Topics

API reference guide for NVDA

Andy B.

Hi,

Is there an up-to-date API reference guide for addon developers? It is difficult knowing what to use and where if there isn’t a developer’s guide out there. The guide should have documentation and sample usage for all classes, methods, attributes, and properties in the NVDA API. It should also answer some difficult to understand concepts such as ‘does object.location tuple consider padding, margins, and content area in its size/dimensions?’ and ‘Does the location tuple in web objects consider the entire desktop and browser window, or only the viewport dimensions?’

Thanks for your time and effort.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Hi,

For the last few NVDA releases, I, Derek Riemer and several others provided API docs on our websites. At the moment the latest ones cannot be generated due to certain issues with recent commits.

Is there an up-to-date API reference guide for addon developers? It is difficult knowing what to use and where if there isn’t a developer’s guide out there. The guide should have documentation and sample usage for all classes, methods, attributes, and properties in the NVDA API. It should also answer some difficult to understand concepts such as ‘does object.location tuple consider padding, margins, and content area in its size/dimensions?’ and ‘Does the location tuple in web objects consider the entire desktop and browser window, or only the viewport dimensions?’

Thanks for your time and effort.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Andy B.

How does a new addon developer know what to use and when?

[...]

Typically, I and others recommend people to learn Python first, but since some did learn Python and are proficient at it, we usually recommend reading the NVDA development guide, and the add-on development guide for certain tasks not covered in the NVDA dev guide.

I do realize that this is the same answer you may have received on add-ons list, which demonstrates that we may need to think critically about the current state of API documentation and surrounding literature.

[...]

Hi again,

I read the addons developer guide for 19.1.1 and the design/internals documents for NVDA itself. I know Python well enough to build things. However, the lack of an NVDA API reference guide gets new addon developers stuck. The developer guides are good enough to get people started with simple things, but once someone gets past that, there is no more guidance. We need to come up with something other than experimenting around with API calls because it is a large waste of time to a point. I would like to continue talking about this problem. Where should we continue?

[...]

Regarding API docs, that’s something I agree. At the moment, after introduction of abstract methods and some more recent commits in 2019.1 development cycle, it isn’t possible to build API docs from source code, something NV Access people were notified.

As for discussing this, I think this list would be fine.

[...]

Hopefully, before 2019.2 comes out, but can’t guarantee it all the way.

[...]

What should I do in the meantime?

[...]

In the meantime, you can view the 2018.4 API docs located on my website at:

https://www.josephsl.net/files/nvdadocs/dev/

Although it is not that recent, it is quite comparable to current API set we’ve got.

[...]

Larry Wang

Just look into source code,the API doc does not provide much information.

On 2019/5/25 10:00, Andy B. wrote:

[...]

I think this advice would work for intermediate to advanced users, but not necessarily for beginners. Beginners may need to know certain top-level info about classes, methods, and example usage so they can experiment with things here and there.

On 2019/5/25 10:00, Andy B. wrote:

[...]

True. I am not a beginner to programming since I have a B.S. in the matter. However, no useful API reference for a completely unfamiliar API doesn’t lend help to anyone unless they’ve already used it for quite a while.

On 2019/5/25 10:00, Andy B. wrote:

[...]

DaVid

Yes, good api documentation is lacking in NVDA I think. But the code
usually is easy to read and learn things. Also you can see another
add-ons code to get examples.
When I used NVDA first times many years ago... I quickly developed a
synth driver, I learned python by developing it, I came from C. I
wasn't an expert (just a high school teenager) and I'm not an expert
yet.
Also I'm not good in english language, another barrier for me.
Another screen readers have good documentation, but you can't see
their source code. Well commented and clean Source code is better than
documentation, ideally we should have both... But NVDA is free, and
the developers have their priorities.
The world is not perfect, but I just saying that develop for NVDA is
easy even for unexperienced developers.

When I am developing an add-on, I usually look at the related code for
my add-on. If I need to work with the keyboard then keyboardHandler,
gestures, ETC... If need to work with audio then read nvwave, tones,
ETC...
If I need to implement a COM interface I can see examples already in
the NVDA code. The same for MSAA, IA2, UIA, IPC...

Load NVDA in eclipse is a good way to read the code easily because you
can jump between code instructions. But if you don't want to use
eclipse or another ide, you can use windows explorer, notepad++ and
files finder to look for a specific code.
NVDA has a good code structure.

And the last resource, you can ask here and in another NVDA development lists.

Regards,
DaVid.

Jim Homme

Hi Joseph,

Is the documentation on your site different from what I would get if I followed the instructions to get the NVDA documentation?

Thanks.

Jim

Jim Homme

Digital Accessibility

Bender Consulting Services

412-787-8567

https://www.benderconsult.com/our%20services/hightest-accessible-technology-solutions

[...]

It is the same set of docs, except it is for 2018.4.