Re: Kitesurfing and everything else

Greg Mejlaender

< There is no conflict with Windsurfers because no windsurfers ever launch from Junita Bay (best of my knowledge living here last 16 years). It is too shallow, wind shadow on Northerly and very choppy on Southerly. >

Another way to say this might be - I haven't seen windsurfers in Juanita Bay over the last 16 years, so I suppose it's not the greatest spot?

And locals with many years windsurfing around here would say - "no, it's not the greatest spot... but it's ok."

Personally - I know 4 people (2 couples) who've windsurfed in Juanita Bay once or twice, in the last 3 years. 

And I sailed there MANY times in the late 80's & early 90's... along with dozens of other people!!!
Winter southerly's.

Of course... back then, there were thousands more windsurfers in the greater Seattle area... compared to now.
So... every place with water access, had windsurfers!
NW Sailboard magazine mentioned windsurfing in Juanita Bay.

Lastly, of course we can windsurf anywhere people are kiting. We both want the same thing. I like doing that & have never seen any conflict. Doesn't bother me a bit. I always smile & wave... and they always return the same :)

That being said, I certainly believe others here who've seen poor judgment, or poor behavior. And there are plenty of stories about that. But I like to think - that's the exception, not the rule :)

-------- Original message --------
Date: 11/24/21 9:46 PM (GMT-08:00)
To: nw-windtalk@groups.io
Subject: Re: [nw-windtalk] Kitesurfing and everything else

I am back from Real TOW to "Cyber Wind-Surfing".

There are probably two more perspectives I wanted to add:

1) How does it feel to be around Kiteboarders at Urban Surf Workshop ?:
It has been a while since both Royce and myself represented Windsurfing/Windfoiling Community at Urban Surf Weather Forecast Workshop.
Royce may provide his perspective.
Here is mine:
We were treated the same way as any other "wind worshipers" or "wind chasers". Actually, the presenter and other Urban Surf staff commented that they were windsurfers before becoming kiteboarders.
Interesting note: It must have been around year 2008 when I became they last Windsurfing Customer. So they told me, selling to me some of the last Windsurfing items: two mast bases / universal joints, one asymmetrical.
I was their Customer since around year 2000. 
Here is the posting I made afterwards to share both the Knowledge & the Resources:
https://groups.io/g/nw-windtalk/message/63459

2) Community service to Kiteboarders:
As I live walking distance to Juanita bay, and before COVID-19 hit the USA, I did rotate my camera at Juanita Bay and captured some action.
Juanita Bay is quite shallow so it is a popular training ground for kiteboarders year around. There is no conflict with Windsurfers because no windsurfers ever launch from Junita Bay (best of my knowledge living here last 16 years). It is too shallow, wind shadow on Northerly and very choppy on Southerly.
So I posted this YouTube Video and shared with them:
Kiteboarders having fun at Juanita Bay Kirkland Lake Washington near Seattle on Sunday Feb 23rd 2020.
Adding my Didgeridoo Soundtrack.
https://youtu.be/YYci6yR73n0
That led to another topic and my proposal: "My security camera is my security camera so it watches my backyard (or sometimes mailbox to catch the mail thief) but I can put another samara 70 feet up from the ground (same tree) and maintain it but someone needs to arrange / donate the camera - both for Windsurfing & Kiteboarding Community.
More details:
Life Camera for Juanita Bay, SSP & North of 520 Bridge for KiteBoarders & Windsurfers - Proposal
https://groups.io/g/nw-windtalk/topic/71549470

So there are many ways to bring both Communities together for common good. 

Do I need extra camera ? No.
I can remotely rotate my dual purpose camera to preprogramed PTZ from my cellphone so I can see the water between Waverly to 520 bridge or Juanita Bay and across to SSP, or look at Space Needle, at "my wish and command".

Join nw-windtalk@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.