Topics

Debug Helper 1.0: new add-on released

Luke Davis

Good evening:

I wouldn't normally post something like this here, but this add-on is of primary interest to developers, and I know similar functionality has been requested by one or two people in the past.

I am announcing the release of the first stable version of Debug Helper. This is an add-on which is intended to help people who do a lot of work with the NVDA log. If you are trying to report problems with something you're doing, or writing an add-on, or trying to fix something, you may find it useful to be able to jump right to the spot in the log before or after the error occurred, or some important output happened.

At the press of a key (default: nvda+shift+F1), this add-on will insert a "mark line" in the NVDA log, which you can then search for in a text editor. Each mark line includes a sequential number, and can have 1 or more blank lines before/after it to aid in finding it quickly when fast-arrowing.

It is Python 2 and 3 compatible, and works in NVDA versions from 2017.3 through 2019.3.

The add-on will hopefully be on the community site soon, but for now it can be downloaded here: https://github.com/XLTechie/debugHelper/releases/download/1.0/debugHelper-1.0.nvda-addon

Full documentation, including larger usage examples: https://github.com/XLTechie/debugHelper/blob/stable/readme.md

GitHub repo (for issues/to download development versions, etc.):
https://github.com/XLTechie/debugHelper

This is a small add-on with a very specific set of use cases right now, but if you have ideas for ways it could be expanded, please contact me.

Note: I've received two reports that suggest it doesn't always install first time in some old Windows 10 versions. If this happens to you, try to install it once or twice more, which I have been told works (and please send me a log!). No reason is yet known why that might be happening.

Luke