Topics

Can nvda make a mouse user crash windows Explorer?

Brian's Mail list account

When nvda is running on a Windows 7 machine. I guess it might be an add on, but I was encountering the same issue on two machines recently, shut down nvda and the problem seems to go away. The two machines are running the latest stable of nvda.

This seems illogical to me.
Any ideas?

Pettyjohn, Chris G. (FTC)

yes, It happens to me all the time.  I reported it on Mar 29

Pettyjohn, Chris G. (FTC)

Here was my post.  You actually responded to it.
Possible Bug with 2019.1 - crashes Windows Explorer

Steps to replicate.
1. With NVDA on,  click the Windows Start button
2. When the Start Menu opens move the mouse into it like you are going to select a program to run.
3. For me, as soon as the mouse moves off the Start button and travels into the Windows Explorer window  a pop up box appears with crash error.

Ralf Kefferpuetz

This was also reported in the german NVDA mailinglist some days ago.

Here was my post.  You actually responded to it.
Possible Bug with 2019.1 - crashes Windows Explorer

Steps to replicate.
1. With NVDA on,  click the Windows Start button
2. When the Start Menu opens move the mouse into it like you are going to select a program to run.
3. For me, as soon as the mouse moves off the Start button and travels into the Windows Explorer window  a pop up box appears with crash error.

Brian's Mail list account

I never saw that but what is happening is that my computer fixer had the problem until he turned it off and now its hit our studio machine. If I use it via keyboard I seldom get any trouble. The effect also affects inside files and folders, IE copy a track from one place to another. Sometimes it will behave sometimes not.
Its irritating to my sighted friends, so I told them to turn off nvda.
Does it do this with no add ons running by the way?

This is 2019.1.1
Windows 7 64.
Its got to be something really obsscure like it jumping out of a routine in the wrong place or something.

Here was my post. You actually responded to it.
Possible Bug with 2019.1 - crashes Windows Explorer ( https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda/topic/possible_bug_with_2019_1/30822907?p=,,,20,0,0,0::recentpostdate%2Fsticky,,,20,2,680,30822907 )

Steps to replicate.
1. With NVDA on, click the Windows Start button
2. When the Start Menu opens move the mouse into it like you are going to select a program to run.
3. For me, as soon as the mouse moves off the Start button and travels into the Windows Explorer window a pop up box appears with crash error.

Brian's Mail list account

Further, I don't think it was doing it back in January, so I wonder if a windows patch may be causing a bit of code indigestion in nvda. Its annoying as I cannot get it to do it since I think you need precise mouse movements for it to happen.

Here was my post. You actually responded to it.
Possible Bug with 2019.1 - crashes Windows Explorer ( https://nvda.groups.io/g/nvda/topic/possible_bug_with_2019_1/30822907?p=,,,20,0,0,0::recentpostdate%2Fsticky,,,20,2,680,30822907 )

Steps to replicate.
1. With NVDA on, click the Windows Start button
2. When the Start Menu opens move the mouse into it like you are going to select a program to run.
3. For me, as soon as the mouse moves off the Start button and travels into the Windows Explorer window a pop up box appears with crash error.

Pettyjohn, Chris G. (FTC)

i can make windows explorer crash every time with the steps below. It only happens with mouse movement.