Re: Question for NV Access staff: Can we share the direct link to download NVDA?

Noelia Ruiz

OK, then, in case, we won't share the direct download link on the
website and will share a link to this thread so people checks for
updates of NVDA or use the download button.
Thanks

We would prefer users download NVDA from our site, it helps us understand
the uptake of a new version (through download stats), and reminds users to
consider donating (which makes it possible to keep providing NVDA).
Another concern is the longevity of the links, though we have no plans to
change the way NVDA is stored, we can't guarantee this will always be true.

That said, we wouldn't want a lack of translation to be the reason someone
is unable to use the latest version of NVDA.

We suppose that if we don't host the launcher on an external website or
service, if someone downloads NVDA from this link you can get statistics
appropriately.
I'm not sure at which point the stats are collected. You are right,
theoretically we could count the stats when the file is accessed, in
practice I have a feeling we don’t do that. I think it is tied to the
download button on the download page. Either way, we get a slightly
different statistic based on checks for updates. In my opinion this is more
useful, it gives a better indication of daily active users.