Topics

Error: timer can only be started from the main thread

Cyrille

Hello
Using NVDA 2019.3.1, I have encountered several times this error:
wx._core.wxAssertionError: C++ assertion "wxThread::IsMain()" failed at ..\..\src\common\timerimpl.cpp(60) in wxTimerImpl::Start(): timer can only be started from the main thread
At the beginning, I was thinking that the Windows Magnifier add-on I am developping was responsible for this, since it was happening some times when modifying the zoom level. However, I have finally got this error also with Windows Magnifier add-on disabled when navigating in the processus list with table nav commands. Here is the part of the log:
IO - inputCore.executeGesture (13:18:50.682) - winInputHook (14028):
Input: kb(desktop):alt+control+downArrow
ERROR - unhandled exception (13:18:50.702) - winInputHook (14028):
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "wx\core.pyc", line 3240, in <lambda>
wx._core.wxAssertionError: C++ assertion "wxThread::IsMain()" failed at ..\..\src\common\timerimpl.cpp(60) in wxTimerImpl::Start(): timer can only be started from the main thread
ERROR - unhandled exception (13:18:50.712) - winInputHook (14028):
  File "wx\core.pyc", line 3284, in __init__
  File "wx\core.pyc", line 3305, in Start
IO - inputCore.executeGesture (13:18:50.731) - winInputHook (14028):
Input: kb(desktop):control+

Windows Magnifier add-on was disabled but some other add-ons were enabled. Thus, I cannot figure if this issue comes from another add-on or from NVDA itself.
I did not succeed in reproducing this issue with all add-ons disabled. But with add-ons enabled this bug shows up too rarely to be able to reproduce it in a reliable way. Thus I cannot guarantee that the add-ons are the cause of this bug.
Has someone also seen this bug?
Has someone an idea of the origin of this bug? Or an idea to investigate it?
Thanks.
Cheers,
Cyrille

Hi,

What add-ons do you have? It is likely that an add-on isn’t starting/queueing timers from the main thread.

Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda-devel@groups.io <nvda-devel@groups.io> On Behalf Of Cyrille via Groups.Io
Sent: Friday, February 21, 2020 5:47 AM
To: nvda-devel@groups.io
Subject: [nvda-devel] Error: timer can only be started from the main thread

Hello

At the beginning, I was thinking that the Windows Magnifier add-on I am developping was responsible for this, since it was happening some times when modifying the zoom level. However, I have finally got this error also with Windows Magnifier add-on disabled when navigating in the processus list with table nav commands. Here is the part of the log:

Windows Magnifier add-on was disabled but some other add-ons were enabled. Thus, I cannot figure if this issue comes from another add-on or from NVDA itself.

I did not succeed in reproducing this issue with all add-ons disabled. But with add-ons enabled this bug shows up too rarely to be able to reproduce it in a reliable way. Thus I cannot guarantee that the add-ons are the cause of this bug.

Thanks.

Cheers,

Cyrille

Cyrille

Hi Joseph
Thanks for answering.
I have the following add-ons.
[('Access8Math', '2.3'), ('addonUpdater', '19.11'), ('audioChart', '1.2'), ('charInfo', '1.3'), ('clock', '19.12-dev'), ('columnsReview', '3.0-20191212-dev'), ('developerToolkit', '2020.2'), ('easyTableNavigator', '2.0'), ('Eloquence', '2019.10.08'), ('EnhancedPhoneticReading', '0.5a2'), ('IBMTTS', '19.10B2'), ('instantTranslate', '20191216-dev'), ('outlookExtended', '1.5-dev-20200211'), ('placeMarkers', '14.0'), ('resourceMonitor', '20.01'), ('SentenceNav', '2.7'), ('speechHistory', '2019.03.30_CB'), ('switchSynth', '1.03'), ('tonysEnhancements', '1.2'), ('VLCAccessEnhancement', '2.0.2'), ('webAccess', '2019.12.13'), ('winMag', '1.0-dev-20200219')]

This makes a lot of add-ons. And since the issue occurs only from time to time, I cannot disable add-ons one by one to find where is the problem.
That's why I was wondering if there is a way to know who has created this timer. Or if anyone else was experimenting the same issue.
Cheers,
Cyrille
----- Mail d'origine -----
De: Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@...>
À: nvda-devel@groups.io
Envoyé: Fri, 21 Feb 2020 13:55:53 +0100 (CET)
Objet: Re: [nvda-devel] Error: timer can only be started from the main thread

Hi,

What add-ons do you have? It is likely that an add-on isn’t starting/queueing timers from the main thread.

Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda-devel@groups.io <nvda-devel@groups.io> On Behalf Of Cyrille via Groups.Io
Sent: Friday, February 21, 2020 5:47 AM
To: nvda-devel@groups.io
Subject: [nvda-devel] Error: timer can only be started from the main thread

Hello

Thanks.

Cheers,

Cyrille

Brian's Mail list account

It occurred to me that any add on that is permanently active is likely to be one of the culprits. Perhaps this might help. I remember a similar error to this when the machine itself was doing a back up and the nvda in question did have a lot of add ons. Perhaps there is just not enough time for one of the add ons to do its stuff and it has poor sensing of when its not supposed to start the timer. Obviously, I'm a lay person at your level. However there does seem to be one heck of a lot of add ons in there to me. Does the IBM tts need to be there? Also there are a lot I do not recognise and as such they have probably not been tested by many people.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
Newsgroup monitored: alt.comp.blind-users

----- Original Message -----
From: "Cyrille via Groups.Io" <cyrille.bougot2=laposte.net@groups.io>
To: <nvda-devel@groups.io>
Sent: Friday, February 21, 2020 3:28 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda-devel] Error: timer can only be started from the main thread

Hi Joseph

Thanks for answering.

[('Access8Math', '2.3'), ('addonUpdater', '19.11'), ('audioChart', '1.2'), ('charInfo', '1.3'), ('clock', '19.12-dev'), ('columnsReview', '3.0-20191212-dev'), ('developerToolkit', '2020.2'), ('easyTableNavigator', '2.0'), ('Eloquence', '2019.10.08'), ('EnhancedPhoneticReading', '0.5a2'), ('IBMTTS', '19.10B2'), ('instantTranslate', '20191216-dev'), ('outlookExtended', '1.5-dev-20200211'), ('placeMarkers', '14.0'), ('resourceMonitor', '20.01'), ('SentenceNav', '2.7'), ('speechHistory', '2019.03.30_CB'), ('switchSynth', '1.03'), ('tonysEnhancements', '1.2'), ('VLCAccessEnhancement', '2.0.2'), ('webAccess', '2019.12.13'), ('winMag', '1.0-dev-20200219')]
This makes a lot of add-ons. And since the issue occurs only from time to time, I cannot disable add-ons one by one to find where is the problem.
That's why I was wondering if there is a way to know who has created this timer. Or if anyone else was experimenting the same issue.

Cheers,

Cyrille

----- Mail d'origine -----De: Joseph Lee <@joslee>&Agrave;: nvda-devel@...&eacute;: Fri, 21 Feb 2020 13:55:53 +0100 (CET)Objet: Re: [nvda-devel] Error: timer can only be started from the main thread

Hi,
What add-ons do you have? It is likely that an add-on isn&rsquo;t starting/queueing timers from the main thread.
Cheers,
Joseph

From: nvda-devel@groups.io <nvda-devel@groups.io> On Behalf Of Cyrille via Groups.IoSent: Friday, February 21, 2020 5:47 AMTo: nvda-devel@...: [nvda-devel] Error: timer can only be started from the main thread

Hello

IO - inputCore.executeGesture (13:18:50.682) - winInputHook (14028):Input: kb(desktop):alt+control+downArrowERROR - unhandled exception (13:18:50.702) - winInputHook (14028):Traceback (most recent call last): File "wx\core.pyc", line 3240, in <lambda>wx._core.wxAssertionError: C++ assertion "wxThread::IsMain()" failed at ..\..\src\common\timerimpl.cpp(60) in wxTimerImpl::Start(): timer can only be started from the main threadERROR - unhandled exception (13:18:50.712) - winInputHook (14028):Traceback (most recent call last): File "wx\core.pyc", line 3240, in <lambda> File "wx\core.pyc", line 3284, in __init__ File "wx\core.pyc", line 3305, in Startwx._core.wxAssertionError: C++ assertion "wxThread::IsMain()" failed at ..\..\src\common\timerimpl.cpp(60) in wxTimerImpl::Start(): timer can only be started from the main threadIO - inputCore.executeGesture (13:18:50.731) - winInputHook (14028):Input: kb(desktop):control+

Thanks.

Cheers,

Cyrille

Cyrille

Hello

At least, I succeed in reproducing such an error with a brand new NVDA config (no add-ons, no config).
I go on a webpage with a big table (e.g. https://en.numista.com/catalogue/pieces44.html).
I go in the first column of the second table (the big one). And I press control+alt+downArrow during many secons (say 5 seconds). I maintain the keys down during this time to cal many times the script.
If I do not yet succeed in reproducing the error, I make another try by pressing control+alt+upArrow during about 5 seconds. And again down during 5 seconds if it was not enough to trigger the error.

I recall that the original use case were the call of the zoom in or out scripts in Windows Magnifier add-on. In fact, when zooming in or out, I may execute the gesture many times in 1 or 2 seconds to reach the zoom factor I want.

Thus it seems that this error occurs when repeating a lot a script call.

Any idea to investigate still further?

Thanks.
Cheers,

Cyrille

-----Message d'origine-----
De : nvda-devel@groups.io <nvda-devel@groups.io> De la part de Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io
Envoyé : vendredi 21 février 2020 21:29
À : nvda-devel@groups.io
Objet : Re: [nvda-devel] Error: timer can only be started from the main thread

It occurred to me that any add on that is permanently active is likely to be one of the culprits. Perhaps this might help. I remember a similar error to this when the machine itself was doing a back up and the nvda in question did have a lot of add ons. Perhaps there is just not enough time for one of the add ons to do its stuff and it has poor sensing of when its not supposed to start the timer. Obviously, I'm a lay person at your level. However there does seem to be one heck of a lot of add ons in there to me. Does the IBM tts need to be there? Also there are a lot I do not recognise and as such they have probably not been tested by many people.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
Newsgroup monitored: alt.comp.blind-users
----- Original Message -----
From: "Cyrille via Groups.Io" <cyrille.bougot2=laposte.net@groups.io>
To: <nvda-devel@groups.io>
Sent: Friday, February 21, 2020 3:28 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda-devel] Error: timer can only be started from the main thread

Hi Joseph

Thanks for answering.

[('Access8Math', '2.3'), ('addonUpdater', '19.11'), ('audioChart', '1.2'), ('charInfo', '1.3'), ('clock', '19.12-dev'), ('columnsReview', '3.0-20191212-dev'), ('developerToolkit', '2020.2'), ('easyTableNavigator', '2.0'), ('Eloquence', '2019.10.08'), ('EnhancedPhoneticReading', '0.5a2'), ('IBMTTS', '19.10B2'), ('instantTranslate', '20191216-dev'), ('outlookExtended', '1.5-dev-20200211'), ('placeMarkers', '14.0'), ('resourceMonitor', '20.01'), ('SentenceNav', '2.7'), ('speechHistory', '2019.03.30_CB'), ('switchSynth', '1.03'), ('tonysEnhancements', '1.2'), ('VLCAccessEnhancement', '2.0.2'), ('webAccess', '2019.12.13'), ('winMag', '1.0-dev-20200219')] This makes a lot of add-ons. And since the issue occurs only from time to time, I cannot disable add-ons one by one to find where is the problem.

Cheers,

Cyrille

----- Mail d'origine -----De: Joseph Lee
<@joslee>&Agrave;: nvda-devel@...&eacute;: Fri,
21 Feb 2020 13:55:53 +0100 (CET)Objet: Re: [nvda-devel] Error: timer can only be started from the main thread

Hi,
What add-ons do you have? It is likely that an add-on isn&rsquo;t starting/queueing timers from the main thread.
Cheers,
Joseph

From: nvda-devel@groups.io <nvda-devel@groups.io> On Behalf Of Cyrille via
Groups.IoSent: Friday, February 21, 2020 5:47 AMTo:
nvda-devel@...: [nvda-devel] Error: timer can only be started from the main thread

Hello

wx._core.wxAssertionError: C++ assertion "wxThread::IsMain()" failed at
..\..\src\common\timerimpl.cpp(60) in wxTimerImpl::Start(): timer can only be started from the main thread

IO - inputCore.executeGesture (13:18:50.682) - winInputHook (14028):Input:
kb(desktop):alt+control+downArrowERROR - unhandled exception
(13:18:50.702) - winInputHook (14028):Traceback (most recent call last):
File "wx\core.pyc", line 3240, in <lambda>wx._core.wxAssertionError: C++ assertion "wxThread::IsMain()" failed at ..\..\src\common\timerimpl.cpp(60)
in wxTimerImpl::Start(): timer can only be started from the main threadERROR - unhandled exception (13:18:50.712) - winInputHook (14028):Traceback (most recent call last): File "wx\core.pyc", line 3240, in <lambda> File "wx\core.pyc", line 3284, in __init__ File "wx\core.pyc", line 3305, in Startwx._core.wxAssertionError: C++ assertion "wxThread::IsMain()" failed at ..\..\src\common\timerimpl.cpp(60) in
wxTimerImpl::Start(): timer can only be started from the main threadIO - inputCore.executeGesture (13:18:50.731) - winInputHook (14028):Input:
kb(desktop):control+

Windows Magnifier add-on was disabled but some other add-ons were enabled.
Thus, I cannot figure if this issue comes from another add-on or from NVDA itself.

I did not succeed in reproducing this issue with all add-ons disabled. But
with add-ons enabled this bug shows up too rarely to be able to reproduce it
in a reliable way. Thus I cannot guarantee that the add-ons are the cause of
this bug.

Thanks.

Cheers,

Cyrille