Re: Question for NV Access staff: Can we share the direct link to download NVDA?

Noelia Ruiz

Thanks, I have updated our spanish website at nvdaes.github.io
accordingly, including the direct download link in the header of the
website after its description and before the search form, and also in
the post related to NVDA 2020.2, in this case, providing a link to
this thread about the download procedure preferred by NV Access.
Please let us know if we should change the form of the download URL in
a future moment so you can gatter stats or whatever.
I think I have seen several times on mailing lists a different URL
with the word file.
Noelia

If you use a url of the following form, we will still be able to gather
download stats:

http://www.nvaccess.org/download/nvda/releases/2020.2/nvda_2020.2.exe

Mick

On 30/07/2020 5:22 am, Noelia Ruiz wrote:
I think that it would be useful if the website was translated, maybe
with a warning to clarify that translations are not official but just
informative. Communnities have websites, blogs or social network to
inform users anyway, so I don't know how this can be put all together.
For instance, the add-ons website is localized in several languages,
but communities host add-ons in their own websites in several
languages. So, the concern is: if the translation provided in NV
Access servers is not official, what's the additional value of hosting
a translation on their website? It would be useful if some kind of
endorsement could be provided for the translations hosted in their
website, but I don't know if this is or not possible or what would be
required.
NV Access announced that they would work in the translation system for
NVDA and add-ons. Maybe a chance to take a look on this again?
Here is a closed issue for this:

I think it is a deficiency that NVDA's official site only serves in
English.

If WordPress translation templates are shared, I would be happy to
translate the site into Turkish.
Very good at Wordpress i18n.

In addition: it is difficult to generate an analysis with just the
download button click counter. This is a simple thing.
Instead, a token-based download system may be needed.

On 29/07/2020 18:09, Reef Turner wrote:
We would prefer users download NVDA from our site, it helps us
understand
the uptake of a new version (through download stats), and reminds users
consider donating (which makes it possible to keep providing NVDA).
Another concern is the longevity of the links, though we have no plans
change the way NVDA is stored, we can't guarantee this will always be
true.

That said, we wouldn't want a lack of translation to be the reason
someone
is unable to use the latest version of NVDA.

We suppose that if we don't host the launcher on an external website
or
service, if someone downloads NVDA from this link you can get
statistics
appropriately.
I'm not sure at which point the stats are collected. You are right,
theoretically we could count the stats when the file is accessed, in
practice I have a feeling we don’t do that. I think it is tied to the
download button on the download page. Either way, we get a slightly
different statistic based on checks for updates. In my opinion this is
more useful, it gives a better indication of daily active users.