Date   
How to view the debug logs, and get exceptions in NVDAHelper

derek riemer
 

I'm trying to get exceptions in NVDAHelper, for some error I caused in one of the MSHTML vbuff backend methods. 
I see this coder in remoteLoader/loader.cpp.
#ifndef NDEBUG
    Beep(880,100);
    #endif
I also see a logger method that does some cryptic things I don't understand. Does anyone here know how I can set the log level, and/or view the logs? How can I get a debugger attached to IE, so I can figure out what horrible thing I did that is crashing IE? I tried getting windbg to attach to iexplore but it won't do anything for some reason.
Short of that, can I generate a minidump somehow, or a full dump, when IE breaks? It doesn't seem to crash the whole browser, but just the page.
Chbeers
--
Derek Riemer
Improving the world one byte at a time!        ⠠⠊⠍⠏⠗⠕⠧⠬ ⠮ ⠸⠺ ⠐⠕ ⠃⠽⠞⠑ ⠁⠞ ⠁ ⠐⠞⠖
•    Accessibility enthusiast.
•    Proud user of the NVDA screen reader.
•    Open source enthusiast.
•    Skier.

•    Personal website: https://derekriemer.com




Over the Threshold...

Brian's Mail list account
 

So this new snapshot branch then. I noticed that as it was none o of the current add ons are enabled. So where angels feared to tread go I and changed them all to tested version of 2019.2.0.
This then brings them all into functioning, and several then do an update. Note the folder I installed the portable version of Threshold into was an old test snap with older add ons in it you understand. So basically now it seems the only add ons that were updated were Resource monitor, Focus Highlight and add on updater of course.
I have as I say hand amended the manifests of a lot of other wanes just to see what happens next. So is there a lay persons description of what this branch is being used for?
Thanks.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

Re: Over the Threshold...

 

Hi,
Project Threshold will be the home for first (intentionally) backwards
incompatible changes to NVDA, namely speech refactor and Python 3
transition. The former is being worked on and is going through some edits
here and there, and I'm working on details of the latter alongside studying
for college finals.
Cheers,
Joseph

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda-devel@groups.io <nvda-devel@groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian's Mail
list account via Groups.Io
Sent: Sunday, May 5, 2019 12:47 PM
To: NVDA Dev list on groups.io <nvda-devel@groups.io>
Subject: [nvda-devel] Over the Threshold...

So this new snapshot branch then. I noticed that as it was none o of the
current add ons are enabled. So where angels feared to tread go I and
changed them all to tested version of 2019.2.0.
This then brings them all into functioning, and several then do an update.
Note the folder I installed the portable version of Threshold into was an
old test snap with older add ons in it you understand. So basically now it
seems the only add ons that were updated were Resource monitor, Focus
Highlight and add on updater of course.
I have as I say hand amended the manifests of a lot of other wanes just to
see what happens next. So is there a lay persons description of what this
branch is being used for?
Thanks.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

Re: Over the Threshold...

Bill Dengler
 

Speech refactor (#7599).

Bill

On May 5, 2019, at 15:46, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io <bglists=blueyonder.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:

So this new snapshot branch then. I noticed that as it was none o of the current add ons are enabled. So where angels feared to tread go I and changed them all to tested version of 2019.2.0.
This then brings them all into functioning, and several then do an update. Note the folder I installed the portable version of Threshold into was an old test snap with older add ons in it you understand. So basically now it seems the only add ons that were updated were Resource monitor, Focus Highlight and add on updater of course.
I have as I say hand amended the manifests of a lot of other wanes just to see what happens next. So is there a lay persons description of what this branch is being used for?
Thanks.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.


Re: Over the Threshold...

Brian's Mail list account
 

Thanks for that. Yes I suspected as much. I was actually impressed how many of the add ons still operate. Obviously the simple ones will, but the others still seem to. Is there an article on the audio changes, and how it might affect different flavours of windows and synth and other sound related add ons?
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joseph Lee" <@joslee>
To: <nvda-devel@groups.io>
Sent: Sunday, May 05, 2019 11:39 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda-devel] Over the Threshold...


Hi,
Project Threshold will be the home for first (intentionally) backwards
incompatible changes to NVDA, namely speech refactor and Python 3
transition. The former is being worked on and is going through some edits
here and there, and I'm working on details of the latter alongside studying
for college finals.
Cheers,
Joseph

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda-devel@groups.io <nvda-devel@groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian's Mail
list account via Groups.Io
Sent: Sunday, May 5, 2019 12:47 PM
To: NVDA Dev list on groups.io <nvda-devel@groups.io>
Subject: [nvda-devel] Over the Threshold...

So this new snapshot branch then. I noticed that as it was none o of the
current add ons are enabled. So where angels feared to tread go I and
changed them all to tested version of 2019.2.0.
This then brings them all into functioning, and several then do an update.
Note the folder I installed the portable version of Threshold into was an
old test snap with older add ons in it you understand. So basically now it
seems the only add ons that were updated were Resource monitor, Focus
Highlight and add on updater of course.
I have as I say hand amended the manifests of a lot of other wanes just to
see what happens next. So is there a lay persons description of what this
branch is being used for?
Thanks.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.





Re: Over the Threshold...

Brian's Mail list account
 

OK thanks I'll go and have a gander at that.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Bill Dengler" <codeofdusk@...>
To: <nvda-devel@groups.io>
Sent: Sunday, May 05, 2019 8:50 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda-devel] Over the Threshold...


Speech refactor (#7599).

Bill
On May 5, 2019, at 15:46, Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io <bglists=blueyonder.co.uk@groups.io> wrote:

So this new snapshot branch then. I noticed that as it was none o of the current add ons are enabled. So where angels feared to tread go I and changed them all to tested version of 2019.2.0.
This then brings them all into functioning, and several then do an update. Note the folder I installed the portable version of Threshold into was an old test snap with older add ons in it you understand. So basically now it seems the only add ons that were updated were Resource monitor, Focus Highlight and add on updater of course.
I have as I say hand amended the manifests of a lot of other wanes just to see what happens next. So is there a lay persons description of what this branch is being used for?
Thanks.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.


Re: How to view the debug logs, and get exceptions in NVDAHelper

Reef Turner
 

In addition to building NVDA with `nvdaHelperDebugFlags` (I'd suggest with debugCRT and RTC), you can also specify `nvdaHelperLogLevel=0` for maximum logging verbosity.

These args are defined in the `sconstruct` file.


On Sun, 28 Apr 2019 at 23:16, derek riemer <driemer.riemer@...> wrote:
I'm trying to get exceptions in NVDAHelper, for some error I caused in one of the MSHTML vbuff backend methods. 
I see this coder in remoteLoader/loader.cpp.
#ifndef NDEBUG
    Beep(880,100);
    #endif
I also see a logger method that does some cryptic things I don't understand. Does anyone here know how I can set the log level, and/or view the logs? How can I get a debugger attached to IE, so I can figure out what horrible thing I did that is crashing IE? I tried getting windbg to attach to iexplore but it won't do anything for some reason.
Short of that, can I generate a minidump somehow, or a full dump, when IE breaks? It doesn't seem to crash the whole browser, but just the page.
Chbeers
--
Derek Riemer
Improving the world one byte at a time!        ⠠⠊⠍⠏⠗⠕⠧⠬ ⠮ ⠸⠺ ⠐⠕ ⠃⠽⠞⠑ ⠁⠞ ⠁ ⠐⠞⠖
•    Accessibility enthusiast.
•    Proud user of the NVDA screen reader.
•    Open source enthusiast.
•    Skier.

•    Personal website: https://derekriemer.com






--
Reef Turner
Software Developer 
 


Re: How to view the debug logs, and get exceptions in NVDAHelper

derek riemer
 

Where do debug logs go? Does it end up in NVDA.log, or elsewhere?


On Mon, May 6, 2019 at 7:18 AM Reef Turner <reef@...> wrote:
In addition to building NVDA with `nvdaHelperDebugFlags` (I'd suggest with debugCRT and RTC), you can also specify `nvdaHelperLogLevel=0` for maximum logging verbosity.

These args are defined in the `sconstruct` file.

On Sun, 28 Apr 2019 at 23:16, derek riemer <driemer.riemer@...> wrote:
I'm trying to get exceptions in NVDAHelper, for some error I caused in one of the MSHTML vbuff backend methods. 
I see this coder in remoteLoader/loader.cpp.
#ifndef NDEBUG
    Beep(880,100);
    #endif
I also see a logger method that does some cryptic things I don't understand. Does anyone here know how I can set the log level, and/or view the logs? How can I get a debugger attached to IE, so I can figure out what horrible thing I did that is crashing IE? I tried getting windbg to attach to iexplore but it won't do anything for some reason.
Short of that, can I generate a minidump somehow, or a full dump, when IE breaks? It doesn't seem to crash the whole browser, but just the page.
Chbeers
--
Derek Riemer
Improving the world one byte at a time!        ⠠⠊⠍⠏⠗⠕⠧⠬ ⠮ ⠸⠺ ⠐⠕ ⠃⠽⠞⠑ ⠁⠞ ⠁ ⠐⠞⠖
•    Accessibility enthusiast.
•    Proud user of the NVDA screen reader.
•    Open source enthusiast.
•    Skier.

•    Personal website: https://derekriemer.com






--
Reef Turner
Software Developer 
 




--
Derek Riemer
Improving the world one byte at a time!        ⠠⠊⠍⠏⠗⠕⠧⠬ ⠮ ⠸⠺ ⠐⠕ ⠃⠽⠞⠑ ⠁⠞ ⠁ ⠐⠞⠖
•    Accessibility enthusiast.
•    Proud user of the NVDA screen reader.
•    Open source enthusiast.
•    Skier.

•    Personal website: https://derekriemer.com




changing mainfests of nvda addons

Zachary Morris
 

Hello,

How to you change the minimum required nvda version and last tested nvda version? I am using one of the threshold snapshots and I was just wondering on how to do this.


--
Sent from my Dell windows 10 laptop

Re: changing mainfests of nvda addons

Rui Fontes
 

Hello!
1 - Unzip the addon, or open it with 7ZIP;
2 - Change those fields in manifest.ini;
3 - Compact again or allow 7ZIP to update the ZIP file...

Rui Fontes


Às 14:35 de 06/05/2019, Zachary Morris escreveu:

Hello,
How to you change the minimum required nvda version and last tested nvda version? I am using one of the threshold snapshots and I was just wondering on how to do this.

Re: changing mainfests of nvda addons

Zachary Morris
 

Hello,

Thanks rui. But what if those fields are not there in the manifests file as mentioned?

On 5/6/2019 3:48 PM, Rui Fontes wrote:
Hello!
1 - Unzip the addon, or open it with 7ZIP;
2 - Change those fields in manifest.ini;
3 - Compact again or allow 7ZIP to update the ZIP file...

Rui Fontes


Às 14:35 de 06/05/2019, Zachary Morris escreveu:
Hello,

How to you change the minimum required nvda version and last tested nvda version? I am using one of the threshold snapshots and I was just wondering on how to do this.

Re: changing mainfests of nvda addons

 

Hi,
There is an under the surface problem that is masked by manifest edits: exactly what add-ons are affected? Because if you are using Threshold snapshots, you are effectively saying, "I'm willing to test backwards incompatible changes once they are ready". Hence, I think it would be best to contact authors of affected add-ons instead of editing manifests.
Cheers,
joseph

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda-devel@groups.io <nvda-devel@groups.io> On Behalf Of Zachary Morris
Sent: Monday, May 6, 2019 2:08 PM
To: nvda-devel@groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda-devel] changing mainfests of nvda addons

Hello,

Thanks rui. But what if those fields are not there in the manifests file as mentioned?


On 5/6/2019 3:48 PM, Rui Fontes wrote:
Hello!
1 - Unzip the addon, or open it with 7ZIP;
2 - Change those fields in manifest.ini;
3 - Compact again or allow 7ZIP to update the ZIP file...

Rui Fontes


Às 14:35 de 06/05/2019, Zachary Morris escreveu:
Hello,

How to you change the minimum required nvda version and last tested
nvda version? I am using one of the threshold snapshots and I was
just wondering on how to do this.


Re: changing mainfests of nvda addons

Zachary Morris
 

Hello,

Ok, thanks Joseph.

On 5/6/2019 4:15 PM, Joseph Lee wrote:
Hi,
There is an under the surface problem that is masked by manifest edits: exactly what add-ons are affected? Because if you are using Threshold snapshots, you are effectively saying, "I'm willing to test backwards incompatible changes once they are ready". Hence, I think it would be best to contact authors of affected add-ons instead of editing manifests.
Cheers,
joseph

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda-devel@groups.io <nvda-devel@groups.io> On Behalf Of Zachary Morris
Sent: Monday, May 6, 2019 2:08 PM
To: nvda-devel@groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda-devel] changing mainfests of nvda addons

Hello,

Thanks rui. But what if those fields are not there in the manifests file as mentioned?


On 5/6/2019 3:48 PM, Rui Fontes wrote:
Hello!
1 - Unzip the addon, or open it with 7ZIP;
2 - Change those fields in manifest.ini;
3 - Compact again or allow 7ZIP to update the ZIP file...

Rui Fontes


Às 14:35 de 06/05/2019, Zachary Morris escreveu:
Hello,

How to you change the minimum required nvda version and last tested
nvda version? I am using one of the threshold snapshots and I was
just wondering on how to do this.



Re: changing mainfests of nvda addons

Brian's Mail list account
 

Or if like me you just want to see what happens when you allow existing add ons to be accepted, note this can be dangerous, but I'm sure you know that, Then open up, say a portable version of nvda threshold with add ons installed. go to the user config and add ons folder and have a look at the manifest file of, say Josephs add onupdater. Look at the last few lines which have the earliest and latest versions of nvda listed, there is also another line that says whether only stable releases are looked for and in some min windows version as well. The whole lot can be cut and pasted into a text file and simply cut and pasted onto the manifest file of any other add on in the list in that folder.


Brian.


bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Rui Fontes" <rui.fontes@...>
To: <nvda-devel@groups.io>
Sent: Monday, May 06, 2019 9:48 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda-devel] changing mainfests of nvda addons


Hello!
1 - Unzip the addon, or open it with 7ZIP;
2 - Change those fields in manifest.ini;
3 - Compact again or allow 7ZIP to update the ZIP file...

Rui Fontes


Às 14:35 de 06/05/2019, Zachary Morris escreveu:
Hello,

How to you change the minimum required nvda version and last tested nvda version? I am using one of the threshold snapshots and I was just wondering on how to do this.

Re: changing mainfests of nvda addons

Brian's Mail list account
 

Yes, but many may not be a problem when problems do show up you can attempt to contact the author. I think one of the main things that needs to happen is for whoever contacts the author to be prepared for them to say, making it python 3 compatible is too much work. at that point one also needs to ask them if they might be prepared to donate the whole project to the community so others with more knowledge can have a go at the conversion.

So far the only one that definitely is going to give issues is the 3D sounds add on. If there is an alternative that can do this stereo and sound change bit then I'd get it and use it, but its not obvious to me from a quick scan of the add ons list.


Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joseph Lee" <@joslee>
To: <nvda-devel@groups.io>
Sent: Monday, May 06, 2019 10:15 PM
Subject: Re: [nvda-devel] changing mainfests of nvda addons


Hi,
There is an under the surface problem that is masked by manifest edits: exactly what add-ons are affected? Because if you are using Threshold snapshots, you are effectively saying, "I'm willing to test backwards incompatible changes once they are ready". Hence, I think it would be best to contact authors of affected add-ons instead of editing manifests.
Cheers,
joseph

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda-devel@groups.io <nvda-devel@groups.io> On Behalf Of Zachary Morris
Sent: Monday, May 6, 2019 2:08 PM
To: nvda-devel@groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda-devel] changing mainfests of nvda addons

Hello,

Thanks rui. But what if those fields are not there in the manifests file as mentioned?


On 5/6/2019 3:48 PM, Rui Fontes wrote:
Hello!
1 - Unzip the addon, or open it with 7ZIP;
2 - Change those fields in manifest.ini;
3 - Compact again or allow 7ZIP to update the ZIP file...

Rui Fontes


Às 14:35 de 06/05/2019, Zachary Morris escreveu:
Hello,

How to you change the minimum required nvda version and last tested
nvda version? I am using one of the threshold snapshots and I was
just wondering on how to do this.


Latest beta restarting itself multiple times

Brian's Mail list account
 

When I installed this new snapshot over the current stable release as a portable then as well as some errors the nvda tones and hence nvda must have rebooted itself at least eight times before it settled down. Its now working. Is this an intentional thing, ie checking add ons one aat a time or something?
Just weird. Note worth a ticket really.
Windows 7 pro 64.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

Re: Latest beta restarting itself multiple times

Brian's Mail list account
 

PS, However just uninstalled put the other back and did it again, and of course it all worked perfectly, bah humbug!
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io" <bglists=blueyonder.co.uk@groups.io>
To: "NVDA Dev list on groups.io" <nvda-devel@groups.io>
Sent: Tuesday, May 07, 2019 8:46 AM
Subject: [nvda-devel] Latest beta restarting itself multiple times


When I installed this new snapshot over the current stable release as a portable then as well as some errors the nvda tones and hence nvda must have rebooted itself at least eight times before it settled down. Its now working. Is this an intentional thing, ie checking add ons one aat a time or something?
Just weird. Note worth a ticket really.
Windows 7 pro 64.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.

Re: How to view the debug logs, and get exceptions in NVDAHelper

Reef Turner
 

>   Does it end up in NVDA.log,

Yes, I THINK so. It's been a while since I did this myself and I'm not 100% sure. Have you tried this and not been able to see your log messages? If so, I suggest that you look for a message that is already in the log (coming from NVDA helper) and modify it to prove to yourself that it is indeed coming from nvda helper, and that your edits are showing up.

On Mon, 6 May 2019 at 17:19, derek riemer <driemer.riemer@...> wrote:
Where do debug logs go? Does it end up in NVDA.log, or elsewhere?

On Mon, May 6, 2019 at 7:18 AM Reef Turner <reef@...> wrote:
In addition to building NVDA with `nvdaHelperDebugFlags` (I'd suggest with debugCRT and RTC), you can also specify `nvdaHelperLogLevel=0` for maximum logging verbosity.

These args are defined in the `sconstruct` file.

On Sun, 28 Apr 2019 at 23:16, derek riemer <driemer.riemer@...> wrote:
I'm trying to get exceptions in NVDAHelper, for some error I caused in one of the MSHTML vbuff backend methods. 
I see this coder in remoteLoader/loader.cpp.
#ifndef NDEBUG
    Beep(880,100);
    #endif
I also see a logger method that does some cryptic things I don't understand. Does anyone here know how I can set the log level, and/or view the logs? How can I get a debugger attached to IE, so I can figure out what horrible thing I did that is crashing IE? I tried getting windbg to attach to iexplore but it won't do anything for some reason.
Short of that, can I generate a minidump somehow, or a full dump, when IE breaks? It doesn't seem to crash the whole browser, but just the page.
Chbeers
--
Derek Riemer
Improving the world one byte at a time!        ⠠⠊⠍⠏⠗⠕⠧⠬ ⠮ ⠸⠺ ⠐⠕ ⠃⠽⠞⠑ ⠁⠞ ⠁ ⠐⠞⠖
•    Accessibility enthusiast.
•    Proud user of the NVDA screen reader.
•    Open source enthusiast.
•    Skier.

•    Personal website: https://derekriemer.com






--
Reef Turner
Software Developer 
 




--
Derek Riemer
Improving the world one byte at a time!        ⠠⠊⠍⠏⠗⠕⠧⠬ ⠮ ⠸⠺ ⠐⠕ ⠃⠽⠞⠑ ⠁⠞ ⠁ ⠐⠞⠖
•    Accessibility enthusiast.
•    Proud user of the NVDA screen reader.
•    Open source enthusiast.
•    Skier.

•    Personal website: https://derekriemer.com






--
Reef Turner
Software Developer 
 


Re: Questions about NVDA objects

francisco del roio
 

Hello,

El 31/3/2019 a las 10:51, francisco del roio escribió:
Hello,

What's happen with NVDA objects? Are they recreated for all events or
cached somewhere? What about it's relation with particular handlers?

Developer guide says all about app modules, overlay classes and object
instantiation, but nothing about object life cycle.

Are there any documentation about this particular thing?

Cheers,
Anything about this particular thing?

Thanks again.
--
Cuando tus fuerzas terminan, las de mi Dios comienzan.

Re: Latest beta restarting itself multiple times

Brian's Mail list account
 

I think this may well have something to do with my old problem of locked files. Some work has been done on how logs are generated I think, which might have affected timings.
Incidentally sometimes after accepting an update the update dialogue comes back again and one needs to shift tab to get to the install dialogue.
This is on all versions but not all the time.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
Newsgroup monitored: alt.comp.blind-users

----- Original Message -----
From: "Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io" <bglists=blueyonder.co.uk@groups.io>
To: <nvda-devel@groups.io>
Sent: Tuesday, May 07, 2019 9:11 AM
Subject: Re: [nvda-devel] Latest beta restarting itself multiple times


PS, However just uninstalled put the other back and did it again, and of course it all worked perfectly, bah humbug!
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
----- Original Message -----
From: "Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io" <bglists=blueyonder.co.uk@groups.io>
To: "NVDA Dev list on groups.io" <nvda-devel@groups.io>
Sent: Tuesday, May 07, 2019 8:46 AM
Subject: [nvda-devel] Latest beta restarting itself multiple times


When I installed this new snapshot over the current stable release as a portable then as well as some errors the nvda tones and hence nvda must have rebooted itself at least eight times before it settled down. Its now working. Is this an intentional thing, ie checking add ons one aat a time or something?
Just weird. Note worth a ticket really.
Windows 7 pro 64.
Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.