Topics

java accessibility way of notification

Christopher Pross

Hey guys,

I conttibuting to an open-source program, a chat app which is written in swing.

My problem is as follows:

I want to announce the chat messages if there are recieved. there are written in a textarea, but UIA only detects a caret move and the accessiblity-value is none.

I need some way to notify the screenreader that there is a new message, it would be awesome if this could be managed by a standard solution.

Of curse I could forge the project and build in the NVDA-Controler, but I think this is a dirty-way.

Any ideas?

I have already find the jabcontext and the accesssibilityTextInfo and so on. But I don't understand it and the documentation is very laggy.

Also this don't inform how many text is in the textarea, so I have to compare it myself every x second with a nvda-addon. I tried this already. This is a solution which is very inperformant and cost a lot of resources.

I hope you anderstand my problem and can help me.

all the best,

Christopher.

Bill Dengler

Use NVDAObjects.behaviours.LiveText if the object sends text change events. You will need to deal with starting and stopping monitoring though.

Bill

On Oct 6, 2020, at 11:31, Christopher Pross <chpross42@...> wrote:

[...]

thank you for the quick answer,  the textarea don't send livetext events, but I contrebuting to the program, do you know, how I could try to send the events from swing?

Or how to search for this fearture?

all the best,

Christopher