City League #3 May 18

Greg Mejlaender

Yeah... very cool !!!

That's Nir on the left... and Troy on the right.

I'd love to read each of their "stories" from last Wed :)

-------- Original message --------
Date: 5/21/22 12:47 PM (GMT-08:00)
To: nw-windtalk@groups.io
Subject: Re: [nw-windtalk] City League #3 May 18

They added a third picture to the Seattle Times article! With 2 windsurfers which I don't recognize but one of them has a big N on the sail, is that Not maybe?

On Fri, May 20, 2022, 6:23 PM Eric Eckstein <ericeckstein@...> wrote:
I ended up rigging a 4.4m^2 sail to a much-too-long 430cm mast, with many thanks owed to Darius for his technical, spiritual, and hardware contributions.  But it was worth it, holy cow!  I had my first waterstarts on Lake Washington go well, it was just like getting lifted up by some divine force.  And by about 7:30, the wind had calmed enough that I could make a couple flights on the new I-84 wing.  I'm glad to have survived the wind-happening without any hardware or bodily failures.  Greg, what can I say, you could have been famous had you just trekked back for your PFD!  (Or infamous had you not made it back to shore, but I'll just assume that you had plenty of safety margin left in you, because that makes me feel better.)

Alan Allegret

They added a third picture to the Seattle Times article! With 2 windsurfers which I don't recognize but one of them has a big N on the sail, is that Not maybe?

On Fri, May 20, 2022, 6:23 PM Eric Eckstein <ericeckstein@...> wrote:
I ended up rigging a 4.4m^2 sail to a much-too-long 430cm mast, with many thanks owed to Darius for his technical, spiritual, and hardware contributions.  But it was worth it, holy cow!  I had my first waterstarts on Lake Washington go well, it was just like getting lifted up by some divine force.  And by about 7:30, the wind had calmed enough that I could make a couple flights on the new I-84 wing.  I'm glad to have survived the wind-happening without any hardware or bodily failures.  Greg, what can I say, you could have been famous had you just trekked back for your PFD!  (Or infamous had you not made it back to shore, but I'll just assume that you had plenty of safety margin left in you, because that makes me feel better.)

Eric Eckstein

Greg Mejlaender

I got calls today from 3 family members, "Hey Greg, I saw windsurfers in the Seattle Times!".

Yes, you guys are famous!

And good publicity for City League :)

Jacquie went out & bought the paper.
There it is, page A-7... the first page of the NW section. And it's BIG, takes up most of the newspaper page!!!

Greg :)

Date: 5/19/22 12:15 PM (GMT-08:00)

Funny you mention that. Yesterday I used for the first time this year my 3/2 long wetsuit and I was totally fine. But I got cold very quickly when bringing my sail to the car. 

On Thu, May 19, 2022 at 12:07 Greg Mejlaender <gregnw44@...> wrote:
Yes, thanks Eric & Wilson for posting the link to the pics & "long captions with info"... in the Seattle Times today!

Eric is the one who made this happen :)

The nice photo journalist showed up right in the heat of the moment, when we were trying to rig, get wetsuits on & get out there!
Of course I 'had' to chat with him. He asked a ton of excellent questions, & I gave him background & info on what usually happens & said "this evening is NOT usual".

Anyway, thanks Eric, it's all really cool. But I'm blaming that guy (just a little) for me forgetting to put on more 'cold water protection' & my life jacket (both which would've helped me immensely... 20 min later).

Date: 5/19/22 8:20 AM (GMT-08:00)

Alan and Nikolay made the news.  I guess they didn't want to print the shots of me swimming after my board, haha.  

--

Daniel Oliver

I put together some video and photos from yesterday.

Not the best quality but it’s something for those of you on the water and not taking video ;D

Daniel

On May 19, 2022, at 12:15 PM, Wilson <wilsonsosapadilla@...> wrote:

Funny you mention that. Yesterday I used for the first time this year my 3/2 long wetsuit and I was totally fine. But I got cold very quickly when bringing my sail to the car. 

Yes, thanks Eric & Wilson for posting the link to the pics & "long captions with info"... in the Seattle Times today!

The nice photo journalist showed up right in the heat of the moment, when we were trying to rig, get wetsuits on & get out there!
Of course I 'had' to chat with him. He asked a ton of excellent questions, & I gave him background & info on what usually happens & said "this evening is NOT usual".

Anyway, thanks Eric, it's all really cool. But I'm blaming that guy (just a little) for me forgetting to put on more 'cold water protection' & my life jacket (both which would've helped me immensely... 20 min later).

Alan and Nikolay made the news.  I guess they didn't want to print the shots of me swimming after my board, haha.  

--

Wilson

--

Greg Mejlaender

Don Ledford

Getting started on a small board in rough conditions is a bit tricky and I think it's easier to water-start windsurfing gear. Once on my knees with the wing overhead it's easy to get back up with the wing, but getting to that state can be problematic. I often slide off the board when trying to flip the wing and then there's the whole leash management aspect. One of the many advantages to being a klutz is I get a lot of practice crawling back onto my board.

Once flying, however, I can manage the fluctuations in power better with a wing than I could with a sail since I have another dimension of available positioning. It's also much faster to trigger the power off and on with the wing since I don't have to reach for the sail boom.

Yesterday, however, would not have been fun for me earlier in my learning curve.  I'd have been walking back from Enatai park. (But carrying light gear.)

On 5/19/22 11:32, andreas macke wrote:
Don wrote:

I think wings are a lot less scary than sails in high winds.

Hmm - I was working during the really big blow in Bellingham yesterday (good thing, too - I don't have a sail small enough, nor a foil slow/controlled enough, to make 40 knot gusts work for me), but got to play in the late afternoon when things had calmed down a fair bit. At that point, it was SW-ish 15-25, with the occasional 30 knot gust. Like an idiot, expecting things to drop quickly (as it usually does after frontal passage up here), I foiled with a 5.5 and my Moses 720. And would have been way better off with a 4.2 - there weren't a whole lot of holes below 15 knots, and there were lots of gusts. I'm still stunned by how fun and flowy windfoiling can be even with that much of a miscalculation on sail size, with the glide of the foil smoothing things out.

But to Don't point - from a 'will this kill me' perspective, perhaps a wing is less intimidating when the smoke starts blowing. But then you're on (or around) a board not connected to your rig. And that's the part that's scary to me about winging when it gets a little furry (that's as far as I've gotten with that) - you struggle with coordinating two pieces of gear, leashed to both of them, one of which has a foil attached to it. Maybe it's because after 4 decades of water starting, the whole piece about managing a windsurf setup when things get gnarly is second nature. But yesterday, a local winger commented to me that windsurfing/windfoiling seems better adapted to the confused waterstate (big 4' plus swells running from the south, mixed with 1-2' of SW/W cross chop) and gusty/shifty winds. Specifically, he was commenting on how waterstarting looked seamless for me, whereas for him it was a major struggle to get situated on his knees or butt, all while getting tossed all over the place with the gusts trying to rip the wing away from him. And hey, winging is new, so even though he's an accomplished kiter, he's only a couple years into his progression. But man, I do like the crutch of having my rig connected to my board and having the ability to easily meter how much power I want while controlling my board's position with subtle movements of the rig at any time from clearing the sail through getting on the board.

andreas macke

Don wrote:
I think wings are a lot less scary than sails in high winds. 

Hmm - I was working during the really big blow in Bellingham yesterday (good thing, too - I don't have a sail small enough, nor a foil slow/controlled enough, to make 40 knot gusts work for me), but got to play in the late afternoon when things had calmed down a fair bit. At that point, it was SW-ish 15-25, with the occasional 30 knot gust. Like an idiot, expecting things to drop quickly (as it usually does after frontal passage up here), I foiled with a 5.5 and my Moses 720. And would have been way better off with a 4.2 - there weren't a whole lot of holes below 15 knots, and there were lots of gusts. I'm still stunned by how fun and flowy windfoiling can be even with that much of a miscalculation on sail size, with the glide of the foil smoothing things out.

But to Don't point - from a 'will this kill me' perspective, perhaps a wing is less intimidating when the smoke starts blowing. But then you're on (or around) a board not connected to your rig. And that's the part that's scary to me about winging when it gets a little furry (that's as far as I've gotten with that) - you struggle with coordinating two pieces of gear, leashed to both of them, one of which has a foil attached to it. Maybe it's because after 4 decades of water starting, the whole piece about managing a windsurf setup when things get gnarly is second nature. But yesterday, a local winger commented to me that windsurfing/windfoiling seems better adapted to the confused waterstate (big 4' plus swells running from the south, mixed with 1-2' of SW/W cross chop) and gusty/shifty winds. Specifically, he was commenting on how waterstarting looked seamless for me, whereas for him it was a major struggle to get situated on his knees or butt, all while getting tossed all over the place with the gusts trying to rip the wing away from him. And hey, winging is new, so even though he's an accomplished kiter, he's only a couple years into his progression. But man, I do like the crutch of having my rig connected to my board and having the ability to easily meter how much power I want while controlling my board's position with subtle movements of the rig at any time from clearing the sail through getting on the board.

Don Ledford

Yes - 3m2. It feels like a joke and I need to be the bumble bee to generate pull when pumping. But - I was lit the whole time.

Your board's bottom looked bigger than my wing. It isn't really, but there was plenty of lift available if it got exposed.

I was surprised to see photos of Greg comfortably sailing his long board. Kinda nuts.

On 5/19/22 10:58, Darius Lajauskas wrote:
Didn't expect so much wind at Newcastle yesterday. When arrived saw Don with kids size wing 3m? Never saw him with such small wing.

Darius Lajauskas

Didn't expect so much wind at Newcastle yesterday. When arrived saw Don with kids size wing 3m? Never saw him with such small wing. 

Had smallest 3.7m Goya Fringe and sail worked flawlessly, but brought my wide foil board 91cm and 1000 wing and was hard to control sometimes. Took a while to things sorted out to balance point. Later was much better hooked in.

At bouy area was even more windy. Railing board upwind can feel gusts pressure on board. Downwind was very nice, mostly flagging and flying. Moments there saw spray flying over water.

Decided to cancel foiling due increased personal property damage...

Thanks for pictures Stefan!

Epic nuts day!

Darius

On Thu, May 19, 2022, 9:00 AM Alan Allegret <alanallegret@...> wrote:
That was pretty nuts yesterday, so much to unpack. I was definitely too tired to post anything last night.
Thanks for the pictures Stefan! And so funny to see a journalist from Seattle Times lol (mom will be proud!)

No racing no. We had planned to kinda gather around the starting line for a picture. But 5min in the water, I figured the conditions were too tough for even doing that, so I did what everybody else did: my own thing.
I think Darius, Nikolay and I all did at least one full back & forth to the buoy, I count 6 on my Strava map. But there was no official start or anything.
Jon did amazingly well on the foil yesterday too, nice job!

Among the things I saw: a huge log and a few tree branches floating around. A finner's rig fly away from him (unsure who that was). Didn't see but heard of Nikolay's adventure against the dock. I mean it was just crazy.

The only sad thing was Greg getting super cold and hurting his knee. How is the knee this morning Greg?

image.png

On Thu, May 19, 2022 at 8:46 AM Plamen Petkov <plamen69petkov@...> wrote:
I went out before the skippers meeting on 5.2 4 cam sail (the smallest one I own) from the beach side. Got my board flipped twice trying to uphaul. Ended water starting, I could only luff the sail. Went to the middle where the wind was cranking over 40MPH couldn't  even luff the sail at that point only holding it by the uphaul line. Got back the same way, no sailing, barely surviving.

There were handful of brave souls out there, Craig on his WindsurferOne, Alan was doing great, Wilson and Darius also there and some others.

I didn't see any actual racing.

Plamen

On Thu, May 19, 2022 at 8:24 AM Rick Martin <segler999@...> wrote:
...but did you race?

Rick

On Thu, May 19, 2022 at 8:23 AM Greg Mejlaender <gregnw44@...> wrote:
Trust me... you will never see another local wind history graph for the south end of Lake Washington in May... like the image I just posted.

20 - 40 mph wind from noon to 8:30.
Avg wind during that time 25 - 35 mph.
All from the south, almost no shift in direction.
In mid May with tons of daylight.
No rain.
In fact, sunshine & blue sky the whole time.

This has never happened before. And you won't ever see it again.

Greg -

Alan Allegret

That was pretty nuts yesterday, so much to unpack. I was definitely too tired to post anything last night.
Thanks for the pictures Stefan! And so funny to see a journalist from Seattle Times lol (mom will be proud!)

No racing no. We had planned to kinda gather around the starting line for a picture. But 5min in the water, I figured the conditions were too tough for even doing that, so I did what everybody else did: my own thing.
I think Darius, Nikolay and I all did at least one full back & forth to the buoy, I count 6 on my Strava map. But there was no official start or anything.
Jon did amazingly well on the foil yesterday too, nice job!

Among the things I saw: a huge log and a few tree branches floating around. A finner's rig fly away from him (unsure who that was). Didn't see but heard of Nikolay's adventure against the dock. I mean it was just crazy.

The only sad thing was Greg getting super cold and hurting his knee. How is the knee this morning Greg?

image.png

On Thu, May 19, 2022 at 8:46 AM Plamen Petkov <plamen69petkov@...> wrote:
I went out before the skippers meeting on 5.2 4 cam sail (the smallest one I own) from the beach side. Got my board flipped twice trying to uphaul. Ended water starting, I could only luff the sail. Went to the middle where the wind was cranking over 40MPH couldn't  even luff the sail at that point only holding it by the uphaul line. Got back the same way, no sailing, barely surviving.

There were handful of brave souls out there, Craig on his WindsurferOne, Alan was doing great, Wilson and Darius also there and some others.

Plamen

...but did you race?

Rick

Trust me... you will never see another local wind history graph for the south end of Lake Washington in May... like the image I just posted.

No rain.

Greg -

Plamen Petkov

Plamen

...but did you race?

Rick

No rain.

Greg -

Greg Mejlaender

No... racing...

Turn your ph sideways and zoom in... to get the detail... on that screen shot I posted.

The conditions I just posted about would've made for an Epic Gorge Cup slalom race! With lots of experts & pros set up for that.
And with Darren, his boat, his pro buoys & anchors!
That's what you need for a Race in those conditions. 

Sinker shortboards & little sails - like Don F used at Waverly yesterday & Nir used at Newcastle last evening. And lots of other Gorge sailors were probably out, all over Lk Washington yesterday. Absolutely EPIC.

We now have lots of local windfoilers - that are fit enough... and skilled enough... and have the right gear... to sail (fly) in these conditions. Andreas, Corrie, Glenn & all you others... woulda loved it :)
And the new crop of super skilled local windfoiler's that came to Newcastle last evening & went out - with the right: fitness, skills & gear... we're AMAZING!!!
Darius, Alan, Wilson, Nikolay... wow, very impressive...

Date: 5/19/22 8:24 AM (GMT-08:00)
To: zNW-Windtalk <nw-windtalk@groups.io>

...but did you race?

Rick

No rain.

Greg -

Don Ledford

I think wings are a lot less scary than sails in high winds. There's less hard stuff flying around and it's less complex. No issue, for example, with getting a leg or ankle trapped between the mast and the board. The board is also much smaller and wind doesn't grab it as much. I did have some leash tangles, but not a big deal.

I had a moment of confusion when suddenly stalling while reaching upwind. I figured out it was caused by a gust hitting my body.

It did seem extra choppy yesterday and constructive interference would playfully reach up to grab the board's nose. After a couple of face plants I started paying more attention than usual to height.

I'm hoping this is the new normal. A couple of days per week like this would be most excellent.

On 5/19/22 08:23, Greg Mejlaender wrote:

No rain.

Greg -

Rick Martin

...but did you race?

Rick

No rain.

Greg -

Greg Mejlaender

No rain.

Greg -

Eric Eckstein

Greg Mejlaender

Date: 5/19/22 7:39 AM (GMT-08:00)

I launched from Newcastle before the first race to test my new 105+ fuselage with the 650 wing. I paired it with my 135l foilboard and 3.7 fringe. That combo needed too much speed (planning speed) to be flying so it was challenging so I decided to switch the fuse for the 115+ and the 800 wing. When I was taking the new fuse apart, I noticed that the wing was not sitting flush because the back of the wing was protruding 1.5-2 mm, effectively changing it angle. I am pretty sure that messed up the foil’s behavior so I will contact the shop where I bought it from. 

anyway, by the time I was done switching fuses and going back to water, all the sailors were scattered around so I decided to just do my own thing. the second session was way better than the first one even though I was almost all the time way overpowered. I was sure not to let the boom go during crashes because that would have meant to swim a lot. It was nice to see a big crowd. 

After talking with others, I gathered the wind was around 25-30 mph, gusting up to 40. Do you think that is accurate?

Wilson

I launched from Newcastle before the first race to test my new 105+ fuselage with the 650 wing. I paired it with my 135l foilboard and 3.7 fringe. That combo needed too much speed (planning speed) to be flying so it was challenging so I decided to switch the fuse for the 115+ and the 800 wing. When I was taking the new fuse apart, I noticed that the wing was not sitting flush because the back of the wing was protruding 1.5-2 mm, effectively changing it angle. I am pretty sure that messed up the foil’s behavior so I will contact the shop where I bought it from. 

anyway, by the time I was done switching fuses and going back to water, all the sailors were scattered around so I decided to just do my own thing. the second session was way better than the first one even though I was almost all the time way overpowered. I was sure not to let the boom go during crashes because that would have meant to swim a lot. It was nice to see a big crowd. 

After talking with others, I gathered the wind was around 25-30 mph, gusting up to 40. Do you think that is accurate?