Topics

Excel: Three Small Fixes

Jim Homme

Hi,

Would this be something too small for an add-on? I’m wishing for three things to happen in Excel and thinking of attempting to change them. I’m unsure if I can do this based on my Python knowledge, but I’m annoyed enough to try.

First: In Excel, if I move, I want NVDA to say column headers and row headers first, not last.

Second, if I choose something in an in-cell dropdown, the description property and the name property in the log always has the exact same information. Even though I consider this a Microsoft issue, I still wish it only spoke once. I want to make NVDA ignore the description, but do not want to turn that setting off. I created a profile that does this to get around the problem.

Third, in the VBA editor, F8 steps through code and moves the cursor to the next line. I would like NVDA to figure out that I am in the VBA editor and say the line after I press F8.

Thanks.

Jim

==========

Jim Homme

Digital Accessibility

Bender Consulting Services

412-787-8567

https://www.benderconsult.com/our%20services/hightest-accessible-technology-solutions

Ralf Kefferpuetz

Your first ask is a long going thread on github, I prefer an option to give us the option what is spoken first, the cell coordinates or the cell content. My personal optinion is that the cell coordinates should be spoken before the cell content….but this opinion differs 😊

[...]

James Scholes

On 16/08/2019 at 10:03 pm, Ralf Kefferpuetz wrote:
Your first ask is a long going thread on github, I prefer an option to give us the option what is spoken first, the cell coordinates or the cell content.
This isn't what the original poster is asking for. They want to change the order in which column/row headers are spoken, relative to the overall speaking of the cell itself.

Regards,

[...]

Bill Dengler

As for your second and third requests, they should be possible:
2. Figure out how to identify the control and create a CUSTOM NVDA class. Set the description property to the empty string.
3. Bind f8 to a custom script in VBA editor.

Bill

On 16 Aug 2019, at 14:45, Jim Homme <jhomme@...> wrote:

[...]

Luke Davis

On Sat, 17 Aug 2019, James Scholes wrote:

On 16/08/2019 at 10:03 pm, Ralf Kefferpuetz wrote:
Your first ask is a long going thread on github, I prefer an option to give us the option what is spoken first, the cell coordinates or the cell content.
This isn't what the original poster is asking for. They want to change the order in which column/row headers are spoken, relative to the overall speaking of the cell itself.
Interesting. I read that the OP said row and column headers too, but in my mind immediately translated that to cell coordinates and continued reading on that basis. In other words, I understood it the same as Ralf did.

Given your more precise reading, that raises a question.

In Excel? even with row and column header announcements turned on, the row/column headers aren't spoken at all. It isn't even clear how NVDA would know what the column and row headers are.
In fact I can't figure out a way to make it speak headers even if I try.

It does, however, speak cell coordinates.

This is why my original understanding of the message went to coordinates out of the box.

So, how exactly does one get NVDA to announce column and row headers in Excel in the first place, so I can then decide whether I like them spoken first or last?

Luke

Luke Davis

On Fri, 16 Aug 2019, Luke Davis wrote:

In Excel? even with row and column header announcements turned on, the row/column headers aren't spoken at all. It isn't even clear how NVDA would know what the column and row headers are.
I take that back, I see how it is done.

Luke Davis

On Fri, 16 Aug 2019, Jim Homme wrote:

Would this be something too small for an add-on? I’m wishing for three things to happen in Excel and thinking of attempting to change them. I’m unsure if I
can do this based on my Python knowledge, but I’m annoyed enough to try.
To answer your original question: personally, I don't know why those things shouldn't be done in an add-on.

Thing one, the order of header vs. cell contents, should hopefully make it into core at some point. But that may not happen quickly enough if you just set out to make it a PR against core.

After you've addressed your particular troublesome issues, you might also consider, for some future version of your add-on, addressing one of the other Excel annoyances out there: switching worksheets, and viewing the worksheet list, via F6. This can only be done currently via NVDA+F7, alt+f, arrow to sheets, tab to the list. However a single press of F6, is the intended (by Microsoft) keyboard shortcut for accessing that list.

See a discussion about it here: https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda/topic/moving_between_worksheets_in/31955276?p=,,,20,0,0,0::recentpostdate/sticky,,,20,2,0,31955276

Luke