Topics

Joseph Lee's add-ons: transition maintenance mode for stable add-ons, dev snapshots to require NVDA 2019.3 in any form after NVDACon 2019

Dear NVDA developers and add-ons community,

People who are keeping an eye on NVDA source code changes may have noticed the following: as of November 11, 2019, beta branch is powered by Python 3. This usually takes place before arrival of public betas by a few days to weeks. I’ll provide guidance for add-ons community once NVDA 2019.3 beta 1 is tagged.

In regards to my add-ons, the following is in effect or will go into effect shortly after NVDACon 2019 (November 15-16, 2019):

Python 3 strict builds will go mainstream after NVDACon 2019, rolling out to everyone by February 2020: for now anyone wishing to use an add-on that is marked as “Python 3 strict” must download them from my website. Shortly after NVDACon 2019, my add-ons will move to strictly Python 3, beginning with development snapshots for certain add-ons (mostly StationPlaylist and Windows 10 App Essentials). Over the next few weeks, Python 3 builds will gradually show up on other update channels, ending with an add-on release by late January 2020 (so by February 2020, all of my add-ons will require NVDA 2019.3.). This timetable is subject to change depending on when NVDA 2019.3 stable version is released.

Stable add-ons are in transition maintenance mode, effective immediately: currently stable versions of my add-ons are written in a mixture of old and new code in order to maximize compatibility – this means it works with NVDA 2019.3, too. In order to concentrate on gathering feedback on Python 3 builds of add-ons, I’ll be suspending adding new features to stable add-ons – that is, until a given add-on is powered by Python 3, only bug fixes and localization updates will be seen on almost all of my add-ons (exceptions include Add-on Updater and Windows 10 App Essentials).

During transition maintenance mode, version numbers will be based on latest major release i.e. for StationPlaylist, you’ll see 19.11.3 and 19.11.4 in December (if they are ever released). In other words, there will be no version 19.12 i.e. no major release in December 2019.

To summarize:

  • Any stable add-on releases from me scheduled for 2019 are compatible with old and new releases.
  • Anything stable to be released from me on January 1, 2020 and later will require NVDA 2019.3.
  • If you are using development snapshots of my add-ons, Python 3 build switchover is just a few days away: shortly after NVDACon 2019. If you absolutely need to use NVDA 2019.2.1 or earlier (including due to incompatible add-ons in NVDA 2019.3 of any form), PLEASE SWITCH TO STABLE UPDATE CHANNEL TODAY! To do so, for any add-on you need to use in stable form, go to NVDA menu/Preferences/Settings/Add-on Updater, and uncheck the checkboxes for add-ons under “prefer development releases” list; if you are not using Add-on Updater, don’t worry.

Hi,

Somehow pressed Contorl+Enter by accident…

Continuing from the note below:

Special notice for Screen Curtain add-on users: effective November 15, 2019, this add-on will be deprecated – no more releases from me. This add-on will be retired the day NVDA 2019.3 stable version is released.

Reminder for Golden Cursor and SystrayList add-on users: there will be one more (and major) release of these add-ons from me before I hand over maintenance of these add-ons to the community. These final releases will indeed require NVDA 2019.3.

If you have any questions, feel free to contact me via various means (email, Facebook, Twitter, etc.). Also, if you’re coming to my informal ad-don users meeting at NVDACon 2019, I’ll spend some time going over what I outlined in this email thread.

[...]

Brian's Mail list account

This must be giving add on authors a massive pain in the brain right now.
I mean even add ons that have been converted , now seem to be not working in the latest Alpha. No not seen any announcement about betas being updated. I think it would be nice if this could be posted widely to let the general user find out now which add ons do not work any more, before the time gets too close to the update, since we have Christmas and new year and that will obviously distract a lot of us away from testing.