City League #3 May 18

Greg Mejlaender

From this morning's KOMOnews.com weather forecast narrative.
Online now, see for yourself :)

"Widespread rain will make for a wet commute early Wednesday morning (many hours before City League). And conditions will turn increasingly windy as the next storm curls into Vancouver Island (before the Skipper's Meeting).
Gusts could potentially top 30 mph with a sharp cold front sweeping through the lowlands. Sun emerges for many Wednesday afternoon (especially near south Lk Washington... just in time for the first race).
Yet in the wake of the departing front, strong onshore winds enable a convergence zone of showers to develop over North Sound, where an isolated thunderstorm could pop over Snohomish and Skagit County. (However, 50 miles south of that, the sun & wind continues all evening in the Newcastle area)."

Meteorologist Kristin Clark
The KOMO 4-Cast Team

Updated Monday Morning

Edited by,

Greg :)

Plamen Petkov

Would be great.
 If only meteorologists can get it right 2-3 days in advance....🤣😂

On Mon, May 16, 2022, 9:48 AM Greg Mejlaender <gregnw44@...> wrote:
From this morning's KOMOnews.com weather forecast narrative.
[...]

Haha... yeah, exactly!
I totally agree :)

Maybe... just maybe...

I mean, it would be cool to have more 7m sails out there... than 11m sails!

Note - in the 45 year tradition of City League, there's always 1 or 2 days, every couple of years... when we do get a WINDY Wed evening.
And on the windiest of those days: shortboards & small sails come out... and newer sailors get blown down the course, cause they picked a sail too big.
I remember a couple at Des Moines in the 2000's.
And a few at Magnuson in the early 90's.

It's one of the reasons that the people who started City League... scheduled it to start, first of May. Because there's always a chance to get a big spring wind storm in Seattle this time of year. We never get a big wind event in Seattle in the summer.

 If only meteorologists can get it right 2-3 days in advance....🤣😂

On Mon, May 16, 2022, 9:48 AM Greg Mejlaender <gregnw44@...> wrote:
From this morning's KOMOnews.com weather forecast narrative.
[...]

Alan Allegret

It's getting real. All models still currently agree it'll be blowing until well after dark!
But I will believe it when I see it: more than once this was the case and somehow we still get skunked on Lake WA, especially on Southerlies
Bring all your sails and all your boards tomorrow!

On Mon, May 16, 2022, 10:16 AM Greg Mejlaender <gregnw44@...> wrote:
[...]

From this morning's KOMOnews.com weather forecast narrative.
[...]

This evening might be the windiest City League in quite a few years! There sure is lots of hype about strong winds this afternoon. And it looks likely to me as well, especially mid-day... in Puget Sound. And on the lake it's supposed to be windiest during the mid-day as well.
I think it'll still be good & breezy this evening too, but certainly less than this afternoon. And for sure less on the Lake, compared to the Sound.
Will this evening at Newcastle be 10-20 mph stuff... or 15-25... we will see?!?!?!
No Convergence Zone issues till very late & only up N. So there's no CZ worry for Newcastle.
And even better... the wide-spread rain for the first part of the day is forecast to dry out at the S end of the lake in time for rigging & Skipper's Meeting later today!

No rain & good wind till dark... in mid-May... WOW, will we have the biggest turnout for a City League event in two decades?
Can we get the summer Gorge sailors out... & winter-time Seattle storm sailors out with us ???

The course will be easy... the start / finish line is off the Dock. The wind's supposed to be SW (but could clock more westerly). The only buoy we turn around, will be 1/4 to 1/2 mile upwind (south) of Newcastle dock... and approx 100-200' off shore.
Note - Our home-made buoy will be way downwind of Pleasure Point (which shows up on google maps, search Pleasure Point Renton). So the choppy swell will be much less where the buoy is... vs the middle of the channel where the swells could get bigger!
If the buoy stays in place we will use it... but, I don't expect the 2 1/2 lb round weight to hold it... if we have real wind. It'll probably blow the buoy back towards the Newcastle dock.
If (when) this happens we can sail to the next permanent shore marker buoy that King County places around the lake... also approx 150' off- shore. We will discuss this at the Skipper's Meeting! (Another option is - if our buoy drifts downwind back towards Newcastle in 20 mph wind... but later the wind drops to 15... one of us can tow the buoy back upwind.)

So if we really get some WIND in the 10-20 or 15-25 mph range... lots of gear will be fun!
Performance longboards - formula boards - all windfoil boards - slalom boards - free-ride boards... and whatever sail works for you in that wind. It's all up to you, I'm not making any predictions, haha!

Greg:)

Greg Mejlaender

Other stuff for CL tonight, besides weather!
Try to arrive at Newcastle in time to - rig your gear & carry it all to the beach (a long, flat walk from the parking lot)... and use the nice bathroom & get your wetsuit & booties on... have a snack, etc... and be basically ready to go, in time for the 5:30-ish Skipper's Meeting. The Meeting will be on the grassy knoll, by the beach, dock & restrooms. After the Meeting, we'll launch. Probably get the first race going about 6-ish.
If you get there later, that's fine... just ask questions about what you should do.

We will make a decision at the Meeting about Gold & Silver Fleets - 1 start or 2 starts - describe the course, 1 lap or 2 laps, etc.

An important rule or etiquette issue is - PLEASE don't clog-up the start & finish area! The ONLY sailors that should be hanging out in this area, are the sailors getting ready to start (or later, the sailors that have just finished).
Last week, we decided at the Meeting to start the Silver Fleet first & then the Gold Fleet would start 3-4 min later. BUT the Silver's had a tough time maneuvering to start, getting in the right position, sailing across the start line... cause several gold fleet-ers were down in the water, chatting, & clogging this space.
It's not a big deal... and we hadn't discussed this yet, this year. But anyway, it's fine to drop your sail, raft up, and chat all you want. But please do it, either a bit farther out in the Lake... or more downwind, from the starting area. Anyway, you'll figure it out... just allow plenty of space for the other group to maneuver & get in position:)
AND don't worry about being super close to hear the whistle!!! I mean, if you're out in the Lake, rafting up, chatting... you can still see the other fleet getting ready to cross the line. And as they're getting ready to do that, I'd uphaul & start moving closer. You know the next 3 min starting sequence will be coming up shortly, after the other fleet starts.
And THIS is the same if we're between races & you want to go out & sail around, practice, adjust harness lines, etc. You don't have to hear the whistle to know when the next 3 min countdown is getting close. Because after you see the other fleet start, then you know your start sequence is coming up soon! So sail back closer to the dock area... & you'll hear the whistle just fine!

We'll probably run races from about 6-ish to about 8-ish. But this is variable, ask questions if you're curious. And of course, you can get there late if you have to, but this isn't advised for new people, cause you don't know what's happening. If you are late, go meet the Race Committee person & introduce yourself... & ask what's going on. The RC person will be out on the Dock.

Everyone should have a sail number or letter on their sail, unless the RC person knows you really well & can ID you out in the lake & write your name down on the finishing list. If you're using a diff sail this evening, bring black electrical tape & allow time to put 'some easy looking ID' on your sail. I also have some tape if you need it.

Important - Everyone NEEDS to register with the RC person before the Skipper's Meeting (or at the meeting). All we need is your name & sail ID.
Next - In Addition to the sail ID... if you're in the Silver Fleet, you need to find me or the roll of bright, red-orange, thin, plastic tape (that's passed around at the park)... & tie a 6' length of this 'red streamer' onto the back of your boom.
If you get there late, and or, don't do any of these things... & you're not close personal friends with the RC person... then, don't expect to get counted when you finish a race:)

Greg -

Yoav Srebrnik

FYI construction work in Newcastle.
Limited parking.only 1/3 is open for public right now.

On Wed, May 18, 2022, 10:02 AM Greg Mejlaender <gregnw44@...> wrote:
[...]

OH NOOO.....

Sunshine... AND... Wind... and City League... all on the same day !!!

But... limited parking... and a longer walk to the water... ARGH:(

(Does anyone have connections to the Bellevue Mayor... or Bellevue Parks Dept:)

[...]

BTW, we're GO for City League today at Newcastle... as if there was any question :)

See all previous posts for all info!

I just drove by Newcastle Beach on the freeway. And from up on 405, it looks like the Event Site... or Baja... or Maui... down there right now!

[...]

BTW, of course we want anybody who can sail... to come & sail / race with us!

But if you can't sail, or already sailed earlier today & are worn-out.
It'd be really cool to have some pics of City League with blue sky & whitecaps.

THIS, could turn out to be a very rare CL day indeed !!!
Thanks, Greg :)

Marc

Hurt my leg so won’t be able to make it. I am really 🙁

On Wed, May 18, 2022 at 2:16 PM Greg Mejlaender <gregnw44@...> wrote:
BTW, of course we want anybody who can sail... to come & sail / race with us!

But if you can't sail, or already sailed earlier today & are worn-out.
It'd be really cool to have some pics of City League with blue sky & whitecaps.

THIS, could turn out to be a very rare CL day indeed !!!
Thanks, Greg :)

Eric Eckstein

Just got here, it's looking to be epic.

Would anyone happen to have a 400cm RDM mast I could borrow for the evening?  I have a small sail, but my only mast is a 430 and it's a bit too long.

Guislain

Sorry, I will miss it, due to family scheduling conflict (CalPoly College of Math & Science Awards).

Would love to see some pics, and some slo-mo video of these catapult crashes 😉.

Guislain

Plamen Petkov

Races CANCELED

die to high winds🤣

No kidding

On Wed, May 18, 2022, 6:08 PM Guislain <glagron@...> wrote:
Sorry, I will miss it, due to family scheduling conflict (CalPoly College of Math & Science Awards).

Would love to see some pics, and some slo-mo video of these catapult crashes 😉.

Guislain

Stefan Kinnestrand

I went down to Newcastle and took some pictures from the dock of the intrepid sailors that braved the conditions.  Take a look at https://1drv.ms/u/s!AjRi6V9Pb_JukvYhDBNu-ZqPpqi2lg?e=eKmJru if interested.

I’ve rarely seen such consistently strong winds in Seattle while the sun was shining.  It would have been a good day for 3.7 finning, but, alas, I have a broken wrist in a cast and will have to stay off the water for a while.  Hanging out and watching others was fun though.

Stefan

[...]

Wilson

I launched from Newcastle before the first race to test my new 105+ fuselage with the 650 wing. I paired it with my 135l foilboard and 3.7 fringe. That combo needed too much speed (planning speed) to be flying so it was challenging so I decided to switch the fuse for the 115+ and the 800 wing. When I was taking the new fuse apart, I noticed that the wing was not sitting flush because the back of the wing was protruding 1.5-2 mm, effectively changing it angle. I am pretty sure that messed up the foil’s behavior so I will contact the shop where I bought it from.

anyway, by the time I was done switching fuses and going back to water, all the sailors were scattered around so I decided to just do my own thing. the second session was way better than the first one even though I was almost all the time way overpowered. I was sure not to let the boom go during crashes because that would have meant to swim a lot. It was nice to see a big crowd.

After talking with others, I gathered the wind was around 25-30 mph, gusting up to 40. Do you think that is accurate?

Greg Mejlaender

[...]

Alan and Nikolay made the news.  I guess they didn't want to print the shots of me swimming after my board, haha.

Greg Mejlaender

Trust me... you will never see another local wind history graph for the south end of Lake Washington in May... like the image I just posted.

20 - 40 mph wind from noon to 8:30.
Avg wind during that time 25 - 35 mph.
All from the south, almost no shift in direction.
In mid May with tons of daylight.
No rain.
In fact, sunshine & blue sky the whole time.

This has never happened before. And you won't ever see it again.

Greg -

Rick Martin

...but did you race?

Rick