Topics

Add Shift+Enter and Shift+numpadEnter for announcing previous cell in the same column in Excel

Abdel

Hi dear developers of NVDA,

I come back with a request I had already made in the past concerning the announcement of the current cell with Excel.

In principle, as the enter and numpadEnter keys announce the next cell in the same column, the shift+enter and shift+numpadEnter keys should announce the previous cell.

In fact, moving to previous or next cell is integrated by default in Excel, NVDA should just announce the current cell with each move.

I think it should be simple enough to implement, just add these 2 gestures in the 'NVDAObjects.window.excel.py' module, in the ExcelWorksheet class and more particularly, in the gestures parameter of the scriptHandler.script decorator.

I just created for that, it's available here :

https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/pull/9492

Thank you for integrating this change into a future version of NVDA.

Best regards,
Abdel.

Abdel

Hi again,

I've just recreated my Pull Request, it's available here:

https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/pull/9495

Thanks to whoever would like to review it.

Kind regards,
Abdel.

Le 15/04/2019 à 19:27, Abdel a écrit :
[...]

Jim Homme

Hi,
Both keys are a key conflict with Excel. Also, the changes I am thinking about with Excel would have more things speaking with the key we already have, NVDA+TAB. Instead of the current cell only, I would have sheet name, column and row info, and current cell.

Jim

==========
Jim Homme
Digital Accessibility
Bender Consulting Services
412-787-8567
https://www.benderconsult.com/our%20services/hightest-accessible-technology-solutions

[...]

Rui Fontes

Excuse me, but what Abdel wants is NVDA announcing the new cell where the focus go when pressing Shift+Enter...
Excel moves to the previous cell, but NVDA do not move the focus neither announces the new cell...

Rui Fontes

Às 18:41 de 15/04/2019, Jim Homme escreveu:

[...]

Hi Jim, Ruiz and all,

@Jim:

If you look at the module 'NVDAObjects.window.excel.py', in the ExcelWorksheet class and more particularly, in the gestures parameter of the scriptHandler.script decorator, you will see that almost all keyboard shortcuts to change the selection are present.

tab, shift+tab, enter, and so on...

NVDA then handle the arrival on the new cell reached by announcing it.

As shift + enter and shift + numpadEnter are missing in this list, the announcement is not made when using these 2 keys.

I just recreated the Pull Request, for the following reason:

With Pull Request 9492 and 9495, I had 22 changes on 22 lines because my old text editor was modifying line breaks in some lines, which is considered a change by git diff.

In principle, git diff had to give me 2 changes only, because I only added 2 lines.

So I decided to recreate the PR, this time using NotepadPlusPlus, and the problem does not arise anymore.

Here is the new and last Pull Request 9497 on this subject:

https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/pull/9497

Thanks in advance to the developer who would like to review it.

Kind regards,
Abdel.

Le 16/04/2019 à 02:39, Rui Fontes a écrit :
[...]

I'm sorry I was unclear with what I said. I was trying to say that Excel uses these keys for its purposes. Am I missing something?

Thanks.

Jim

==========
[...]

I have my Excel set up so that when I press Enter, the focus stays in the same cell. This way, I have to press arrow keys if I want to go to a new cell.

Jim

==========

You wrote :

I was trying to say that Excel uses these keys for its purposes. Am I missing something?

In fact, these keys that Excel uses continue to do their job, NVDA just adds the ability to announce the cell that was reached once one of these keys was used.

When you press Enter, depending on the configuration you have chosen in Excel, NVDA tells you the cell you have reached, which can be the down cell, the current cell, or the up cell.

It is thanks to the presence of the Enter key in the selection change gestures used by NVDA that I described in my previous email.

If you remove this key from this list, Excel will still do its job, but NVDA will not announce anything at all.

That's why in the Pull Request, I added the Shift + Enter and Shift + numpadEnter gestures, so that NVDA does not remain silent when Excel moves the focus to the up cell.

I hope my explanation has been clear enough.

Thanks.

Kind regards,
Abdel.

Le 16/04/2019 à 14:42, Jim Homme a écrit :
[...]

Hi Abdul,
Sorry for not understanding.

Jim

[...]

Try to explain what is not clear to you, I will try to clarify it.

You just have to understand that NVDA needs to know which key has been pressed in a cell selection change in Excel, to be able to render the information to the user.

Thanks.

Kind regards,
Abdel.