Topics

Running win10 without a monitor causes window size to become small?

Brian's Mail list account

Actually the main problem for me in updating to 10, is that it screws up special software that windows 10 removes and trashes all the data. it then needs manual configuration again which is a pain in the rear. I personally feel that you should be able to tell windows 10s bi yearly updates to leave some software no matter what it is, alone even if it is a modified version of an older Microsoft product like word, Outlook Express or a legacy bespoke sound editor for talking newspapers. Yes all of these can run in 10, but it never lets you decide to keep them.
Now we have Edge for 7, then this is how it stays till something big happens. Instead I may buy a win 10 machine for those times when I need it.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
Newsgroup monitored: alt.comp.blind-users

----- Original Message -----
To: <nvda-devel@groups.io>
Sent: Tuesday, May 19, 2020 3:42 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda-devel] Running win10 without a monitor causes window size to become small?

On Tue, 19 May 2020, Rich Caloggero wrote:

will be using my win7 laptop goind forward, but I also know that it's a bit risky since win7 is no longer being updated.
Out of curiocity: why not update it? I have been told that upgrading to win 10 for free is still possible. I can't confirm that, but at least in the days right after the D Date for Win 7, I know it was.

Luke

Brian's Mail list account

I hope not since I never have a monitor on my machines since its just clutter.
I'd have thought one could over ride it somehow by settings? I'm using 7 too.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
Newsgroup monitored: alt.comp.blind-users

----- Original Message -----
To: <nvda-devel@groups.io>
Sent: Tuesday, May 19, 2020 2:50 PM
Subject: [nvda-devel] Running win10 without a monitor causes window size to become small?

I'm a website evaluator for my day job and I was testing on my win10 machine and noticed that the site I was testing thought I was on a small screen. I tried with three different browsers with same results, so seems that windows 10 is telling the browser that I have a very small window size causing the site to switch into mobile mode.

Can anyone else confirm this? If this is indeed what is happening, is there a solution? I have no space for a monitor so cannot use one on this machine. I will be using my win7 laptop goind forward, but I also know that it's a bit risky since win7 is no longer being updated.

Thanx for any info.
-- Rich

--
-- Rich

David Csercsics

Yes, this probably has to do with the fact that Windows 10 when it doesn't have a monitor connected will set your video card to the maximum resolution it supports. At least that seems to be the case here since the recommended resolution for this machine is 2048x1536. If I understand things, that means you'd have really small icons and windows and things, but a lot of them. You'd probably have to check that and set it manually. The scaling options may have an effect as well, I know next to nothing about graphics. So I have no idea what you could set it to, Or if this is evenĀ  a problem. I get quite a few things that tell me they're off screen when I use object navigation and I don't know if this is related to no connected monitor as well.

Luke Davis

On Tue, 19 May 2020, Rich Caloggero wrote:

will be using my win7 laptop goind forward, but I also know that it's a bit risky since win7 is no longer being updated.
Out of curiocity: why not update it? I have been told that upgrading to win 10 for free is still possible. I can't confirm that, but at least in the days right after the D Date for Win 7, I know it was.

Luke

Hey Rich,

I also have a system without a monitor here. You should be able to set the display resolution in the Windows 10 display settings. I recently changed my resolution from 1024x768 to 1920x1080 to add some virtual space. May be that can help you as well.

Regards,

Leonard

On 19/05/2020 15:50, Rich Caloggero wrote:
I'm a website evaluator for my day job and I was testing on my win10 machine and noticed that the site I was testing thought I was on a small screen. I tried with three different browsers with same results, so seems that windows 10 is telling the browser that I have a very small window size causing the site to switch into mobile mode.

Can anyone else confirm this? If this is indeed what is happening, is there a solution? I have no space for a monitor so cannot use one on this machine. I will be using my win7 laptop goind forward, but I also know that it's a bit risky since win7 is no longer being updated.

Thanx for any info.
-- Rich

Rich Caloggero

Thanx for any info.
-- Rich

--
-- Rich