Topics

Joseph Lee's add-ons and Python 3: most are compatible

Hi NVDA community,

This is to inform you that most of my add-ons are compatible with Python 3 version of NVDA (a follow-up post about some add-ons is next). Compatible add-ons include:

• Add-on Updater
  • Easy Table Navigator
  • Enhanced Touch Gestures
  • Golden Cursor (deep maintenance mode)
  • GoldWave
  • Object Location Tones
  • ObjPad
  • Resource Monitor
  • StationPlaylist
  • SystrayList (deep maintenance mode)
  • Virtual review (deep maintenance mode)
  • Windows 10 App Essentials

Notable announcements:

• Control Usage Assistant: even though it is end of life, I’ll provide a nightlight release that makes it compatible with at least 2019.3; the nightlight release will be done before 2019.3 release candidate is released.
  • Add-ons marked as deep maintenance mode: I’m stepping down from maintaining these add-ons by end of this year, but before that, I’ll make sure they are compatible with at least Python 3. There is a bigger announcement about these add-ons coming shortly.
  • Easy Table Navigator and Enhanced Touch Gestures: although compatible, a version that is Python 3 aware isn’t out there yet. I’ll make a release today that will do just that.
  • GoldWave: the reason for calling last night’s release 19.04.1 is because the next version will take advantage of features included in newer NVDA releases. As I noted earlier, 19.04.1 is the last version to support older NVDA releases, Windows XP and Vista, and GoldWave 5.
  • Python 3 strict: several add-ons do have a version that is strictly Python 3. These include Add-on Updater, Resource Monitor, and StationPlaylist. I’ll release Python 3 strict versions of these add-ons for testing purposes in August (after installing those, there is no going back). For Add-on Updater, the day 2019.3 stable comes out is the day Python 3 strict version will take over. For Resource Monitor and StationPlaylist, they will support Python 2 version of NVDA for a while longer – 60 days after release of 2019.3 stable or December 31, 2019, whichever happens earlier (I’ll send a follow-up announcement once 2019.3 stable comes out). For StationPlaylist 18.09.x-LTS, they will not be powered strictly by Python 3, although that branch is Python 3 ready.
  • Version jumps: a few weeks ago I hinted that several add-ons will absolutely require newer NVDA releases. In addition to Add-on Updater from above, some other add-ons will go through NVDA version jumps, and some will even require Python 3 version of NVDA in the near future (see above for notes).

As always, if you have any feedback on any of these add-ons, please let me know.

Cheers,

Joseph

Hello Joseph,

You say that the "SystrayList" add-on is compatible, but when I updated today to version alpha-18195,fa7f6438 of NVDA, one of the disabled due to incompatibility add-ons was the "SystrayList" one. The version of the "SystrayList" add-on is 3.5. Any ideas why?

Oops, make that two such add-ons - "Virtual review" also is stated by you as compatible, but was disabled due to incompatibility. The version of "Virtual review" is 2.7.

I checked for add-on updates, but it told me that my add-ons are up-to-date.

Thanks in advance!

______
Best wishes,
Kostadin Kolev

На 26.7.2019 г. в 17:31, Joseph Lee написа:

Hi NVDA community,

This is to inform you that most of my add-ons are compatible with Python 3 version of NVDA (a follow-up post about some add-ons is next). Compatible add-ons include:

• Add-on Updater
  • Easy Table Navigator
  • GoldWave
  • Object Location Tones
  • ObjPad
  • Resource Monitor
  • StationPlaylist

Notable announcements:

• Control Usage Assistant: even though it is end of life, I’ll provide a nightlight release that makes it compatible with at least 2019.3; the nightlight release will be done before 2019.3 release candidate is released.
  • Add-ons marked as deep maintenance mode: I’m stepping down from maintaining these add-ons by end of this year, but before that, I’ll make sure they are compatible with at least Python 3. There is a bigger announcement about these add-ons coming shortly.
  • Easy Table Navigator and Enhanced Touch Gestures: although compatible, a version that is Python 3 aware isn’t out there yet. I’ll make a release today that will do just that.
  • GoldWave: the reason for calling last night’s release 19.04.1 is because the next version will take advantage of features included in newer NVDA releases. As I noted earlier, 19.04.1 is the last version to support older NVDA releases, Windows XP and Vista, and GoldWave 5.
  • Python 3 strict: several add-ons do have a version that is strictly Python 3. These include Add-on Updater, Resource Monitor, and StationPlaylist. I’ll release Python 3 strict versions of these add-ons for testing purposes in August (after installing those, there is no going back). For Add-on Updater, the day 2019.3 stable comes out is the day Python 3 strict version will take over. For Resource Monitor and StationPlaylist, they will support Python 2 version of NVDA for a while longer – 60 days after release of 2019.3 stable or December 31, 2019, whichever happens earlier (I’ll send a follow-up announcement once 2019.3 stable comes out). For StationPlaylist 18.09.x-LTS, they will not be powered strictly by Python 3, although that branch is Python 3 ready.
  • Version jumps: a few weeks ago I hinted that several add-ons will absolutely require newer NVDA releases. In addition to Add-on Updater from above, some other add-ons will go through NVDA version jumps, and some will even require Python 3 version of NVDA in the near future (see above for notes).

As always, if you have any feedback on any of these add-ons, please let me know.

Cheers,

Joseph

Hi,

Ah yes, caused by manifests. I have a solution for that coming right up (in a few hours).

Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda-devel@groups.io <nvda-devel@groups.io> On Behalf Of Kostadin Kolev
Sent: Friday, July 26, 2019 8:02 AM
To: nvda-devel@groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda-devel] Joseph Lee's add-ons and Python 3: most are compatible

Hello Joseph,

You say that the "SystrayList" add-on is compatible, but when I updated today to version alpha-18195,fa7f6438 of NVDA, one of the disabled due to incompatibility add-ons was the "SystrayList" one. The version of the "SystrayList" add-on is 3.5. Any ideas why?

Oops, make that two such add-ons - "Virtual review" also is stated by you as compatible, but was disabled due to incompatibility. The version of "Virtual review" is 2.7.

I checked for add-on updates, but it told me that my add-ons are up-to-date.

Thanks in advance!

______
Best wishes,
Kostadin Kolev

На 26.7.2019 г. в 17:31, Joseph Lee написа:

Hi NVDA community,

• Add-on Updater
  • Easy Table Navigator
  • GoldWave
  • Object Location Tones
  • ObjPad
  • Resource Monitor
  • StationPlaylist

Notable announcements:

Cheers,

Joseph