Topics

Add-on Updater 18.12.2 released, manual update recommended, Python 3 readiness #addonrelease

joseph.lee22590@...

Hi all,

For those on development list, don’t worry about the hashtag.

I’m delighted to announce immediate release of Add-on Updater 18.12.2. In addition to localization updates, today’s update fixes an outstanding issue when installed on latest NVDA alpha builds, namely inability to download updates.

Also, I’m happy to announce that Add-on Updater is Python 3 ready. Although there are things to be done here and there, for the most part, it’ll run under Python 3 version of NVDA. At the same time, I have updated last tested version flag so you won’t have to sorry about running to issues until NVDA 2019.3.

IMPORTANT: Add-on Updater 18.12.x is the last series to run on NVDA 2018.2. Starting from version 19.01, NVDA 2018.4 will be required.

For consideration for people using alpha snapshots and found themselves unable to update add-ons, I’ll be asking those on alpha snapshots to manually apply today’s build. For those using 2018.3.x and 2018.4 betas, you can go ahead and check for add-on updates.

The manual download link is:

https://addons.nvda-project.org/files/get.php?file=nvda3208

Leonard de Ruijter <alderuijter@...>

Hey Joseph,

You wrote:

At the same time, I have updated last tested version flag so you won’t have to sorry about running to issues until NVDA 2019.3.

I guess this is actually violating the whole idea behind add-on versioning. If we start handing out add-ons with the last tested flag set to a version of NVDA that is not even in development, this will invite people to produce add-ons with the flag set to 2028.3, in order to prevent NVDA from complaining about compatibility.

Especially with a project like add-on updater, I prefer the last tested version flag to be set to the current development version of NVDA, namely 2019.1

Regards,

Leonard

joseph.lee22590@...

Hi,

On the surface, the specs is right in that I should not extend compatibility flags indefinitely. However, the flip side is that it gives some of us time to think about what could happen with NVDA in the future and could serve as a way for reminding us that we need to revisit compatibility in say, a release prior to the version we specify. Because of this, I consciously do not and will not extend last tested version flag indefinitely – I plan to limit compatibility range to six months to a year.