Topics

Sending keystrokes

Karl-Otto Rosenqvist

Hi!
I wonder if anyone could point me in the right driection. I’d like to create a global plugin that converts some keystrokes to others. How can I send new key events from the Python code? It’s easy to bind the gestures to functions but how the heck do I generate a key press?

The goal is to use it on a MacBook Pro with Touch Bar running Windows. The MacBooks with Touch Bar lacs the physical function keys and your only option is to use the touch screen where the function keys are drawn.

I want to test using Ctrl + Win + 1 for F1, Ctrl + Win + 2 for F2 and so on.

The MacBook Pros have a very bright screen which I benefit from and I’d like to test this and see if it’s a good enough solution or not before I buy one, they are quite expensive...

Kind regards

Karl-Otto
MAWINGU
0701-75 98 56
https://mawingu.se
Orgnr: 750804-3937

Bill Dengler

I’ve actually thought about an alternative solution for this: how about writing a global plug-in that intersects the function keys, and on first press announces them, then on second press sends them through? this would make the Touch Bar at least partially accessible, as well as machines with capacitive media keys…

Bill

On Jun 19, 2020, at 18:07, Karl-Otto Rosenqvist <Karl-otto@...> wrote:

[...]

Absolutely, that could be one solution. My thought here would be if one could catch the key down event, announce the function key and if the key up event comes from the same function key alone, i e no key down event for the adjecent function key immediately after you could count it as a press of that function key. One could experiment with the timing.

The problem here is that I don’t have the necessary hardware and I’d like to test some kind of working solution before spending all that money.

Regards

Karl-Otto
MAWINGU
0701-75 98 56