From: Greg Mejlaender <gregnw44@...>
To: nw-windtalk@groups.io <nw-windtalk@groups.io>
Sent: Sat, Oct 9, 2021 10:45 pm
Subject: Re: [nw-windtalk] Seattle Swap Meet, Clinic & N Lake Criss-Cross!

It was a great & successful Saturday at the Magnuson Swim Beach Launch.

A Swap Meet, or Clinic, or Race... needs some space for the participants to focus (a little:) And we had that, in a perfect setting!
The forecast was also mostly accurate. Dry, cloudy weather for most the day, gave us lots of dry grass to check out gear, rig sails, & visit. It did start raining, mid - late afternoon, which was also forecast. But most folks were gone or packed up by then.

The wind forecast was also right-on, today. Very light, early morning - building S-ish wind through the morning - planeable by noon - windy, rest the day. That afternoon wind speed was the only part of the forecast that was a bit off. However it was off in a positive direction, so can't really complain :)
Darren asked if it was really gusty all afternoon. And I'd say "no". It built gradually & then stayed in the 20-25 range, I think. But lots of our group was off the water, for most of that!

I didn't make the early morning Swap Meet part (arriving at 11) but I heard there was a decent crowd - with good visiting happening... & some great buying & selling!

Darren was there & ready to offer some clinic tips he picked up in the summer, re: board & sail handling exercises.
"Thank you Darren!"
But the wind was building & blowing by 11... and people were rigging & anxious to get out there. So the clinic didn't really happen.
(For wind starved Seattle-ites, the best clinics happen when there's almost no wind :)

A lot of people were out sailing by noon, planing & flying in 10-16 mph wind. Alan & I had decided, a 12:30 start time looked good for the 'North Lake Criss-Cross' fun race event". We tried to convey that to as many as possible, but with people out sailing all over, we couldn't do a complete job.

I started the NLCC at 12:33 with Windsurfer LT & 9.8m Aerotech 4 cam race sail.
I probably had 'that 10-16 wind' most of the way from the start, downwind to Denny Park, & halfway back. But I could tell it was gradually building. (Note - it was already windier... upwind at the Boat Launch.)
Anyway half way back upwind to the finish, it built to 15-20 mph wind.
Then... there was a gust over 20 before I got back, which back-winded the 9.8 & slammed me down into the water. But then it dropped back just below 20, I waterstarted & got back to the finish line.
1 hr 5 min was my round trip time, measured from a spot near the buoy & swim raft.

At the finish, I wasn't actually cold or tired yet... & I wanted to test the W LT in the stronger wind. It was definitely in the 15-25 mph range I thought. So I did a few beam reaches BAF back and forth to Kirkland & I had lots of 18-22 mph cruising!
But in the 25mph gusts, I was still getting back-winded & body slammed into the lake.
Waterstarting & being over-powered with the 9.8 wore me out & I was happy to land back at the swim beach.
Alan was flying in my area with a 4.7 during this time. And Jonathan was flying with a 3.7 then too, but he was more upwind by the boat launch.

It was a very fun time, with lots of people throughout the day & gear moved from one garage to another... & a new race course tried-out!

Thanks for all the participation on such short notice!
Greg :)