Topics

Joseph Lee's add-ons and NVDA 2019.3: Python 3 alpha builds of Resource Monitor and StationPlaylist are now available

Hi all,

A few days ago I wrote that I’ll release Python 3 alpha versions of some of my add-ons (ones with Python 3 strict branch or requiring NVDA 2019.3 technologies) shortly after NVDA 2019.2 sees the light of day. Now that it did, I’m releasing Python 3 alpha versions of the following add-ons:

IMPORTANT NOTES:

  1. These add-ons REQUIRE NVDA 2019.3 alpha.
  2. Update check for these add-ons will not be possible – Add-on Updater doesn’t know how to check for updates for Python 3 alpha builds, and that is intentional.
  3. After installing these add-ons, there is no going back. For this reason, please use another copy of NVDA for testing these add-ons.
  4. For StationPlaylist users: the Python 3 alpha builds of this add-on will be released only if significant changes were made to SPL add-on that warrants testing with NVDA 2019.3 alpha. Those on development snapshots (regular ones, that is) will not see Python 3 version of SPL add-on until shortly after 2019.3 RC is released; a limited field testing will take place during 2019.3 beta cycle. Due to pickle protocol changes, after installing today’s alpha snapshot, there is no going back.
  5. For Resource Monitor users: you’ll notice smaller download size due to removal of Python 2 version of psutil. Python 3 alpha version of Resource Monitor will bundle Python 3 version of psutil.
  6. There will be more add-ons joining the Python 3 alpha testing program, either because they will be optimized for Python 3 (such as SystrayList), supports newer versions of NVDA (such as Windows 10 App Essentials), or a combination of these.

Any feedback on my add-ons participating in Python 3 alpha testing are welcome.

OK one query. I've updated nothing on the alpha branch since yesterday, but booting up alpha today gives...
initializing updateCheck
INFO - core.main (20:07:28.700):
NVDA initialized
DEBUG - core.main (20:07:28.701):
entering wx application main loop
INFO - updateCheck.AutoUpdateChecker._started (20:07:28.712):
Performing automatic update check
IO - speech.speak (20:07:28.739):
Speaking [LangChangeCommand ('en_GB'), 'Taskbar']
DEBUGWARNING - characterProcessing._getSpeechSymbolsForLocale (20:07:28.740):
No CLDR data for locale en_GB
ERROR - stderr (20:07:29.565):
Exception in thread Thread-23:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "threading.pyc", line 926, in _bootstrap_inner
File "threading.pyc", line 870, in run
File "C:\nvda extra\userConfig\addons\addonUpdater\globalPlugins\addonUpdater\addonHandlerEx.py", line 134, in fetchAddonInfo
addonUrl = results[addonKey]
KeyError: 'tbx-stable'
DEBUG - windowUtils.getWindowScalingFactor (20:07:30.091):
GetDpiForWindow failed, using GetDeviceCaps instead
IO - inputCore.InputManager.executeGesture (20:07:33.454):
Input: kb(desktop):downArrow
IO - inputCore.InputManager.executeGesture (20:07:33.998):
Input: kb(desktop):upArrow
IO - inputCore.InputManager.executeGesture (20:07:36.174):
Input: kb(desktop):downArrow
IO - inputCore.InputManager.executeGesture (20:07:37.054):
Input: kb(desktop):alt+tab
IO - speech.speak (20:07:37.117):
Speaking [LangChangeCommand ('en_GB'), '2nvda develop list - Outlook Express - Brians lists account BGlists icon 1 of 2']
IO - speech.speak (20:07:37.742):
Speaking [LangChangeCommand ('en_GB'), '2nvda develop list - Outlook Express - Brians lists account BGlists']
IO - speech.speak (20:07:37.842):
Speaking [LangChangeCommand ('en_GB'), 'Outlook Express Message List list']
IO - speech.speak (20:07:37.940):
Speaking [LangChangeCommand ('en_GB'), "From: Joseph Lee; Subject: [nvda-devel] Joseph Lee's add-ons and NVDA 2019.3: Python 3 alpha builds of Resource Monitor and StationPlaylist are now available; Received: 14/08/2019 18:23 1392 of

Is this due to the way you are stopping Python 3 add ons in add on updater?

A few days ago I wrote that I'll release Python 3 alpha versions of some of
my add-ons (ones with Python 3 strict branch or requiring NVDA 2019.3
technologies) shortly after NVDA 2019.2 sees the light of day. Now that it
did, I'm releasing Python 3 alpha versions of the following add-ons:

* Resource Monitor:
http://www.josephsl.net/files/nvdaaddons/py3/resourceMonitor-20190814-py3.nv
da-addon
* StationPlaylist:
http://www.josephsl.net/files/nvdaaddons/py3/stationPlaylist-20190814-py3.nv
da-addon

[...]

Erm if you are running both versions of resource monitor together now, why would you change that as leaving the python 2 parts would presumably mean you only need one copy of that add on if you have old and new versions of nvda in use. I know a lot of people who keep older versions around as well.
Is this not making more work for everyone and yourself?

[...]

The traceback? No, that one (again) has nothing to do with Python 3 alpha
and inability to update them via Add-on updater at this time. Although I
might be able to resolve issues with add-ons using update channel manifest
key in odd ways from the server side, I prefer to let authors handle this
themselves. As I wrote before, I'll provide a way to let outdated add-ons
with odd update channel behavior receive updates via Add-on Updater in
upcoming version 19.08.1 and 19.09.

[...]

- Brians lists account BGlists'] IO - speech.speak (20:07:37.842):
[...]

I have now downloaded the latest alpha and that error has not reappeared.

[...]

It seems to have sorted it out after the alpha update. I guess having both python 2 and 3 versions of nvda on this windows 7 machine might be an issue from time to time. Also still no auto update on alpha snaps, it says its checking but never does till I force it from the help menu.