Topics

Threshold release plan

Reef Turner

I’d like to explain our current plan regarding upcoming releases of NVDA, and how the threshold branch (migration to Python 3, speech refactor) fits in.

Outline:

  • 2019.2 release
    • A beta 3 is expected next week.
    • All changes on master have been pushed into this release.
  • 2019.3 release
    • Including changes from threshold.

We have decided to further delay the 2019.2 release, to include the remaining changes from master. We will not be merging new PR’s (except critical bug fixes) to master until threshold is merged to master. This serves two purposes:

  1. Get greater coverage of changes in the 2019.2 release by alpha users.
  2. Minimise the differences master has with the threshold branch.
    • The changes on master will have to be carefully reviewed looking for issues that may occur in a Python 3 environment / post speech refactor.

Once threshold has been merged back to master, PR’s can start to be merged again. PR authors will need to update their branches to ensure their proposed change is compatible with Python 3 / speech refactor.

Previously our intention was to make a threshold release with minimal changes (speech refactor and Python 3 migration) on top of the prior release. While this would make it easier to know the cause of any new bugs discovered, it will require a lot more work to manage incoming PR's and merges between these branches. Instead, we are aiming to get threshold into master as soon as possible, likely 1 or 2 weeks from now.

If you wish to help with this process, consider doing the following:

  • Testing of alpha
    • Currently alpha matches the upcoming 2019.2 release
    • Please report any issues.
  • Testing official Beta builds (Beta 2 is currently the latest)
  • Later an announcement will be made about testing the threshold branch.
    • This will be around the time it is merged to master.

Thank you for you patience during this transition.

--

Reef Turner
Software Developer

www.nvaccess.org

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NVAccess
Twitter: @NVAccess

Brian's Mail list account

So basically then the next true beta. beta 3 will hopefully be mostly based on current Alpha then.

If that is the case then I can probably make my working copy the latest beta when it appears.
The other threshold version I understand is in fact now actually using Python 3 and I have that set up as a portable version and working, albeit with the problems with synths and error sounds on settings dialogues.

I’d like to explain our current plan regarding upcoming releases of NVDA, and how the threshold branch (migration to Python 3, speech refactor) fits in.

Outline:
• 2019.2 release
o A beta 3 is expected next week.
o All changes on master have been pushed into this release.
• 2019.3 release
o Including changes from threshold.

We have decided to further delay the 2019.2 release, to include the remaining changes from master. We will not be merging new PR’s (except critical bug fixes) to master until threshold is merged to master. This serves two purposes:
1. Get greater coverage of changes in the 2019.2 release by alpha users.
2. Minimise the differences master has with the threshold branch.
o The changes on master will have to be carefully reviewed looking for issues that may occur in a Python 3 environment / post speech refactor.
Once threshold has been merged back to master, PR’s can start to be merged again. PR authors will need to update their branches to ensure their proposed change is compatible with Python 3 / speech refactor.

Previously our intention was to make a threshold release with minimal changes (speech refactor and Python 3 migration) on top of the prior release. While this would make it easier to know the cause of any new bugs discovered, it will require a lot more work to manage incoming PR's and merges between these branches. Instead, we are aiming to get threshold into master as soon as possible, likely 1 or 2 weeks from now.

If you wish to help with this process, consider doing the following:
• Testing of alpha
o Currently alpha matches the upcoming 2019.2 release
o Please report any issues.
• Testing official Beta builds (Beta 2 is currently the latest)
• Later an announcement will be made about testing the threshold branch.
o This will be around the time it is merged to master.

Thank you for you patience during this transition.
--
Reef Turner
Software Developer

www.nvaccess.org
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NVAccess
Twitter:@NVAccess

Hi all,

A copy of this notice will be forwarded to add-ons community. In short, you are welcome to test Python 3 work privately, but please hold off on broader porting until Project Threshold (including Python 3 work) is merged into master branch.

[...]

Before I forget, to expand on Reef’s notice: I would like to point out that current Threshold branch is Python 2 code – eventually Python 3 code will be merged into Threshold, and that (Threshold and Py3) will be merged into master. That’s what folks mean by broader porting.

[...]

When I say other threshold I mean the staging one of course.
Sorry.

[...]

I was quite surprised how few problems the staging snap now has, since it was made to load all the dlls it lacked. As I say, at the moment there does seem to be mega confusion with the synth voice settings in each synth, but I think that is down to some kind of persisting variable that is not being changed where it should be

<https://www.nvaccess.org/> www.nvaccess.org

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NVAccess
Twitter:@NVAccess

Brian's Mail list account

So staging will in effect go away after the next python 2 release.

Threshold will be python 3. Gradually migrating closer to a full release but one assumes there will be at least one more Python 2 release first to give time for add on authors to debug their code while its in Threshold?

[...]

Rui Fontes

By the way, in Windows 7 it seems that all vowels are announced as "h a accut", h e accut" and so on...

This occurs using E-Speak and SAPI5 in portuguese...

In Windows 10 it do not occurs...

Rui Fontes

----- Original Message ----- From: "Joseph Lee" <@joslee>
[...]

David Moore

Hi all!

I am using the latest Alpha version of NVDA, I believe, 17928 or there about.

It works great, and I am using it with all browsers with no trouble, and many Windows 10 apps.

Will the Alpha Snap Shots get Python three first?

That is my question LOL!

Thank you for all your doing, the entire NVDA community.

David Moore

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

By the way, in Windows 7 it seems that all vowels are announced as "h a

accut", h e accut" and so on...

This occurs using E-Speak and SAPI5 in portuguese...

In Windows 10 it do not occurs...

Rui Fontes

Às 20:28 de 04/07/2019, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io escreveu:

> I was quite surprised how few problems the staging snap now has, since

> it was made to load all the dlls it lacked. As I say, at the moment

> there does seem to be mega confusion with the synth voice settings in

> each synth, but I think that is down to some kind of persisting variable

> that is not being changed where it should be

> Brian

> bglists@...

> Sent via blueyonder.

> Please address personal E-mail to:-

> briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'

> in the display name field.

> Newsgroup monitored: alt.comp.blind-users

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Joseph Lee" <joseph.lee22590@...>

Noelia Ruiz

Hi, thanks for this explanation.

I would like to point out that, in beta, buildVersion.version_major=3, not 2.

This is affecting to development (not stable) versions of add-ons declared compatible with 2019.2. I know that add-ons api version has not changed, so add-ons can be installed without updating the last tested NVDA's version, but if someone uses the add-on updater add-on this can affect, and also for user experience, since I think people may not know about add-on api version, and it's not a good experience to see that an add-on is compatible with NVDA 2019.1, for example, when NVDA 2019.2 has been released. BTW, should we file an issue, when the migration is done and new pull request are accepted, to show in the gui just that add-ons are tested agains the current NVDA's version, without worrying about the number when the api version is the same?
For reference, you can see this message sent to the add-ons mailing list:

Place markers add-on is not compatible with this version of NVDA. Minimum NVDA version: 2018.3, last tested: 2019.2. I am running latest 19.2 beta. NonVisual Desktop Access (NVDA) Version: beta-17939,fd65a653 D C
Topic is at
https://nvda-addons.groups.io/g/nvda-addons/message/8602

Thanks for your attention

El 04/07/2019 a las 12:51, Reef Turner escribió:
I’d like to explain our current plan regarding upcoming releases of NVDA, and how the threshold branch (migration to Python 3, speech refactor) fits in.
Outline:
* 2019.2 release
o A beta 3 is expected next week.
o All changes on master have been pushed into this release.
* 2019.3 release
o Including changes from threshold. We have decided to further delay the 2019.2 release, to include the remaining changes from master. We will not be merging new PR’s (except critical bug fixes) to master until threshold is merged to master. This serves two purposes:
[...]
www.nvaccess.org <https://www.nvaccess.org/>
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/NVAccess <https://www.facebook.com/NVAccess>
Twitter:@NVAccesshttps://docs.google.com/uc?export=download&id=1ewvP2k8vO2yVx8f7qN46MLkUNt6pt8f_&revid=0B9qtAUOcqzA6dW5BQW55ZEp5UUptWjVYaXF5bnV4VC9qSGVRPQ

derek riemer

Also the same on alpha.

On Sat, Jul 6, 2019 at 8:24 PM Noelia Ruiz <nrm1977@...> wrote:
> [...]

> Previously our intention was to make a threshold release with minimal
> changes (speech refactor and Python 3 migration) on top of the prior
> release. While this would make it easier to know the cause of any new
> bugs discovered, it will require a lot more work to manage incoming PR's
> and merges between these branches. Instead, we are aiming to get
> threshold into master as soon as possible, likely 1 or 2 weeks from now.
>
> If you wish to help with this process, consider doing the following:
>
>   * Testing of alpha
>       o Currently alpha matches the upcoming 2019.2 release
>       o Please report any issues.
>   * Testing official Beta builds (Beta 2 is currently the latest)
>   * Later an announcement will be made about testing the threshold branch.
>       o This will be around the time it is merged to master.
>
> Thank you for you patience during this transition.

•    Accessibility enthusiast.
•    Open source enthusiast.
•    Skier.

Noelia Ruiz

Thanks Derek. I focused on beta since they may prefer to do a PR against beta, and keep alpha versions in 2019.-3, since soon the threshold branch will be in master and this is for 2019.-3, I think. Hope this can be fixed.

Enviado desde mi iPhone