Topics

Having NVDA interrupt itself using aria-live updates

Hi,

NVDA Controller is meant for use by apps, as it comes in a DLL.

Jamie, any ideas?

Cheers,

Joseph

From: nvda-devel@groups.io <nvda-devel@groups.io> On Behalf Of Sean Mealin
Sent: Saturday, March 28, 2020 9:40 AM
To: nvda-devel@groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda-devel] Having NVDA interrupt itself using aria-live updates

I don't know of any way to use the NVDA controller client from Javascript running within a web browser unfortunately.

Sean

On Fri, Mar 27, 2020 at 7:47 PM Christopher Pross <chpross42@...> wrote:

A short question, do you able to use the nvda-controler-client? So, maybe, you could use there the speech fuction directly and then use bool interoupt = true, for the first parameter to speak, you could for easy stop, use a emty string.

But in general javascript access to nvda, I don't know any way to access this function of nvda-controller. I don't know how javascript is sending text to the screenreader, if the way, is known, we could find a way. Maybe it is easier as we thing.

Am 28.03.2020 um 00:18 schrieb Sean Mealin:

Is there any other way to push text to NVDA from javascript that will have it interrupt speech?

Thanks

Sean

On Fri, Mar 27, 2020 at 3:50 AM Bill Dengler <codeofdusk@...> wrote:

See https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/pull/10622

Although I think this might just be for UIA, not ARIA.

Bill

Sent: 26 March 2020 23:16
Subject: [nvda-devel] Having NVDA interrupt itself using aria-live updates

Hi all,

I’m working on a web game where the user is controlling things with a gamepad.  To give feedback, I’m updating a div that NVDA should read out.

The problem that I’m having is no matter the aria-live setting I use, NVDA does not interrupt itself.  So, if the user is listening to a message, and presses a button to confirm an action, I want NVDA to immediately speak a new message rather than queueing it up after the current message.  If the user is using a keyboard, this isn’t a problem because the keypress interrupts the current message and NVDA speaks the new message.  But since the primary input device is a gamepad, NVDA doesn’t register a gamepad button in the same way as a keyboard button.

I thought using aria-live = assertive would accomplish my goal, but no luck.  I’ve tried every combination of roll (status, alert, etc.) and aria-live (polite and assertive) that I can think of.

I’m using NVDA 2019.3.1 and Chrome 80.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Sean

Sean Mealin

I don't know of any way to use the NVDA controller client from Javascript running within a web browser unfortunately.

Sean

On Fri, Mar 27, 2020 at 7:47 PM Christopher Pross <chpross42@...> wrote:

A short question, do you able to use the nvda-controler-client? So, maybe, you could use there the speech fuction directly and then use bool interoupt = true, for the first parameter to speak, you could for easy stop, use a emty string.

But in general javascript access to nvda, I don't know any way to access this function of nvda-controller. I don't know how javascript is sending text to the screenreader, if the way, is known, we could find a way. Maybe it is easier as we thing.

Is there any other way to push text to NVDA from javascript that will have it interrupt speech?

Thanks

Sean

Bill

Hi all,

I’m working on a web game where the user is controlling things with a gamepad.  To give feedback, I’m updating a div that NVDA should read out.

The problem that I’m having is no matter the aria-live setting I use, NVDA does not interrupt itself.  So, if the user is listening to a message, and presses a button to confirm an action, I want NVDA to immediately speak a new message rather than queueing it up after the current message.  If the user is using a keyboard, this isn’t a problem because the keypress interrupts the current message and NVDA speaks the new message.  But since the primary input device is a gamepad, NVDA doesn’t register a gamepad button in the same way as a keyboard button.

I thought using aria-live = assertive would accomplish my goal, but no luck.  I’ve tried every combination of roll (status, alert, etc.) and aria-live (polite and assertive) that I can think of.

Sean

Christopher Pross

Thanks

Sean

Bill

Hi all,

Sean

Sean Mealin

Thanks

Sean

Bill

Hi all,

Sean

Bill Dengler

Bill

Hi all,

Sean

Sean Mealin

Hi all,

Sean