Topics

Problem opening on context menu in webbrowser in recent alphas?

Sean

Hi NVDA's developers & others,

I wanted to know the situation here before creating an issue on GitHub.
Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

I am actively using Google Chrome.
I tested the last alpha from the source and the site.

1. I open Google Chrome and go to Google.
2. I type "NVDA" in the Search box on the Google web page.
3. I want to open the first result in a new tab. So after focusing on the header, I press the "application" button.
3.1. In 2020.2 and older versions I was seeing the following options: "Open link in new tab", "Open link in new window"...
3.2. In Alpha versions, the following options appear: "Emoji Win+Period", "Select all Ctrl+A"...

This problem does not always occur. But I saw more alphas.
In these tests I didn't change anything like Google Chrome and windows / screen resolution / brightness.

When I encountered this problem in 2020.2 and before, I was able to solve the mouse focused with NVDA+numpadDivide. In Alphas, the mouse does not focus on the correct item.

Anyone have this problem?

--
Sean

👨‍🦯 I’m programmer. I coding often Python, sometimes Go and rarely C++.

Lukasz Golonka

Hello,

WHile I haven't tried reproducing your specific issue could you please
enable focusing focusable elements with NVDA+8
and report back if the issue persists?

--
Regards
Lukasz

- <mailto:seantolstoyevski@...>Email: seantolstoyevski@...
- <https://github.com/SeanTolstoyevski/>GitHub: SeanTolstoyevski

👨‍🦯 I’m programmer. I coding often Python, sometimes Go and rarely C++.

Sean

I can't always say this works right.
But when NVDA+8 is on, I can usually access the true menu.

I'm seeing the wrong menu more when it's off.

On 05/09/2020 19:59, Lukasz Golonka wrote:
Hello,

WHile I haven't tried reproducing your specific issue could you please
enable focusing focusable elements with NVDA+8
 and report back if the issue persists?

--
Sean

👨‍🦯 I’m programmer. I coding often Python, sometimes Go and rarely C++.

Karl-Otto Rosenqvist

Hi!
This is a tip/workaround and not really an answer to your question.

You can open links in new tabs by holding down Ctrl when pressing Return.

Kind regards

Karl-Otto
Karl-Otto Rosenqvist
MAWINGU
Orgnr: 750804-3937
+46 (0)701 75 98 56
karl-otto@...

Den 2020-09-05 kl. 19:09, skrev Sean:

I can't always say this works right.
But when NVDA+8 is on, I can usually access the true menu.
I'm seeing the wrong menu more when it's off.
On 05/09/2020 19:59, Lukasz Golonka wrote:
Hello,

WHile I haven't tried reproducing your specific issue could you please
enable focusing focusable elements with NVDA+8
and report back if the issue persists?
--
Sean
* Email: seantolstoyevski@...
<mailto:seantolstoyevski@...>
* GitHub: SeanTolstoyevski <https://github.com/SeanTolstoyevski/>
👨‍🦯 I’m programmer. I coding often Python, sometimes Go and rarely C++.

Travis Siegel

In general, I find reloading NVDA solves problems like this one.  I have this problem regularly, especially after NVDA has been running for a while (whether that's several days or several hours seems to vary depending on how much I'm doing with the computer).  I honestly think it's a dll issue, since they get swapped out to disk if memory resources are low, and I think something is getting swapped, then NVDA gets confused when it gets reloaded, but that's just a guess.

In generally, 99 percent of the time, reloading NVDA solves this problem for me, and this has been going on for years, for me atleast, this is not a new problem.

On 9/5/2020 12:23 PM, Sean wrote:

[...]

Great, good to learn that.
But there is still no solution for other menu options.

On 05/09/2020 21:32, Karl-Otto Rosenqvist wrote:
[...]

Brian's Mail list account

No and its not just in web browsers either. I can see it with the windows shut down menu when it gets really bad, no context menu speaks, although I am assured they do open. It does it as far back as 2017 versions of nvda on xp.
Most times a restart of nvda cures it completely. The odd time it does not you find windows running slower and slower and that I'm guessing is a symptom of some misbehaving software running win windows and not nvda related. a button shutdown and a restart fixes it.
I had expected with the main context menu issue that when I used ssd drives, it might go away, but its rarer, but not altogether fixed.
Being such an erratic issue its going to be a pig to find as the log often looks ok.

On 9/5/2020 12:23 PM, Sean wrote:

[...]

You can also use Ctrl + Shift + Return to open the link in a new browser window.

Cheers

Karl-Otto
MAWINGU
0701-75 98 56