Topics

NVDA 2020 release schedule

Bill Dengler

Hello,

NVDA 2020.1 has been in beta for a while. Is an RC planned soon?

Also, when do you anticipate 2020.2 moving to beta? July or August?

Thanks,

Bill

Reef Turner

The 2020.1 RC is currently blocked waiting for: https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/pull/11040
We are aiming for a shorter release cycle, so we will likely start the 2020.2 beta as soon as the 2020.1 release is made.

Akash Kakkar

Hey Reef,
You said:
--We are aiming for a shorter release cycle, so we will likely start
the 2020.2 beta as soon as the 2020.1 release is made.--
So, will it be for always or only for this time? and if it will be
persistent, then how many releases we can expect in a year?
Although, I'm interested in having more releases throughout the year.

On 4/21/20, Reef Turner <reef@...> wrote:
The 2020.1 RC is currently blocked waiting for:
https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/pull/11040
We are aiming for a shorter release cycle, so we will likely start the
2020.2 beta as soon as the 2020.1 release is made.

Reef Turner

In the past we have aimed for 4 releases a year. The new approach will likely result in a variable number of releases per year. The releases will be smaller but more often. The release process takes a minimum of 6 weeks from first beta until release. That said, releases may be delayed up by high priority issues. Realistically, I don't expect the number of releases to change drastically.

--We are aiming for a shorter release cycle, so we will likely start the 2020.2 beta as soon as the 2020.1 release is made.-- So, will it be for always or only for this time? and if it will be persistent, then how many releases we can expect in a year?
Although, I'm interested in having more releases throughout the year.

On 4/21/20, Reef Turner <reef@...> wrote:
The 2020.1 RC is currently blocked waiting for:
https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/pull/11040
We are aiming for a shorter release cycle, so we will likely start the
2020.2 beta as soon as the 2020.1 release is made.

Noelia Ruiz

Imo this may be documented if you find it useful, since the article
about the release process was updated more than a year ago.
https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/wiki/ReleaseProcess
Kind regards

[...]

I agree, that page could use updating, though it's a bit of a chicken and egg situation. We are currently working out the details of this process, and trying to be transparent about the changes we are making as we make them. If there are aspects of that page that are particularly misleading, please let me know.

Noelia Ruiz

I agree, that page could use updating, though it's a bit of a chicken and
egg situation. We are currently working out the details of this process, and
trying to be transparent about the changes we are making as we make them. If
there are aspects of that page that are particularly misleading, please let
me know.

Bill Dengler

Hi Reef et al,
Any updates on the 2020.2 release? In particular:
I'd consider #11132 (Say-all repeats some lines) to be a blocking issue. Maybe consider reverting cancellable speech for 2020.2, then restore it again for 2020.3 if a fix can't be found to avoid blocking the release?
I'd like to see #11206 (Browse mode with auto focus focusable elements disabled: Focus focusable ancestor at caret when forcing focus mode with NVDA+space) make it into the release, assuming it's stable. This way there, new fast browse mode can be tested in 2020.2 (as the non-default) and #11190 (which enables fast browse mode by default) can be pushed to 2020.3, giving users lots of time to test and report issues as this new default represents a major change to NVDA functionality.
Windows Terminal has now made it to version 1.0 (stable release), and NVDA 2020.2 makes this application accessible (it currently isn't on previous NVDA builds). We should release this functionality to users as soon as practical.

Thanks,
Bill

--We are aiming for a shorter release cycle, so we will likely start
the
2020.2 beta as soon as the 2020.1 release is made.-- So, will it be
for always or only for this time? and if it will be persistent, then
how many releases we can expect in a year?
Although, I'm interested in having more releases throughout the year.

On 4/21/20, Reef Turner <reef@...> wrote:
The 2020.1 RC is currently blocked waiting for:
https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/pull/11040
We are aiming for a shorter release cycle, so we will likely start
the
2020.2 beta as soon as the 2020.1 release is made.

Rich Caloggero

Hi all.

Sorry for the newbie-type question, but is there a place I can find more info on upcoming ideas / proposals for NVDA. In particular, I am interested in this "fast web" thing mentioned in the following message. Tried searching github issues, but couldn't find anyting relevant.
-- Rich

-- Rich