

I got calls today from 3 family members, "Hey Greg, I saw windsurfers in the Seattle Times!".

Yes, you guys are famous!

And good publicity for City League :)

Jacquie went out & bought the paper.
There it is, page A-7... the first page of the NW section. And it's BIG, takes up most of the newspaper page!!!

Greg :)

From: Eric Eckstein <ericeckstein@...>
Date: 5/19/22 8:20 AM (GMT-08:00)

Alan and Nikolay made the news.  I guess they didn't want to print the shots of me swimming after my board, haha.

--

Daniel Oliver

I put together some video and photos from yesterday.

Not the best quality but it’s something for those of you on the water and not taking video ;D

Daniel

From: Rick Martin <segler999@...>
Date: 5/19/22 8:24 AM (GMT-08:00)
To: zNW-Windtalk <nw-windtalk@groups.io>

...but did you race?

Rick

On Thu, May 19, 2022 at 8:23 AM Greg Mejlaender <gregnw44@...> wrote:
Trust me... you will never see another local wind history graph for the south end of Lake Washington in May... like the image I just posted.

20 - 40 mph wind from noon to 8:30.
Avg wind during that time 25 - 35 mph.
All from the south, almost no shift in direction.
In mid May with tons of daylight.
No rain.
In fact, sunshine & blue sky the whole time.

This has never happened before. And you won't ever see it again.

Greg -

Don Ledford

I think wings are a lot less scary than sails in high winds. There's less hard stuff flying around and it's less complex. No issue, for example, with getting a leg or ankle trapped between the mast and the board. The board is also much smaller and wind doesn't grab it as much. I did have some leash tangles, but not a big deal.

I had a moment of confusion when suddenly stalling while reaching upwind. I figured out it was caused by a gust hitting my body.

It did seem extra choppy yesterday and constructive interference would playfully reach up to grab the board's nose. After a couple of face plants I started paying more attention than usual to height.

I'm hoping this is the new normal. A couple of days per week like this would be most excellent.

On 5/19/22 08:23, Greg Mejlaender wrote:
Trust me... you will never see another local wind history graph for the south end of Lake Washington in May... like the image I just posted.

20 - 40 mph wind from noon to 8:30.
Avg wind during that time 25 - 35 mph.
All from the south, almost no shift in direction.
In mid May with tons of daylight.
No rain.
In fact, sunshine & blue sky the whole time.

This has never happened before. And you won't ever see it again.

Greg -

Rick Martin

[...]

I launched from Newcastle before the first race to test my new 105+ fuselage with the 650 wing. I paired it with my 135l foilboard and 3.7 fringe. That combo needed too much speed (planning speed) to be flying so it was challenging so I decided to switch the fuse for the 115+ and the 800 wing. When I was taking the new fuse apart, I noticed that the wing was not sitting flush because the back of the wing was protruding 1.5-2 mm, effectively changing it angle. I am pretty sure that messed up the foil’s behavior so I will contact the shop where I bought it from.

anyway, by the time I was done switching fuses and going back to water, all the sailors were scattered around so I decided to just do my own thing. the second session was way better than the first one even though I was almost all the time way overpowered. I was sure not to let the boom go during crashes because that would have meant to swim a lot. It was nice to see a big crowd.

After talking with others, I gathered the wind was around 25-30 mph, gusting up to 40. Do you think that is accurate?

Wilson