Topics

Alpha and Visual Studio doesn't rock well

Karl-Otto Rosenqvist

Hi!
I've experienced that NVDA alpha snapshots have made my life in Visual Studio 2019 harder a while now. Not sure for how long but a couple of weeks perhaps. I checked the new setting for selective UIA messages and it was true.
I installed NVDA 2020.2 and it was noticeable quicker in Visual Studio.

What is going on? Is there anything I can check and report back?

Cheers

Karl-Otto
--
Karl-Otto Rosenqvist
MAWINGU

Hello Karl-Otto,

We changed the way how InteliSense results are read. Are you only experiencing slow down with IntelliSense, or also in other areas?

Regards,

Leonard

On 2-10-2020 13:47, Karl-Otto Rosenqvist wrote:
Hi!
I've experienced that NVDA alpha snapshots have made my life in Visual Studio 2019 harder a while now. Not sure for how long but a couple of weeks perhaps. I checked the new setting for selective UIA messages and it was true.
I installed NVDA 2020.2 and it was noticeable quicker in Visual Studio.

What is going on? Is there anything I can check and report back?

Cheers

Karl-Otto

Karl-Otto Rosenqvist

Hi!
I’m experiencing a general slowdown but especially when searching in the source editor. I often navigate by searching in the source and right now if I search for something and press Escape to dismiss the Find window it takes up to 10 seconds to get NVDA to speak the current line. I move to the previous line and down again but it’s quiet or says ”Blank” (Tom in Swedish) as if there’s nothing on the line.

If an uncaught exception occurs it’s almost impossible to get NVDA to read it. My vision is quite bad so it can be difficult to distinguish the exception window from the rest of the IDE so the slow response makes it hard to know if I’ve managed to click in the exception message text box. Are there someway to focus such a window? A key combination perhaps? I’ve found where to assign keyboard shortcuts so now I can press Ctrl + Shift + 4 two times to set focus on the build combo so I can change between debug and release.

I’ll install NVDA 2020.2 on my machine here at home too and do some development to check the performance difference.

Kind regards

Karl-Otto
MAWINGU
0701-75 98 56
https://mawingu.se
Orgnr: 750804-3937

2 okt. 2020 kl. 19:06 skrev Leonard de Ruijter <alderuijter@...>:

Hello Karl-Otto,

We changed the way how InteliSense results are read. Are you only experiencing slow down with IntelliSense, or also in other areas?

Regards,

Leonard

On 2-10-2020 13:47, Karl-Otto Rosenqvist wrote:
Hi!
I've experienced that NVDA alpha snapshots have made my life in Visual Studio 2019 harder a while now. Not sure for how long but a couple of weeks perhaps. I checked the new setting for selective UIA messages and it was true.
I installed NVDA 2020.2 and it was noticeable quicker in Visual Studio.

What is going on? Is there anything I can check and report back?

Cheers

Karl-Otto

Hello Karl-Otto,

In what language are you working with Visual Studio?

There is a way to get to the several windows using the keybord. Let me report that to you on monday.

Regards,

Leonard

On 2-10-2020 21:08, Karl-Otto Rosenqvist wrote:
[...]

C#, mainly WinForms and web development in .NET Core.

Another thing I¨m experiencing is that the mouse tracking doesn¨t understand that I¨ve scaled my screen to 200% so it reports stuff in the WinForms designer as they should have been when at 100% scale. There¨s a registry key you can set to force the WinForms designer to work correctly when using a high dpi screen at a scale greater

Karl-Otto Rosenqvistthan 100%. Visual Studio complains that the WPF and UWP designers might display incorrectly but that¨s not a problem for me. The following registry keys are set on my machines:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\AppCompatFlags\Layers]
@=""
"C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Visual Studio\\2017\\Community\\Common7\\IDE\\devenv.exe"="DPIUNAWARE"
"C:\\Program Files (x86)\\Microsoft Visual Studio\\2019\\Community\\Common7\\IDE\\devenv.exe"="DPIUNAWARE"

I don¨t know if it¨s worth looking at due to the fact that there are quite few visually impaired developers. Even if Microsoft have made it possible to continue to develop WinForms apps from .NET Core 3.0 it¨s probably an even smaller group.

Regards

Karl-Otto

MAWINGU
Orgnr: 750804-3937
+46 (0)701 75 98 56
karl-otto@...

<https://groups.io/g/nvda-devel/leave/defanged>
<https://groups.io/g/nvda-devel/leave/defanged>
<https://groups.io/g/nvda-devel/leave/defanged>

Hello Karl-Otto.

As long as you hold the control key, you should be able to apply the following key sequence.

* Press ctrl+tab

* Press ctrl+left arrow

* Now press ctrl+tab until you've reached the desired tool window, e.g. the locals, exception settings, intermediate window, etc.

Regards,

Leonard

On 03/10/2020 19:05, Karl-Otto Rosenqvist wrote:
[...]

Thanks for that information. It makes life a bit easier but you don’t have the thrown exception as a tool window, it’s a kind of notice.

I saw that NVDA 2020.3 have been released and I’d like to know if the performance issue that we talked about is present in 2020.3 as in the alpha channel? If so, I’ll keep 2020.2 until the alpha have become snappier again. It’s a nightmare when you resolve an error and Visual Studio starts to compile in the background. It takes forever to get NVDA to speak the remaining errors. 2020.2 is better and usable.

Kind regards

Karl-Otto
MAWINGU
0701-75 98 56
https://mawingu.se
Orgnr: 750804-3937

5 okt. 2020 kl. 08:24 skrev Leonard de Ruijter <@leonardder>:

[...]

Hey,

Could you please open an issue on Github for this? That makes it easier to track progress.

Regards,
Leonard

Op 13 okt. 2020 om 15:39 heeft Karl-Otto Rosenqvist <Karl-otto@...> het volgende geschreven:

[...]

Hi Leonard!
I don’t know why but I installed NVDA 2020.3 and found that it’s significantlly faster in Visual Studio than NVDA 2020.2 and that made my life much smoother!

I haven’t installed the alpha again because I haven’t had the time to expereiment right now.
Therefore I haven’t opened any issue.

Kind regards

Karl-Otto
MAWINGU
0701-75 98 56
https://mawingu.se
Orgnr: 750804-3937

13 okt. 2020 kl. 16:34 skrev Leonard de Ruijter <@leonardder>:

[...]

Dear Karl-Otto,

Do you have the "Enable selective registration for UI Automation events and property changes" option enabled in NVDA"s advanced settings? If so, that probably clarifies the performance improvements you're experiencing.

In Alpha however, changes have been made to how IntelliSense reads, NVDA should no longer read the complete line before reading the suggestion. However, it would be very helpful to know whether this bugs for you still, even when selective event registration is turned on.

Regards,

Leonard

On 21/10/2020 08:22, Karl-Otto Rosenqvist wrote:
[...]

I jumped on the alpha band wagon again. I already had the UIA Selective option enabled when running alpha and now when I installed the latest alpha it got more sluggissh again. I suppose it can be related to how the alpha is built, with debug info perhaps? I feel the sluggishness especially when performing a search in the code editor and dismiss the window with Escape. It takes at least a handful seconds before NVDA really knows what's on the current line. This is quite annoying and disappeared in the released 2020.3 and that's why I guess it has something with the build to do.

Anyway, yes the intellisense seems to work better the way you describe. Sometimes it slips and reads the whole or parts of the line but I guess that it can be related to the sluggishness I described above and will be better in a release build.

I'll try to stay on the alpha for now and if there's any changes related to Visual Studio you want me to test just let me know in this thread or directly to my e-mail it that's relevant.

Kind regards

Karl-Otto

Karl-Otto Rosenqvist
MAWINGU
Orgnr: 750804-3937
+46 (0)701 75 98 56
karl-otto@...

Den 2020-10-21 kl. 09:28, skrev Leonard de Ruijter:

[...]

Thanks for sharing your findings. What happens if you run NVDA with Add-ons disabled?
I'm running Alpha every day and don't experience the sluggishness you describe.

Regards,
Leonard

Op 27 okt. 2020 om 20:54 heeft Karl-Otto Rosenqvist <Karl-otto@...> het volgende geschreven:

[...]

I disabled all add-ons but with no difference in performance. I don't know if the problem is because I'm running Windows on Macs.
It have always been performance difficulties with running screen readers on Macs running Windows. Perhaps it¨s the graphics adapters that isn't up to par. I ran Windows 7 on a Macmini and ZoomText and later also JAWS. I purchased a MacBook Pro in 2017 and and in late 2018 it was horrible until I found NVDA. The MacBook Pro that was ready for recycling became a new computer. I purchased an iMac in december 2018 that I use for developing at home. It has 32 GB RAM so that isn't the problem. At work I switched from a Dell desktop computer to a new Macmini so I'm quite Macified. The reason is that hte iMac has a brightness of 500 nits and the Macmini is hooked up to a LG Ultra Fine 4k with the same brightness. It's impossible to find any monitors for PC with that kind of brightness and it has been a real lifechanger for me.

The lag I'm experiencing with the alpha I ran between 2020.2 and 2020.3 is the same as in the latest alphas but isn't present in the released 2020.3.
Are there some debug logging or similar in the alphas that might impact the performance? Perhaps there are some calls that doesn't rock with my Macs.

Cheers!

Karl-Otto

Karl-Otto Rosenqvist
MAWINGU
Orgnr: 750804-3937
+46 (0)701 75 98 56
karl-otto@...

Den 2020-10-28 kl. 08:16, skrev Leonard de Ruijter:

[...]

Thanks for explaining this all.

I created a build of Alpha that should behave like release. You can download it at https://ci.appveyor.com/api/buildjobs/c8y0c70y0mjislyi/artifacts/output%2Fnvda_try-release-visualStudio-21286%2C71c2c419.exe

Let me know how this works.

Regards,

Leonard

On 01/11/2020 22:36, Karl-Otto Rosenqvist wrote:
[...]

Hi again!
I installed the test version on both my iMac at home and on my Macmini at work. The lag I’m talking about is less but still present.
I don’t know if you can see on a video but you can absolutely hear what I’m talking about in this video:

What’s happening in the video?
1. I move the cursor up and down in the source editor and you can hear that it speaks nice and swiftely.
2. I press Ctrl + Home to jump to the beginning of the file and then Ctrl + F to search for a comment I made in the code.
3. Visual Studio makes an instant search and finds the text so I press Escape to dismiss the Find window.
4. I move up and down in the source and you can hear that it speaks ”Tom”, ”Empty” in Swedish, for a handful of seconds before NVDA catches up and speaks the actual text on the lines.

If you want I can create a similar video with NVDA 2020.3 to see the difference.

Kind regards

Karl-Otto
MAWINGU
0701-75 98 56
https://mawingu.se
Orgnr: 750804-3937

5 okt. 2020 kl. 08:24 skrev Leonard de Ruijter <alderuijter@...>:
[...]

Thank you, Karl-Otto,

I will see whether I can provide additional try builds to try.

Regards,

Leonard

On 4-11-2020 16:35, Karl-Otto Rosenqvist wrote:
[...]

Here is a new try build that disables the IntelliSense change.

https://ci.appveyor.com/api/buildjobs/0db6sgy07y5868lh/artifacts/output%2Fnvda_try-release-visualStudio-21302%2Cc9845023.exe

Could you report back whether this changes anything? If not, I'll provide another build.

Regards,

Leonard

On 04/11/2020 16:35, Karl-Otto Rosenqvist wrote:
[...]

I tried it tonight but the performance gain was minimal. I'll try it at work tomorrow.
One thing that I noted is that when pressing Alt, V, X and press Enter to bring up the toolbox NVDA is quite quiet. It takes a little while for it to catch up.

Before installing this try build I installed the 2020.3 to see the difference in performance and it was indisputable. 2020.3 is much much snappier when doing the Find-test I sent you and that also means that it's overall snappier in Visual Studio.

Cheers!

Karl-Otto

Karl-Otto Rosenqvist
MAWINGU
Orgnr: 750804-3937
0701- 75 98 56
karl-otto@...
https://mawingu.se

https://www.dropbox.com/s/b7eeoqk346t7816/NVDA_Visual_Studio_Lag_after_search.mov?dl=0 <https://www.dropbox.com/s/b7eeoqk346t7816/NVDA_Visual_Studio_Lag_after_search.mov?dl=0>

2 nov. 2020 kl. 09:55 skrev Leonard de Ruijter <@leonardder>:

[...]

Andy B.

How do you get control locations in the designer with NVDA? I haven't been able to figure that one out. Someone told me to try reading the status bar, but NVDA+Shift+END results in NVDA saying, 'no status bar found.'.

<@leonardder>:

[...]

Hi Andy!
My experience is that you are better off with a little bit of vision because it’s hard to get the overview.

With that said I use the property inspector. When a control is selected you press F4 to focus the property inspector. It has three parts.

- A grid with two columns, name and value.
- A toolbar with buttons that controls how properties and events are shown.
- A combobox containing all the controls of and including the form itself.

It’s the list of properties That’ gains focus when you press 4. By pressing Shift + Tab you reach the other two parts.
When the toolbar has focus you move between the buttons with left and right arrow and press the buttons with space bar.
The controls combobox is a normal combo that you expand with Alt + down arrow.

You can change the property values by typing text if it’s a string, bool, int, double and some enum values. You can also press F4 again to open the editor for that type of property. In case of a string you get a window where you can type text and press Enter to create a line break. You dismiss this window by pressing F4 again.

The properties you’re looking for is Location and Size. When you find them NVDA will read both the x, y, width and height values respectively. If you press right arrow you will expand the property so you Get two new rows in the list with x and y for the Location property and Width and Height for the Size property.

You bring the focus back to the designer by pressing Escape. The current selected control will still be the selected control. If you press Escape again you go to its parent and you can repeat this until you’re at the top level and the form is the selected control.
One thing that I just found out two weeks agou is that you can press Tab and Shift + Tab to select the next and prior control so you don’t need to Fiddle around with the mouse as much. This also reveals incorrect tab order because the controls are selected in their tab order. This have made it much easier for me to fix tab order issues.

In the designer you move controls around with the arrow keys. If you Hold down Ctrl and press an arrow key the control will take a jump to the closest aligned position so it’s easier to get stuff aligned. If you can see it appears a line in the designer that shows the alignment. You can align textboxes, buttons and such so their texts and captions are at the same baseline.

Just poke around and you’ll get the hang of it.

Good luck!

Karl-Otto
MAWINGU
0701-75 98 56