Topics

Wing surfing

djpersons@...

There was a conversation on here a while back about wing surfing…. I preorderd a Naish Wing from Big Winds a could months ago, and I got one of the first ones delivered on Friday.  I’m going to start out just learning to fly and handle the wing on a big sup board, and see how it goes.

I’ve got commitments today but I’m going to Denny park tomorrow.  You’re welcome to stop by and take a look, or give it go.

Doug

Mike

Doug,
What time are you planning on being there?
Mike

On Jun 29, 2019, at 10:05 AM, djpersons@... wrote:

There was a conversation on here a while back about wing surfing…. I preorderd a Naish Wing from Big Winds a could months ago, and I got one of the first ones delivered on Friday.  I’m going to start out just learning to fly and handle the wing on a big sup board, and see how it goes.

I’ve got commitments today but I’m going to Denny park tomorrow.  You’re welcome to stop by and take a look, or give it go.

Doug

djpersons@...

I’m thinking of getting there about 10:30, and staying until 4:00 or so.

Doug

What time are you planning on being there?

Mike

On Jun 29, 2019, at 10:05 AM, djpersons@... wrote:

There was a conversation on here a while back about wing surfing…. I preorderd a Naish Wing from Big Winds a could months ago, and I got one of the first ones delivered on Friday.  I’m going to start out just learning to fly and handle the wing on a big sup board, and see how it goes.

I’ve got commitments today but I’m going to Denny park tomorrow.  You’re welcome to stop by and take a look, or give it go.

Doug

Mike

I would love to see it in action. I will try to be there.

On Jun 29, 2019, at 10:35 AM, djpersons@... wrote:

I’m thinking of getting there about 10:30, and staying until 4:00 or so.

Doug

What time are you planning on being there?

Mike

On Jun 29, 2019, at 10:05 AM, djpersons@... wrote:

There was a conversation on here a while back about wing surfing…. I preorderd a Naish Wing from Big Winds a could months ago, and I got one of the first ones delivered on Friday.  I’m going to start out just learning to fly and handle the wing on a big sup board, and see how it goes.

I’ve got commitments today but I’m going to Denny park tomorrow.  You’re welcome to stop by and take a look, or give it go.

Doug

Greg Mejlaender

Doug, that's so cool you got the Naish version.
DanT just got the Duotone version. And I think Dan got on the Lake yesterday.
Greg :)

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

What time are you planning on being there?

Mike

On Jun 29, 2019, at 10:05 AM, djpersons@... wrote:

There was a conversation on here a while back about wing surfing…. I preorderd a Naish Wing from Big Winds a could months ago, and I got one of the first ones delivered on Friday.  I’m going to start out just learning to fly and handle the wing on a big sup board, and see how it goes.

I’ve got commitments today but I’m going to Denny park tomorrow.  You’re welcome to stop by and take a look, or give it go.

Doug

djpersons@...

I'm at Denny park and waiting for wind.

On Sat, Jun 29, 2019, 4:37 PM Greg Mejlaender <gregnw44@...> wrote:
Doug, that's so cool you got the Naish version.
DanT just got the Duotone version. And I think Dan got on the Lake yesterday.
Greg :)

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

What time are you planning on being there?

Mike

On Jun 29, 2019, at 10:05 AM, djpersons@... wrote:

There was a conversation on here a while back about wing surfing…. I preorderd a Naish Wing from Big Winds a could months ago, and I got one of the first ones delivered on Friday.  I’m going to start out just learning to fly and handle the wing on a big sup board, and see how it goes.

I’ve got commitments today but I’m going to Denny park tomorrow.  You’re welcome to stop by and take a look, or give it go.

Doug

Dan Taylor

Cool to hear of another wing in Seattle. I did get a little little session in off Seward Park southerly. Managed two foils, no whitecaps with Duotone 4m wing. At Indian Beach this wkend Oregon Surf foiling testing my new Dutchman 85L w/Axis foil. Headed to HR in the AM wind will be good for a couple days. Be at Swell most likely.

DanT

djpersons@...

Hi Dan,

If you have any tips, I’d love to hear them.  I am trying to learn this initially without a foil, and we’ll see how that goes.  Day one didn’t go as planned.  I went out to Denny Park today, but was unable to stay upwind.  I pretty much turned downwind as soon as I got on the board.  Fortunately Denny has a really long beachfront.

I took a 11' 3" surfboard SUP with a single fin.  The wing is very easy to fly - just pick it up and it hovers easily is just about any position with one hand.  And it's easy to move from the front handle to the strut, and up and down the strut.

When I get up on the board, wing flying, it immediately turns downwind.  Of course when that happens the apparent wind goes to near zero, and wing isn't supplying much turning force.  I tried kneeling and standing. I tired pumping the wing, but didn't find anything that worked yet.  Next time I'm going to take my Kona One board and put the daggerboard down.  I would have used it today, but it's not currently at home.

Doug

Mike

Dan,
You going to be in the gorge during the week. Would like to ask you about SUP foiling.
Mike Houston

On Jun 30, 2019, at 4:15 PM, djpersons@... wrote:

[...]

Grant MacDonald

Dan,

What are your thoughts on the relative power of the wing vs a similar sized sail? Wind range? Tunability?

Thanks,
Grant

Dan Taylor

Hi Doug, dagger will help staying upwind. When you do have enough wind keep the wingtip low to water (almost touching) and behind body it will force the board upwind.

Mike, I'll be at the Gorge till 4th/5th probably at Swell. Downwind swell to hatchery. Maybe Luhr Jensen if there's enough wind. In a Dark gray ProMaster highroof.

Dan Taylor

Grant, still figuring out the wind speed sail size but the Wing has a huge range for the fact you can just let it the depower it by letting it luff.

Turnability as in up and down wind similar if not more than windfoil short board. Like Tony, only limited by rider. Check out Alan Cadiz footage on Insta he does some fun stuff.

Working on foiling jibes and still trying to paddle foil on 30+ days. Have more to talk about as I progress.

DanT

Grant MacDonald

Don,

I meant TUNE-ability. As in how much changing the boom length effects power.
Sounds like they have the same depower ability as a kite does, so that definitely promises a lot of range.

What width is the board you're riding and are you running any straps?

Dan Taylor

Adding more pocket and flatting wing from single boom. "duotone". Other wings don't have that to my knowledge.

Was Kalama 5'6" x 27 new 98L. New one Dutchman 5"6 x27 85L approx half weight.and I'm 140lbs.

Yes straps but testing new configs. Can't wait to get dialed in for more play less testing.

Dan Taylor

Grant, today in marginal wind here's a bit of comparison wingfoil vs. windfoil. See video 20mgs assuming it comes through.

My setup 5.6 85L, 90cm foil, 4m wing (my first session with this setup) crazy pumping. Strapless right now.

Windfoil board?, 4.7 ezzy, 76cm slingshot. Rider +20lbs

Event site sensor 2pm, 9 with gusts to 14. I was foiling 80% of sesh. Later it picked up. Did 15miles arms ok. Legs a bit knackered from pumping so much.

Grant MacDonald

How much do you weigh again Dan? How is it getting up onto an 85L board in lighter wind? Does it feel like you could get back if the wind died down a bit?
It seems like the 4.0m wing might have similar power for foiling to a 4.5-5.0 sail, but with more "lift" if that makes sense?

Dan Taylor

140lbs, plenty of float. A bit of balance to hop up. Wind died and one guy was swimming back mid river (I offered him a tow but he wanted the exercise) I was able to balance and get enough wind to get upwind. In a real emergency on your knees is better. also placing boom on board standing jib gets you directly downwind with alot of control. 5m maybe a good comparison.

Grant MacDonald

So bodyweight in kg plus 20L feels fairly manageable? That would put me around 105-110L which is definitely just barely what I can uphaul on flat water.
I wonder if windsurf foil board could be used with the wing since I don't want to buy a SUP?

andreas macke

I guess after 40 years of windsurfing, I'm just an old coot yelling at clouds - but I can't help looking at wingsurfers and thinking that pretty much everything they have going on could be improved by simply connecting a rig to a board via a universal joint of some sort. Hmm - someone should try that...

Rick Martin

LOL my thoughts exactly.  Of course, I yell at clouds for lotsa different stuff.  LOL

At the Event Site the other day there were two of these wings out on the water.  Jose Gruart was one of them.  He used to be an expert windsurfer, but then went over to kiteboarding.  He was out on a floaty board trying to sail with a demo wings.  He was not impressed.

Rick