Topics

NVDA add-ons and Python 3: at least a third of add-ons hosted on community add-ons website are compatible

Hi all,

As a way to inform the community about ongoing Python 3 transition (which began last week but may pick up speed starting in August), I (as the add-ons community coordinator on Python 3 transition) will provide updates on how various add-ons are doing in terms of Python 3 transition. Most status updates will coincide with NVDA milestones e.g. 2019.2 release candidate, 2019.3 beta 1, and so on. I’ll do my best to provide updates once or twice a month.

Notes:

  1. There are tons of add-ons out there, which includes add-ons not hosted on community add-ons website (addons.nvda-project.org).
  2. Add-on compatibility status is based on reports from add-on authors and testing done by at least one user or author.
  3. Some status updates will feature notable add-ons and their compatibility statuses. Some will feature community-wide directives if warranted (first one is below).
  4. You are encouraged to assist in Python 3 transition. Note that although you can make an add-on “compatible” by editing its manifest, not all add-ons will suddenly come to life in NVDA 2019.3 alpha.

Python 3 and add-ons status as of July 29, 2019:

  • Add-on count on community add-ons website: 66 stable add-ons (more if we count add-ons under development section)
  • Compatible: 22
  • Notable compatible add-ons: Add-on Updater, Unicode Braille Input, Resource Monitor, Windows 10 App Essentials, Day Of The Week, MP3 Direct Cut, SystrayList, Golden Cursor.
  • Notable incompatible add-ons: many speech synthesizers, Braille Extender, Clip Contents Designer, Place Markers, Read Feeds, Text Information.
  • Status to be determined: 32 add-ons (although by tomorrow most of them will have their compatibility status determined, and I expect some to be compatible while others will not for the time being).

Community directive (July 2019 no. 1): contact add-on authors. Because many add-ons (including some notable ones) are not compatible at this point, please ask add-on authors about their thoughts about porting their add-ons to Python 3. Depending on which add-ons you are using and author:

  • Speech synthesizers and braille displays: highest of highest of priorities (a few days ago I wrote to an NVDA mailing list regarding it and promised I’ll initiate a community directive on this, and now is the time to start contacting vendors).
  • Control Usage Assistant (Joseph Lee/end of life): I will release a “nightlight” i.e. emergency add-on update in August that will make this add-on Python 3 ready.
  • Add-ons from Noelia Martinez: Noelia says she is aware of community feedback and will get her add-ons ready by 2019.3 beta.

Notable add-ons hosted outside community add-ons website:

  • DictationBridge: developers are aware of Python 3 compatibility issues and will provide an update in an upcoming release.
  • Remote Support: I have contacted at least one of the authors regarding their thoughts on Python 3 compatibility.

Thank you.

Noelia Ruiz

Hi, about add-ons maintained by me mentioned by you:

• Add-ons from Noelia Martinez: Noelia says she is aware of community
feedback and will get her add-ons ready by 2019.3 beta.

You are right. This is to ensure compatibility in case future changes
on alpha versions of NVDA could break compatibility. I think that beta
versions of NVDA are quite stable, and I prefer that my add-ons are
not declared compatible until this is almost 100% sure.
Also, as a note for NV Access and Jamie, I have been requested
privately to maintain the Braille Input for NVDA add-on hosted in the
development section of the website. This was created by Jamie as a
small project, but it becomes useful for some people. Years ago I
added the possibility of typing using one hand, and I mentioned this
and Jamie was aware and he didn't disagree with this, but he has a lot
of important things to do. I shared this on a spanish mailing list for
NVDA.
I have contacted NV Access and Jamie, and if they can't answer about
this, I will maintain this add-on too. This can be found at
https://addons.nvda-project.org/addons/pcKeyboardBrailleInput.en.html

[...]

Can somebody sort out the extended Winamp add on as this seems not to work properly in many ways on Python 3, though there are no actual serious errors it just stops some keys doing what they would normally and strange spoken word things happen for no apparent reason. I've had to disable it.