Topics

New version of dropbox has bespoke follder view with issues for nvda

Brian's Mail list account

Today out of the blue when opening dropbox, I note it opens in some kind of tree view with a lot of verbose info about folders and seems to only allow one instance of this view, making cut and paste very labour intensive between their display and real folders.
Also the status of files in folders when you enter the folder always says unknown in nvda.

The way I have worked around this very silly default view is to replace it by a short cut manually made to the dropbox folder in Windows, and then the original context menus exist as well, at least so far.
The other issue with the new view is that its not indicating when any menu opens, you can only tell something has opened by cursoring down. Similar issue as in their help and preferences views, so they are probably using the same engine. As most people like Dropbox due to its native view of folders, it might be good idea if a dev at nv access talked to Dropbox on this change to make sure its not some slippery slope to inaccessible pages. AS long as the native folders can still be used it will be fine, but we do not know why they have one this change. It would have been nice to have had a classic or enhanced view choice when the new version was accessed for the fist time.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
Newsgroup monitored: alt.comp.blind-users

Vincent Le Goff

Hi,

I might be mistaken, but I think I had the very same issue a few weeks ago, or perhaps more.  I was told by the Dropbox team my account had been setup to test a "new view" that would be deployed for everyone.  I reported at once how inaccessible it was compared to the smooth sailing we had in File Explorer.   They probably made some accessibility changes because what you describe is definitely an improvement.  You can revert to the "old behavior" of having Dropbox open in the File Explorer using a setting in the Dropbox preferences.  I can't remember where, and the Dropbox preferences are not, as far as I'm concerned, that accessible, but I think it's just in the general tab, not hidden in a remote location.

HTH,

Vincent

On 10/25/2019 5:41 PM, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:
Today out of the blue when opening dropbox, I note it opens in some kind of tree view with a lot of verbose info about folders and seems to only allow one instance of this view, making cut and paste very labour intensive between their display and real folders.
Also the status of files in folders when you enter the folder always says unknown in nvda.

The way I have worked around this very silly default view is to replace it by a short cut manually made to the dropbox folder in Windows, and then the original context menus exist as well, at least so far.
The other issue with the new view is that its not indicating when any menu opens, you can only tell something has opened by cursoring down. Similar issue as in their help and preferences views, so they are probably using the same engine. As most people like Dropbox due to its native view of folders, it might be  good idea if a dev at nv access talked to Dropbox on this change to make sure its not some slippery slope to inaccessible  pages. AS long as the native folders can still be used it will be fine, but we do not know why they have one this change. It would have been nice to have had a classic or enhanced view choice when the new version was accessed for the fist time.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.

I wrote to them suggesting that this should be a choice at start up of a new version, I've had the usual email back about it being looked into.

Its seemingly like the old web site issue. for some odd reason, the companies want to change things or add pointless extras when the basic package worked fine before. Ccleaner seems to have gone down this route as has the revo uninstaller and many other previously good accessible pieces of software.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.

----- Original Message -----
To: <nvda-devel@groups.io>
Sent: Friday, October 25, 2019 6:32 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda-devel] New version of dropbox has bespoke follder view with issues for nvda

Hi,

I might be mistaken, but I think I had the very same issue a few weeks ago, or perhaps more. I was told by the Dropbox team my account had been setup to test a "new view" that would be deployed for everyone. I reported at once how inaccessible it was compared to the smooth sailing we had in File Explorer. They probably made some accessibility changes because what you describe is definitely an improvement. You can revert to the "old behavior" of having Dropbox open in the File Explorer using a setting in the Dropbox preferences. I can't remember where, and the Dropbox preferences are not, as far as I'm concerned, that accessible, but I think it's just in the general tab, not hidden in a remote location.

HTH,

Vincent

The other issue with the new view is that its not indicating when any menu opens, you can only tell something has opened by cursoring down. Similar issue as in their help and preferences views, so they are probably using the same engine. As most people like Dropbox due to its native view of folders, it might be good idea if a dev at nv access talked to Dropbox on this change to make sure its not some slippery slope to inaccessible pages. AS long as the native folders can still be used it will be fine, but we do not know why they have one this change. It would have been nice to have had a classic or enhanced view choice when the new version was accessed for the fist time.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.

Vincent Le Goff

Again it seems some products don't resist the urge to update and updates so often break accessibility.  I don't know what everyone feels about constant updating, but it sure isn't fun in terms of accessibility.  Websites have it worse, though the webdesigner is usually happy to announce a "new version, more  beautiful and usable than the last one".  Yeah... in most cases, not so much for screen readers.

Vincent

On 10/26/2019 9:29 AM, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:
I wrote to them suggesting that this should be a choice at start up of a new version, I've had the usual email back about it being looked into.

Its seemingly like  the old web site issue. for some odd reason, the companies  want to change things or add pointless extras when the basic package worked fine before. Ccleaner seems to have gone down this route as has the revo uninstaller and many other previously good accessible pieces of software.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Vincent Le Goff" <vincent.legoff.srs@...>
Subject: Re: [nvda-devel] New version of dropbox has bespoke follder view with issues for nvda

Hi,

I might be mistaken, but I think I had the very same issue a few weeks ago, or perhaps more. I was told by the Dropbox team my account had been setup to test a "new view" that would be deployed for everyone. I reported at once how inaccessible it was compared to the smooth sailing we had in File Explorer. They probably made some accessibility changes because what you describe is definitely an improvement. You can revert to the "old behavior" of having Dropbox open in the File Explorer using a setting in the Dropbox preferences. I can't remember where, and the Dropbox preferences are not, as far as I'm concerned, that accessible, but I think it's just in the general tab, not hidden in a remote location.

HTH,

Vincent

Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.

zvonimir stanečić, 9a5dsz

Yes, thinks like:
We have added a new look and feel to our service.
Common practice for the marketers and developers of such services.
Dropbox also limited the numbers of devices you can connect to your account.
Pretty sad, though.

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda-devel@groups.io <nvda-devel@groups.io> On Behalf Of Vincent Le Goff
Sent: Saturday, October 26, 2019 3:00 PM
To: nvda-devel@groups.io

Again it seems some products don't resist the urge to update and updates so often break accessibility. I don't know what everyone feels about constant updating, but it sure isn't fun in terms of accessibility. Websites have it worse, though the webdesigner is usually happy to announce a "new version, more beautiful and usable than the last one". Yeah... in most cases, not so much for screen readers.

Vincent

On 10/26/2019 9:29 AM, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:
I wrote to them suggesting that this should be a choice at start up of
a new version, I've had the usual email back about it being looked into.

Its seemingly like the old web site issue. for some odd reason, the
companies want to change things or add pointless extras when the
basic package worked fine before. Ccleaner seems to have gone down
this route as has the revo uninstaller and many other previously good
accessible pieces of software.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Vincent Le Goff"
<vincent.legoff.srs@...>
Subject: Re: [nvda-devel] New version of dropbox has bespoke follder
view with issues for nvda

Hi,

I might be mistaken, but I think I had the very same issue a few
weeks ago, or perhaps more. I was told by the Dropbox team my account
had been setup to test a "new view" that would be deployed for
everyone. I reported at once how inaccessible it was compared to the
smooth sailing we had in File Explorer. They probably made some
accessibility changes because what you describe is definitely an
improvement. You can revert to the "old behavior" of having Dropbox
open in the File Explorer using a setting in the Dropbox preferences.
I can't remember where, and the Dropbox preferences are not, as far
as I'm concerned, that accessible, but I think it's just in the
general tab, not hidden in a remote location.

HTH,

Vincent

Today out of the blue when opening dropbox, I note it opens in some
kind of tree view with a lot of verbose info about folders and seems
to only allow one instance of this view, making cut and paste very
labour intensive between their display and real folders.
Also the status of files in folders when you enter the folder always
says unknown in nvda.

The way I have worked around this very silly default view is to
replace it by a short cut manually made to the dropbox folder in
Windows, and then the original context menus exist as well, at least
so far.
The other issue with the new view is that its not indicating when
any menu opens, you can only tell something has opened by cursoring
down. Similar issue as in their help and preferences views, so they
are probably using the same engine. As most people like Dropbox due
to its native view of folders, it might be good idea if a dev at nv
access talked to Dropbox on this change to make sure its not some
slippery slope to inaccessible pages. AS long as the native folders
can still be used it will be fine, but we do not know why they have
one this change. It would have been nice to have had a classic or
enhanced view choice when the new version was accessed for the fist
time.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.

James Scholes

In the Dropbox preferences, find the "Open the desktop app when starting Dropbox" check box and uncheck it. Then tab a few times to the "Open folders in:" combo box and set it to "Explorer". The old behaviour will be restored.

Regards,

James Scholes

On 25/10/2019 at 4:41 pm, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:
The other issue with the new view is that its not indicating when any menu opens, you can only tell something has opened by cursoring down. Similar issue as in their help and preferences views, so they are probably using the same engine. As most people like Dropbox due to its native view of folders, it might be  good idea if a dev at nv access talked to Dropbox on this change to make sure its not some slippery slope to inaccessible  pages. AS long as the native folders can still be used it will be fine, but we do not know why they have one this change. It would have been nice to have had a classic or enhanced view choice when the new version was accessed for the fist time.
Brian
bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.

Yes but the control types are not announced. Once I found it sort of works like a combo box it was fine, it would have been real handy if they had flagged all this on first run of this version, since my crystal ball is out of commission, as will be many others.

I'm not really sure who the new view is aimed at. Sighted people I've talked to seem to think it also verbose and difficult to operate compared to explorer as well.
Another justification of being a programmer in work I guess.

Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.

----- Original Message -----
Sent: Saturday, October 26, 2019 1:40 PM

In the Dropbox preferences, find the "Open the desktop app when starting
Dropbox" check box and uncheck it. Then tab a few times to the "Open
folders in:" combo box and set it to "Explorer". The old behaviour will
be restored.

Regards,

James Scholes

On 25/10/2019 at 4:41 pm, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io wrote:

Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.