Re: Kitesurfing and everything else

Greg Mejlaender

< There is no conflict with Windsurfers because no windsurfers ever launch from Junita Bay (best of my knowledge living here last 16 years). It is too shallow, wind shadow on Northerly and very choppy on Southerly. >

Another way to say this might be - I haven't seen windsurfers in Juanita Bay over the last 16 years, so I suppose it's not the greatest spot?

And locals with many years windsurfing around here would say - "no, it's not the greatest spot... but it's ok."

Personally - I know 4 people (2 couples) who've windsurfed in Juanita Bay once or twice, in the last 3 years.

And I sailed there MANY times in the late 80's & early 90's... along with dozens of other people!!!
Winter southerly's.

Of course... back then, there were thousands more windsurfers in the greater Seattle area... compared to now.
So... every place with water access, had windsurfers!
NW Sailboard magazine mentioned windsurfing in Juanita Bay.

Lastly, of course we can windsurf anywhere people are kiting. We both want the same thing. I like doing that & have never seen any conflict. Doesn't bother me a bit. I always smile & wave... and they always return the same :)

That being said, I certainly believe others here who've seen poor judgment, or poor behavior. And there are plenty of stories about that. But I like to think - that's the exception, not the rule :)