Re: NVDA 2020.2 doesn't read .NET comboboxes

Hi,

Test results:

Setup: Windows 10 Version 2004 (Windows Sandbox), NVDA 2020.2 portable copy, TFM executable (downloaded from Dropbox)

Steps to reproduce:

  1. Run TFM and NVDA 2020.2.
  2. If Windows Security talks about unsafe app, say “run anyway”.
  3. If UAC appears, say “yes”.
  4. When TFM starts, move to “gauges” combo box and press up or down arrows.

Expected: NVDA announces combo box items.

Actual: no such announcement.

Results:

  • Object type: UIA, with actual combo box items seen as a UIA list item.
  • Is this reproducible with Narrator: no (announces combo box items when pressing up or down arrow keys).
  • Does the object raise UIA events: yes (UIA element selected event is raised, seen when running NVDA in debug logging mode with Windows 10 App Essentials add-on present).
  • Does disabling add-ons make a difference: no.

Ultimate cause: for some reason Windows Forms sets UIA value pattern available Id to true. Although NVDA knows about UIA combo boxes, it doesn’t deal with cases like this. It then comes down to Microsoft’s stances on this for Windows Forms controls, and if Microsoft says this is a standard behavior for even latest Windows Forms release, then the only thing we can do is ask Jason to either invest in a different GUI toolkit or write an app module that tells NVDA that combo boxes like these should be treated as NVDAObjects.UIA.ComboBoxWithoutValuePattern.