Topics

NVDA add-ons community announcements: legacy add-ons page update, community add-ons website will remove add-on dev guide

Hello everyone,

A version of this announcement will be sent to NVDA users soon.

The following announcement stems from a discussion regarding now deprecated Image Describer add-on on NVDA add-ons mailing list (the add-on is no longer working):

As many of you may know, there exist two pages on community add-ons website that are not mentioned frequently:

  • Legacy add-ons page, listing add-ons no longer considered compatible with recent NVDA releases.
  • Add-on development guide, which used to provide information on add-on development basics.

A few weeks ago a situation arose where an add-on advertised itself as compatible with not that old NVDA release stopped functioning. The NVDA add-ons community learned that this add-on, Image Describer, relied on a service that the add-on author did not have access to (specifically, no payment). Because the bulk of the add-on didn’t even work, the community considered removing it from community add-ons website.

While investigating this, the legacy add-ons page was found to contain references to NVDA 2019.3, which wasn’t really future-proof. Although for now mentioning 2019.3 as a backwards incompatible release is fine, NV Access noted a couple times that API’s used by add-ons marked for deprecation will be removed annually (the next such occurrence may happen early next year). Therefore, the legacy add-ons page will now state that the page will list add-ons considered incompatible with more recent NVDA releases, with an option to state latest backwards incompatible NVDA release for many add-ons.

In regards to add-on development guide, it is a bit complicated. Originally the community add-ons site hosted this guide because there was no better place to host this document when it first appeared in late 2013. I have marked this document as untranslatable, but due to the translation workflow, it was translated (which benefited some language communities as a result). In recent years, with the advent of NVDA Add-ons organization on GitHub, add-on development guide found a better home: NVDA Add-ons development wiki. With new material added to GitHub wiki page, the dev guide hosted on community add-ons site naturally ended up becoming horribly outdated.

Therefore, the add-on dev guide hosted on community add-ons website will be removed. This will be done in stages:

  1. No later than August 31, 2020: add-on dev guide page hosted on community add-ons site will provide a link to the official add-on dev guide page found on GitHub, nothing else.
  2. The day NVDA 2021.1 is released: dev guide page hosted on community add-ons website will be deleted permanently.

Thank you.

Noelia Ruiz

Hi, also, the development guide is mentioned now in NVDA readme file.
A link to internals is provided. I think people maybe confused when we
use NVDA development guide for the community guide (writen almost
completely by you) and the NV Access guide. I think this should be
always named Community development guide, or maybe unified with the
guide writen by NV Access when the future add-on store is out, since
then you may include a section about add-ons submision, with add-on
template or other system that can be used (for instance, the add-on
template may be a submodule use only in GitHub Actions, without the
needing to keep all files in each individual repo, just imagining a
possibility). I think that using a link labeled add-on internals is
agood idea so that people don't get confussed between NV Access and
community material, which may have different purposes and history.
Also, speech player in espeak is incompatible and listed in the
development website. And I'm not sure about online image described by
Larry Wann, an excellent add-on who included Image Described by
Oliver. So I think that the website needs to be reviewed carefully, at
least when the store submission for add-ons is out. I suppose that
add-ons have to be quickly reviewed to decide about them and which is
the best section for each one. I'm not sure, sincerely.

[...]

Also, I have noted recently that I am getting an increased number of old xp machines to put the old version of nvda onto. Now I know all the warnings but that is probably not the point, as in most cases these machines are being used off line and mainly for writing documents etc, so I've been looking for add ons for nvda 2017.x ie the last version to work on xp. If you are tidying things up, it might be an idea to see if anyone has the main useful ones and making a kind of lost archive, section.