Topics

Important notice: the end is approaching for users of Joseph Lee's add-ons on old NVDA and Windows releases

Dear NVDA community,

The following notice is applicable if you are using any of my add-ons under the following combination:

  • NVDA 2018.4 or earlier
  • Windows XP, Vista, 7 without Service Pack 1

For many years, many of my add-ons supported the above combination. Despite NV Access announcing that Windows XP support is no more as of NVDA 2017.4, I continued to support it in consideration for folks who might be using it. However, the time has now come to say goodbye to the above combination:

  1. All add-ons I have released so far (including ones I have maintained on behalf of the community) will continue to work on Windows XP, Vista, and 7 without SP1 for a while. In fact, today’s updates for the add-ons listed below will be the last releases to support these Windows releases.
  2. Support for old (and now unsupported) Windows and NVDA releases will be dropped from ALL my add-ons by end of this year. Although I don’t know the exact date, it’ll be either 60 days after release of NVDA 2019.3 stable or December 31, 2019, whichever is earlier. Some add-ons may end support early. Once this happens, you’ll need NVDA 2019.3 running on Windows 7 SP1 or later unless noted otherwise.

If you want to know which add-ons are affected, open Add-ons Manager and click About for each add-on. If minimum version is shown as 2017.3 or earlier (or perhaps 0.0), then the above notice applies.

For reference, the following add-ons are affected:

  • Add-on Updater: will require NVDA 2019.3 seven days after the stable version comes out.
  • Control Usage Assistant: although doesn’t apply directly, there will be no more updates after the nightlight release (later this year).
  • Easy Table Navigator
  • GoldWave: the next version (September) will require NVDA 2019.1 or later and GoldWave 6.
  • Object Location Tones
  • ObjPad

In addition, the following add-ons are under deep maintenance mode. Today’s update releases are last versions to support old Windows and NVDA releases, with the next version (scheduled for later this year) will require NVDA 2019.3 and will be the last releases from me:

  • Golden Cursor
  • SystrayList
  • Virtual Review