Topics

PCkeyboard input

Afik Souffir

Hello,

My name is Afik Souffir from Israel.

I have cp in my left hand, which means I'm doing everything in my right hand.

I want to type braille on the braille display/computer keyboard.

I didn’t understand how to use the pc keyboard input.

Thanks to any help

Noelia Ruiz

Hello. I understand you are mentioning the add-on posted on the
community website. This was created by Jamie, by NV Access, without
the possibility of typing using one hand. I added it and currently I
am maintaining the add-on with Jamie's agreement. So, please, if the
feature is not comfortable for you, let me know and your suggestions
will be appreciated.
1. Go to NVDA's Menu (NVDA+n), Preferences submenu, Settings, PC
Keyboard Braille Input category, and enable the option to type using
one hand mode.
2. In a text editor, press NVDA+0. If you have sticky keys enabled,
you can press NVDA, then 0.
3. Compose characters pressing dots simultaneously or in consecutive
strokes, for example, you may type the character g by pressing: j k
simultaneously, then ui simultaneously, or u, then i.
When you have composed the character, press h to confirm, and if you
realise that your dots are wrong, you can cancel the character being
composed by pressing y.
Please read the documentation going to Add-ons manager, selecting the
add-ons help button.
If you have issues due to your keyboard, for example if you use
hebreu, let me know to add support for this. Currently the add-ons
supports the following keyboard layouts:
• English QWERTY keyboard.
• French (France).
• German (Germany).
• Italian (Italy).
• Persian.
• Portuguese (Portugal).
• Spanish (Spain and Mexico).
• Turkish.
If you test a non supported keyboard, you will be listed as a
contributor, as done with:
• James Teh
• Noelia.
• Mohammadreza Rashad
• Cagri Dogan
• Bernd Dorer
• Ângelo Abrantes
• Cyrille Bougot
• Abdel.

Cheers

My name is Afik Souffir from Israel.

I have cp in my left hand, which means I'm doing everything in my right
hand.

I want to type braille on the braille display/computer keyboard.

I didn't understand how to use the pc keyboard input.

Thanks to any help

Afik Souffir

Hi,
Yes im using hebrew keyboard.
Can you add it?

Hello. I understand you are mentioning the add-on posted on the
community website. This was created by Jamie, by NV Access, without
the possibility of typing using one hand. I added it and currently I
am maintaining the add-on with Jamie's agreement. So, please, if the
feature is not comfortable for you, let me know and your suggestions
will be appreciated.
1. Go to NVDA's Menu (NVDA+n), Preferences submenu, Settings, PC
Keyboard Braille Input category, and enable the option to type using
one hand mode.
2. In a text editor, press NVDA+0. If you have sticky keys enabled,
you can press NVDA, then 0.
3. Compose characters pressing dots simultaneously or in consecutive
strokes, for example, you may type the character g by pressing: j k
simultaneously, then ui simultaneously, or u, then i.
When you have composed the character, press h to confirm, and if you
realise that your dots are wrong, you can cancel the character being
composed by pressing y.
Please read the documentation going to Add-ons manager, selecting the
add-ons help button.
If you have issues due to your keyboard, for example if you use
hebreu, let me know to add support for this. Currently the add-ons
supports the following keyboard layouts:
• English QWERTY keyboard.
• French (France).
• German (Germany).
• Italian (Italy).
• Persian.
• Portuguese (Portugal).
• Spanish (Spain and Mexico).
• Turkish.
If you test a non supported keyboard, you will be listed as a
contributor, as done with:
• James Teh
• Noelia.
• Mohammadreza Rashad
• Cagri Dogan
• Bernd Dorer
• Ângelo Abrantes
• Cyrille Bougot
• Abdel.

Cheers

> Hello,
>

> My name is Afik Souffir from Israel.
>
> I have cp in my left hand, which means I'm doing everything in my right
> hand.
>

> I want to type braille on the braille display/computer keyboard.
>
> I didn't understand how to use the pc keyboard input.
>

> Thanks to any help

Noelia Ruiz

Not every keyboard needs to be added to work properly. If you have
issues, I will add it.
Kind regards

________________________________
[...]

Yes,
Its simply not working...

De : nvda-devel@groups.io de la part de Noelia Ruiz
<nrm1977@...> Envoyé : samedi, janvier 4, 2020 4:56 PM À :
nvda-devel@groups.io Objet : Re: [nvda-devel] PCkeyboard input

[...]

OK, I'm not active on the user's mailing list. If you aren't in the
add-ons mailing list, I will reply you privately if I have questions,
since this list is mostly for NVDA's development questions.
Thanks for reporting this

Yes,
Its simply not working...

De : nvda-devel@groups.io de la part de Noelia Ruiz
[...]

DaVid

Hi.
Some years ago, when I was in high school, I wrote a script to
configure the keyboard to write with one hand easily. I did this
because I was too lazy to use my two hands all the day. hehe. I called
it mirror keyboard.
The idea is: The user can write with the left or right hand. To write
the letters in the other side, you need to press the mirror key twice.
E.G. If you are writing with the right hand and you want to write the
"w", you just need to press twice the letter "o". Press twice the "p"
to write "q".
I don't know if an application to configure the keyboard in this way
exists. I don't know if this method is useful for you.
but this came to my mind when I read your message.

I wrote that script for JAWS, which was the screen reader I used to
use those days, and I lost the code because I don't use that screen
reader anymore.
But I could implement it in NVDA if you think that can be useful and
can't find an application to do it.

Another idea that I thought about but didn't implement was to use the
thumb to press a switch key rater than press twice the mirror key.

Regards,
DaVid.

My name is Afik Souffir from Israel.

I have cp in my left hand, which means I'm doing everything in my right
hand.

I want to type braille on the braille display/computer keyboard.

I didn't understand how to use the pc keyboard input.

Thanks to any help

Afik Souffir

Actually, I want to type on the braille display with one hand
For example, to type the letter g, you need to press 1234.
So, I want to press 12, release thn 12 and then continue to type 34. When I'm done, I'll press space.

Can you implement it in NVDA?

[...]

Cyrille

Hello Afik and all

The PC Keyboard Braille Input add-on for NVDA is an add-on that allows to type Braille with one or two hands on a PC keyboard (QWERTY or other layout).
Your wish is different since you want to type on the braille display keyboard, not the PC keyboard. Here was the confusion. That's why you do not get anything interesting with this add-on.

What you are asking is a new feature (and new add-on probably), even if the work of PC keyboard braille input add-on may help. You may send a mail to NVDA add-on mailing list to make this request and hope a developer would like to implement it. Or develop it yourself if you have the skills and the possibility.
I personally do not have so much time to do this in the near future.

Cheers,

Cyrille

Cheers,

Cyrille

[...]

I don't have the knowledge to develop for braille keyboards, but I can
try. Although I can't promise anything...

Regards,
David.

[...]

Yes, nothing to do with pcKbBrl add-on, though Hebreu keyboard is working.
Cheers

<cyrille.bougot2=laposte.net@groups.io>:

[...]

derek riemer

We should add one hand mode to NVDA core Can you raise an issue?

--
Derek Riemer
•    Accessibility enthusiast.