Topics

support for full screen applications in the terminal

Tage Johansson

Hi,

I'm using the terminal alot and I've been using wsl (Windows Subsystem for Linux) quite heavily during the last year. I'm using NVDA with the linux terminal (started from cmd) and it works quite well. But it doesn't work that very well if I'm going to use a full screen application like vim.

Vim is a powerful text editor running in the terminal. It displays the cursor position att the bottom of the screen. Since NVDA reads all changes in the current terminal window, the speech is interrupted when ever the cursor position changes. So when I type a character, NVDA does only speak the new cursor position which is quite annoying.

Earlier, I've been using brltty on a pure linux machine. Brltty does only speak changes on the current line. That is mutch better when working with full screen applications like vim.

Is it possible to let NVDA only speak changes on the current line? Or can I make an addon which enables that behaviour?

Best regards,

Tage

Tony Malykh

I think that would be a great idea.

I've been mostly using emacs, and the experience is better than with vim, although every now and then it does read some updates in the status line, like line number changing, that is annoying.

I think that only constraining terminal updates to current line might break some functionality - since in emacs there are useful status updates appearing every now and then in the very last line of the terminal. I think the best way would be to implement a feature to mark certain areas of the terminal window as volatile and never speak updates from them. Or maybe even automatically detect those areas, such as status bars in vim and emacs, since I believe they are different in color...

--Tony

On 11/5/2019 4:12 AM, Tage Johansson wrote:
[...]

derek riemer

You can set noru in vim to turn that annoying line marker off.

--
Derek Riemer
•    Accessibility enthusiast.

Tage Johansson

Thanks for the suggestion.

The problem now is however that NVDA speaks "space" whenever I insert a character. I'm not sure why but I'm quite sure that it is not desired behaviour. Any suggestions or should I open an issue?

Best Regards,

Tage

--
Derek Riemer