Topics

Waterfox classic .9 version crashing with nvda?

Brian's Mail list account

I'm pretty sure somebody else mentioned this, and wondered if anyone had an up to date contact for whoever is making Waterfox since Feb this year.
The problem is that I'd put in an issue to the tracker on nvda, but I don't think its nvda as it has worked fine till this version of waterfox classic. You could just be cursoring about a page or hitting a link. you hear busy or part of a line and its gone. Nvda does not wake up even if you try to switch tasks, its frozen in stack according to the errors, and only an nvda restart then makes it work, but nvda never exits cleanly according to the log, and Waterfox remains crashed and windows says its not responding but at least all the rest of windows is then usable. You have to force an exit either by saying yet is to close waterfox warnings about losing data, or via task manager,in the latter Waterfox suggests is using .5 percent of the processor just doing nothing. I have saved some logs of nvda and have a number of waterfox dumps that seem to have been created by themselves, all show the accessibility flag set and nvDA as having a running process at the time.

Alternatively if nobody knows of a way to contact them, then a place to download .7 version of Waterfox should make it more reliable. I'm mentioning it here as I seem to recall at least two people here use this browser.

Rich Caloggero

For security reasons, I would not use this browser. If you don't like the newer firefox quantum, use Firefox ESR (extended support release).

When quantum first came out, it did not work well with screen readers. Now, however, they have done a lot of accessibility work and it works very well with NVDA and Jaws.

I doubt that waterfox has an accessibility team, and I wonder how well it works on win10 with respect to accessibility.

This is from an artcile a few years old, but they come to the same conslusion:

https://www.howtogeek.com/335712/update-why-you-shouldnt-use-waterfox-pale-moon-or-basilisk/
Waterfox Is Firefox ESR, But With Slower Security Updates
Waterfox is based on Mozilla Firefox, and it’s probably the most popular alternative browser based on the Firefox code. It made a name for itself by being a 64-bit browser based on the Mozilla Firefox code when Mozilla only offered 32-bit versions. However, Mozilla Firefox is now a 64-bit browser on 64-bit versions of Windows, so that’s not a reason to use Waterfox anymore.
Today, Waterfox is based on Firefox ESR. It advertises support for traditional XUL Firefox extensions and NPAPI plug-ins like Java and Silverlight. These are both features of Firefox ESR, so you don’t need to switch to Waterfox to get them. After Firefox ESR reaches end of Life, “a “new” browser will be developed to follow the ethos of Waterfox of customisation and choice”, according to the Waterfox blog.
Waterfox also has some other different features. It disables Pocket by default, but you can disable Pocket yourself in Firefox. It won’t send telemetry data to Mozilla, but you can disable that from Options > Privacy & Security > Firefox Data Collection and Use in Firefox. Encrypted Media Extensions (EME), which are required for sites like Netflix, are also disabled by default—and, again, you can disable them yourself in Firefox, if you like.
Overall, using Waterfox is basically just like using Firefox ESR and changing a few settings…with one big difference: security updates arrive in Firefox ESR much faster than they do in Waterfox.

Hope this is helpful.
-- Rich

-- Rich

On 10/11/2020 4:24 AM, Brian's Mail list account via groups.io wrote:
[...]

Well, I find it fine except that most of the time its a little faster but on the odd page full of javascript it is slower than Firefox Firefox has issues with a search engine I use but waterfox does not.edge in windows 7 is Ok but not as standard in its shortcuts as the mozilla browsers are. I find them more intuitive.

Please address personal email to:-

[...]

Oh an now I've gone back to .07 of waterfox instead of .10 its better and no crashes. Yes they do have an accessibility team but they are a little perplexed by the behaviour in nvda.
They also do a version based on the current firfox as well, but I did not like it much. The good thing about this one is it runs all the old firefox add ons and we are not forced to listen to the squeaking hinge page load sound when you enable the sound.
It clicks.