Topics

Statement from Joseph Lee regarding NVDA add-ons and Windows XP support requests: no more, period

Hello NVDA users and add-on developers,

First, I would like to reiterate how important it is that everyone listen to advice from reputable sources regarding COVID-19, including public health officials recommending folks to exercise social distancing for a while. Even if you do not feel sick, please help others by washing hands, practice social distancing, and monitor the situation regarding the pandemic and community spread. And since the NVDA community is a global movement, please support each other.

Onto the matter at hand: for several days I have received requests about NVDA add-ons and Windows XP support. Requests have included making add-ons compatible with Windows XP again, compatibility issues, and backporting newer NVDA bug fixes and features to users of NVDA 2017.3, the last version compatible with Windows XP.

At the moment there is no community guidance on support for Windows XP, with many people  asking others to upgrade to newer Windows releases. But as an individual add-on author and a contributor to NVDA screen reader project, I would like to take this time to make the following personal announcement:

Effective April 15, 2020, if you ask me to do one or more of the following for Windows XP users, the answer you will get is, “sorry, no more, period.” These include:

• Making add-ons compatible with Windows XP, Server 2003, Vista, and Server 2008
  • Fixing compatibility issues and non-working add-ons after you knowingly install newer add-on releases on NVDA 2017.3 or earlier
  • Backporting features and bug fixes from newer NVDA releases to NVDA 2017.3
  • Maintaining a long-term support version of NVDA for Windows XP/Server 2003/Vista/Server 2008 users

Most importantly, I will flatly say “no” if you ask me privately to ask NV Access and/or add-on developers about Windows XP support. Many features introduced in newer NVDA releases cannot be backported for various reasons, including risk of crashing NVDA (grammar error announcement, for example), incompatibility with Python 2 (broader Unicode support, for example), features that will not work properly with XP (screen curtain, for example), support for apps no longer recommended for wider use (outlook Express, for example), and broad changes that alters how add-ons work (speech refactor and multi-category settings dialog, for example). Several add-on authors have indicated reluctance to support XP, and in case of add-ons I’m either maintaining or have passed onto the community, none of them support NVDA 2019.2.1 or earlier, let alone Windows XP and friends.

My personal statement above will not be in effect until April so that you can help others going through COVID-19 and for my statement as an individual developer to sink in. Note that I’m not speaking on behalf of other developers – others have their own policies regarding support for Windows XP. NV Access does provide a download link for NVDA 2017.3, the last version compatible with Windows XP.

I know my statement is a huge blow to many of you. As much as I wanted folks to understand that end of support means end of support, and I understand that many of you cannot afford newer equipment and software releases (including moving to newer Windows releases), I felt it is time to make a bold statement and say “no” to Windows XP support. In the past, I did note on various NVDA forums that my add-ons will not and does not support Windows XP, but didn’t announce a statement like this then, hoping that folks will understand the reality at last. But alas, it is time to officially close the doors to Windows XP support from my end – once again, this is an individual developer saying this, not on behalf of the community at large, knowing that others will make statements on their own.

Thank you for understanding.

Cheers,

Joseph

Brian's Mail list account

I'd like to add two things to this.
1. Outlook Express is still used by me, and can be modified to work on both windows 7 and 10, but I'd not expect anyone to add features to any screenreader to make it work better or differently as most of us who use it understand it could stop at any day, particularly in 10.
2 Windows XP most browsers work so slowly, if they work at all on many web sites, as to make them unusable.
Many third party software releases no longer work either including many anti virus solutions such as the Microsoft one, which only seems able to update one of its parts, and hence leaves gaps in protection. Many machines running the older AMD chipset cannot even run security essentials, or malwarebytes modern code and ccleaner either.
It is, sadly, time to relegate xp to simply a file server here, and then only on line for brief periods in case of drive by infection.

I also want to point out that Microsoft, though not officially supporting windows 7, did recently send me an update and continue to do so on security essentials and make their new Edge Browser work on 7, so we have a way to go yet here, but I expect the time will come to ditch that as well. If only Microsoft did not effectively do a reinstall every few months on windows 10, it would suit me fine, but as it is with so many legacy bits of software its a major pain to get everything back after an update.
OK I'm going back to sleep now!
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
Newsgroup monitored: alt.comp.blind-users

----- Original Message -----
To: <nvda-addons@nvda-addons.groups.io>
Sent: Sunday, March 22, 2020 10:01 PM
Subject: [nvda-devel] Statement from Joseph Lee regarding NVDA add-ons and Windows XP support requests: no more, period

Hello NVDA users and add-on developers,

First, I would like to reiterate how important it is that everyone listen to
advice from reputable sources regarding COVID-19, including public health
officials recommending folks to exercise social distancing for a while. Even
if you do not feel sick, please help others by washing hands, practice
social distancing, and monitor the situation regarding the pandemic and
community spread. And since the NVDA community is a global movement, please
support each other.

Onto the matter at hand: for several days I have received requests about
NVDA add-ons and Windows XP support. Requests have included making add-ons
compatible with Windows XP again, compatibility issues, and backporting
newer NVDA bug fixes and features to users of NVDA 2017.3, the last version
compatible with Windows XP.

At the moment there is no community guidance on support for Windows XP, with
many people asking others to upgrade to newer Windows releases. But as an
individual add-on author and a contributor to NVDA screen reader project, I
would like to take this time to make the following personal announcement:

Effective April 15, 2020, if you ask me to do one or more of the following
for Windows XP users, the answer you will get is, "sorry, no more, period."
These include:

* Making add-ons compatible with Windows XP, Server 2003, Vista, and
Server 2008
* Fixing compatibility issues and non-working add-ons after you
knowingly install newer add-on releases on NVDA 2017.3 or earlier
* Backporting features and bug fixes from newer NVDA releases to NVDA
* Maintaining a long-term support version of NVDA for Windows
XP/Server 2003/Vista/Server 2008 users

Most importantly, I will flatly say "no" if you ask me privately to ask NV
Access and/or add-on developers about Windows XP support. Many features
introduced in newer NVDA releases cannot be backported for various reasons,
including risk of crashing NVDA (grammar error announcement, for example),
incompatibility with Python 2 (broader Unicode support, for example),
features that will not work properly with XP (screen curtain, for example),
support for apps no longer recommended for wider use (outlook Express, for
example), and broad changes that alters how add-ons work (speech refactor
and multi-category settings dialog, for example). Several add-on authors
have indicated reluctance to support XP, and in case of add-ons I'm either
maintaining or have passed onto the community, none of them support NVDA
2019.2.1 or earlier, let alone Windows XP and friends.

My personal statement above will not be in effect until April so that you
can help others going through COVID-19 and for my statement as an individual
developer to sink in. Note that I'm not speaking on behalf of other
developers - others have their own policies regarding support for Windows
XP. NV Access does provide a download link for NVDA 2017.3, the last version
compatible with Windows XP.

I know my statement is a huge blow to many of you. As much as I wanted folks
to understand that end of support means end of support, and I understand
that many of you cannot afford newer equipment and software releases
(including moving to newer Windows releases), I felt it is time to make a
bold statement and say "no" to Windows XP support. In the past, I did note
on various NVDA forums that my add-ons will not and does not support Windows
XP, but didn't announce a statement like this then, hoping that folks will
understand the reality at last. But alas, it is time to officially close the
doors to Windows XP support from my end - once again, this is an individual
developer saying this, not on behalf of the community at large, knowing that
others will make statements on their own.

Thank you for understanding.

Cheers,

Joseph