Topics

WX.Menu item help text: where is it used?

Luke Davis

Hello

Perhaps a stupid question, but if I call something like:

gui.mainFrame.sysTrayIcon.preferencesMenu.Append(wx.ID_ANY, _("&menuItemName..."), _("Some descriptive text"))

where will "Some descriptive text" be used?

WX calls this "help", so I thought I would find it in a mouse hover or tooltip of some kind, but in attempting this with both the keyboard and the actual mouse, in NVDA 2017.3, I can not get anything spoken.

The docs for WX.Menu 4.1.0 say:

An optional help string associated with the item. By default, the handler for the wxEVT_MENU_HIGHLIGHT event
displays this string in the status line.

Which helps me not at all.

Thanks

--
Luke Davis

Why are you using such an old version of nvda, are you using XP?

Luke Davis

On Fri, 30 Aug 2019, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:

Why are you using such an old version of nvda, are you using XP?
I knew someone was going to ask me that.:) I was testing add-on compatibility with old versions of NVDA. So I had one of them running when I was looking into that method call. A translations team member asked me to fix a missing translator comment for the text in that call, and it got me wondering where the text was actually going to be used.

I am working on various add-ons that I would like to have available both in 2019.3, and back as far as 2017.3 for those poor souls (or the stubborn holdouts) still using XP or Vista.

Luke

--
Luke Davis

Well this ere machine is running XP and I have another machine also running it and two more as well. They are not used really on line or in most dangerous environments but do have to run legacy software, and are unupdatable so while they still work, why not?

Please address personal email to:-

Noelia Ruiz

Hi, answering in devel in case lead developers would like to clarify
something or use this discussion for NVDA's improvements.
I think that, in practical terms, the optional help string is never
used by NVDA, never spoken or braillified.
I don't know if this would make sense with the new vision framework,
for instance if this can be highlighted or show in some way.

Cheers

Hello

Perhaps a stupid question, but if I call something like:

gui.mainFrame.sysTrayIcon.preferencesMenu.Append(wx.ID_ANY,
_("&menuItemName..."), _("Some descriptive text"))

where will "Some descriptive text" be used?

WX calls this "help", so I thought I would find it in a mouse hover or
tooltip
of some kind, but in attempting this with both the keyboard and the actual
mouse, in NVDA 2017.3, I can not get anything spoken.

The docs for WX.Menu 4.1.0 say:

An optional help string associated with the item. By default, the handler
for
the wxEVT_MENU_HIGHLIGHT event
displays this string in the status line.

Which helps me not at all.

Thanks

--
Luke Davis

Robert Hänggi

I suppose that this text is never used because it is only applicable
for windows that have both, a menu bar and a status line.
That's obviously not the case for a systray icon that has just a bunch of menus.
The top window is actually hidden.
I can't say for sure but I think the status line availability is
defined through the window style attribute.
NVDA doesn't pay much heed to that fact.
Search for instance the status line in NVDA's settings panel (with NVDA+End).
What you get are the buttons and not some kind of informative
description of the item you're focused on (if it were defined in the
first place).
Naturally, it should say that there isn't any status line.
Robert

Author: Debug Helper NVDA add-on
(https://github.com/XLTechie/debugHelper)