Topics

building accessible user interface with python #3030-advice

Toni Barth

Am 13.04.2020 um 12:36 schrieb UMIT ERDEM Yigitoglu:
Thank you to everyone,
sean, I was just thinking about what you said about labelling. I have read some introductory material on Pqt5 but there is not much information on labelling or other possible accessibility features on them. for example QLabel("hello") commend create a text "hello on the application but I can not reach it. should ı go through those introductory material and wait for more advance subjects to learn them or is there more accessibility oriented material you can recommend to me?  in short how did you learn gui tools?

Labels aren't ment to be navigated to usually. Labels are ment to be used in conjunction with other widgets to show what the widget is all about. For example, if you place a multi-line edit on the screen, even for sighted people, that widget is just a box with a cursor in it. By placing a label above or to the left of the box with the text 'Enter your program code here', sighted people will know what the edit is actually ment to do. The same goes for screen reading software. Whenever you place a widget and navigate to it with screen reading software like NVDA, this software will try to find a label which is positioned as closely to this widget as possible. I don't know if the order of creation programatically or the visual appearance is actually important here, but you'll be on the safe side if you try to keep both as close as possible. If a label is actually found, NVDA will automatically show the text displayed in the label as information when tabbing to the related widget.

You can try to strengthen the relationship between label and widget in Qt5 by using the buddy functionality, e.g. add the label as a buddy to the widget (widget.setBuddy(label)). I don't know if this is actually related in any way or another, but doing it didn't hurt my projects written with the help of PyQt5 yet.

Best Regards.

Toni Barth

UMIT ERDEM Yigitoglu

Thank you to everyone,
sean, I was just thinking about what you said about labelling. I have read some introductory material on Pqt5 but there is not much information on labelling or other possible accessibility features on them. for example QLabel("hello") commend create a text "hello on the application but I can not reach it. should ı go through those introductory material and wait for more advance subjects to learn them or is there more accessibility oriented material you can recommend to me?  in short how did you learn gui tools?

Sean

The accessibility of any application is related to the application's own APIs.

Nothing you can do with NVDA.

But if you write the programming language, library, UI kit and things you use here, we can share our experience.

For example, if you are using wxPython, don't forget to add text labels before components.

Sean

I’m student and programmer. I write often Python, sometimes Go and rare C++.
I can understand Turkish and English.

Kimden: nvda-devel@groups.io <nvda-devel@groups.io> Yerine UMIT ERDEM Yigitoglu
Tarih: Saturday, April 4, 2020 10:18 AM
Kime: nvda-devel@groups.io
Konu: [nvda-devel] building accessible user interface with python #3030-advice

Hello,
I'm trying to jump to programming world with python.
I'm now in a stage where I am trying to learn about user interface "events models views). My question is where can ı find resources to make my UI accessible. I'm currently trying to use tkinter but non of my labels, messages are accessible with nvda.
I have tried web for some information but it is very limited.
I would appriciate any advice on how to continue and resource reccomandations.
Best regards

Travis Siegel

The python QT5 library makes accessible GUIs? That's interesting, because I've never been able to get QT5 to do anything useful over the years in my various attempts. I finally gave up, and just use the windows api calls to build my gui programs. It's a bit of a hassle, but it gets the job done.
This is interesting news, I'll have to do some playing around now.
Thanks for the info.

Toni Barth

Hi,

Am 04.04.2020 um 19:18 schrieb UMIT ERDEM Yigitoglu:
Hello,
I'm trying to jump to programming world with python.
I'm now in a stage where I am trying to learn about user interface "events models views). My question is where can ı find resources to make my UI accessible. I'm currently trying to use tkinter but non of my labels, messages are accessible with nvda.
I have tried web for some information but it is very limited.

I myself noticed that Tkinter doesn't seem to be accessible. For developing accessible UIs, stick with WxPython, which can get a bit tricky sometimes, or PyQt5, which is pretty easy to work with.

Best Regards.

Toni