From: nvda-devel@groups.io On Behalf Of Marlon Brandão de Sousa
Sent: Saturday, 8 February 2020 12:09 PM
To: nvda-devel@groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda-devel] NVDA crashes if non-ASCII characters are in the path

Reef,

Shouldn't this be a standard behavior in any case? On startup, if for whatever reason (not only for this specific case, but for all cases), if something goes wrong trying to use a synthesizer, then all other available ones should be tried in sequence until one of them works and, if all of them fail, a recorded message should be played stating that NVDA can't use the installed synthesizers?

This would make the screen reader very resilient because failing to use a synthesizer is one of the conditions that let users in a very vulnerable situation.

Not asking you to do anything now, just checking if this thought makes sense.

On 06/02/2020 07:06, Reef Turner wrote:
One possible work-around (that I don't like very much) would be to detect the crash conditions on start up (espeak synth, path with non-ASCII), warn the user and set a different synth.