From: nvda-addons@...5458... <nvda-addons@...5458...> On Behalf Of Joseph Lee
Sent: Thursday, November 22, 2018 11:56 AM
To: 'NVDA screen reader development' <nvda-devel@...3851...sourceforge.net>
Subject: [nvda-addons] Joseph Lee's add-ons: various add-ons to be updated in the next few days #AddonRelease

Hi all,

First, for those in United States, hope you’re enjoying your Thanksgiving.

In the next few days, I’ll be releasing major and maintenance versions of various add-ons. These updates will prepare various add-ons for future NvDA releases, specifically making them compatible with minimum NVDA version checks (and in case of at least three add-ons, requiring more recent Windows releases).

In order to reduce possible bandwidth burden on add-on update server, the following add-on updates will roll out in phases:

  • November 22nd: Easy Table Navigator 1.2, Enhanced Touch Gestures 18.12, Golden Cursor 3.3, GoldWave 18.12 (these will hit the air in a few hours).
  • November 23rd: Object Location Tones 18.12, ObjPad 18.12, Resource Monitor 18.12, Unicode Braille Input 2.10 (EOL from Joseph).
  • November 27th: Add-on Updater 18.12, SystrayList 3.1 (no, not Python 3 transition version yet), Virtual Review 2.3.
  • November 30th: StationPlaylist Studio 18.12 (stable), Windows 10 App Essentials 18.12.

Notes:

  • Add-on Updater 18.12 will check for add-on compatibility flags. If an add-on manifest specifies a minimum NVDA version for an add-on and you happen to use an older NVDA release, Add-on Updater will refuse to update the add-on in question. At the moment only a handful of add-ons (including most add-ons from me) ship with minimum version requirement flag, so for other add-ons, Add-on Updater will just assume that new versions are compatible (for now; this may change based on community feedback to avoid updating add-ons whose manifest does not specify minimum NVDA version flag and/or last tested version string).
  • Starting from December 2018, Enhanced Touch Gestures, Resource Monitor and Windows 10 App Essentials will enforce Windows release requirement during add-on updates. Thus, when you try to update these add-ons via Add-on Updater, these three add-ons will wholeheartedly refuse to install if you are running and unsupported Windows release for that add-on, even if you’re running a version of NVDA compatible with the add-on in question. This ensures continuity of operation – the add-on version you have won’t be removed. For reference, Resource Monitor require Windows 7 SP1, Enhanced Touch Gestures require Windows 8.1, and Windows 10 App Essentials require Windows 10 (the upcoming version requires Windows 10 Version 1709). In the future, more add-ons will require more recent Windows releases for various reasons.
  • In a future version of NVDA, NVDA may present “incompatible add-ons” dialog at startup if you are running any add-on not recently updated to specify compatible NVDA releases (minimum <= current <= last tested). Currently the feature that enables this dialog (worked by someone else) is awaiting review, and when it does make the cut to alpha snapshots, I expect an announcement (from NV Access and others) to be made via many channels.
  • Unicode Braille Input 2.10 will be the last version of that add-on from me. I have asked another NvDA developer to maintain this one.

Changelog:

  • All of these add-ons will come with varying levels of localization updates (some don’t have any localization updates, while others do).
  • All of them will come with NVDA version compatibility flags (both minimum and last tested flags will be present).
  • Most of them are Python 3 ready except for certain routines found in several add-ons.
  • GoldWave will include a potential bug fix reported by a user where NvDA may play error tones while performing some commands.
  • StationPlaylist Studio and Windows 10 App Essentials will come with numerous enhancements and bug fixes.