Topics

Refreshable Braille Display Help

just1brill@...

Hello,
We are a group of students entering our country's top science exhibition, doing our project on refreshable braile displays, as we were interested in the idea of making the computer more accessible to all. We came across NVDA and found out it was perfect for what we stood for and needed.

But, we are having trouble making our board compatible with NVDA and was wondering if anybody could guide us on how it could be done or if it can be done at all. I understand this may be quite a complex topic, especially over messaging, but even help on where to turn to for advice would be great. We understand that other displays have been made compatible also.

The board is recognised by Windows (as of Win10 Ver 1903 Build 18362.476).

I understand that a project like this would not be in developers interest, as it won't be comercially available, but any help at all would be greatly appreciated and would be extremely beneficial.

Thanks

derek riemer

How do you communicate with windows? We use pySerial for our communications. I have not written a braille display driver, but i can tell you where to find the source code for various drivers.

--
Derek Riemer
•    Accessibility enthusiast.

just1brill@...

We're using a Raspberry Pi, but we could configure it to use PySerial to communicate to Windows. On the normal NVDA forum, we were suggested to make a driver, so we've began on that. I'd appreciate any links to source codes of drivers.

Thanks.

derek riemer

Have you downloaded the NVDA source yet? github.com/nvaccess/nvda
In there, under source/brailleDisplayDrivers are some examples. They inherit from the braille.BrailleDisplayDriver class. Reading the nvda design document on the wiki we point to and the developer guide are great first resources. I also wrote this article which might help you at some point. (it's a little out of date now).

On Mon, Nov 25, 2019 at 3:00 PM <just1brill@...> wrote:
We're using a Raspberry Pi, but we could configure it to use PySerial to communicate to Windows. On the normal NVDA forum, we were suggested to make a driver, so we've began on that. I'd appreciate any links to source codes of drivers.

Derek Riemer
•    Accessibility enthusiast.
•    Open source enthusiast.
•    Skier.

Travis Siegel

Is this the same process for a speech synthesizer? I have built one, using commercial parts, and would like to make it work with NVDA as well.

I need to rewire it before I can test it, (things came loose while it was on the shelf, since it was originally built as a speech device for my wife, who has a speech defect, but it can just as easily be used as an external synthesizer with minimal reprogramming.

On 11/25/2019 8:25 PM, derek riemer wrote:
Have you downloaded the NVDA source yet? github.com/nvaccess/nvda
In there, under source/brailleDisplayDrivers are some examples. They inherit from the braille.BrailleDisplayDriver class. Reading the nvda design document on the wiki we point to and the developer guide are great first resources. I also wrote this article which might help you at some point. (it's a little out of date now).

On Mon, Nov 25, 2019 at 3:00 PM <just1brill@...> wrote:
We're using a Raspberry Pi, but we could configure it to use PySerial to communicate to Windows. On the normal NVDA forum, we were suggested to make a driver, so we've began on that. I'd appreciate any links to source codes of drivers.

Derek Riemer
•    Accessibility enthusiast.
•    Open source enthusiast.
•    Skier.

derek riemer

Sort of. There are also examples of speech synth drivers lying around. Especially externally. Most are software, but there's a dectalk hardware one somewhere.

On Mon, Nov 25, 2019 at 6:32 PM Travis Siegel <tsiegel@...> wrote:

[...]

I don't think the dectalk works in the new alpha version from what I recall, but it might be relatively simple to market so, sadly I do not have the hardware device any more so I cannot help much.

https://derekriemer.com/posts/2017/02/14/introduction-to-nvda-development-the-basic-objects-explained/

On Mon, Nov 25, 2019 at 3:00 PM <just1brill@...> wrote:

We're using a Raspberry Pi, but we could configure it to use PySerial to
communicate to Windows. On the normal NVDA forum, we were suggested to make
a driver, so we've began on that. I'd appreciate any links to source codes
of drivers.

Derek Riemer
Improving the world one byte at a time! ⠠⠊⠍⠏⠗⠕⠧⠬ ⠮ ⠸⠺ ⠐⠕ ⠃⠽⠞⠑ ⠁⠞ ⠁
⠐⠞⠖
• Accessibility enthusiast.
• Proud user of the NVDA screen reader.
• Open source enthusiast.