Re: WXPython Submodule Issue When Running From Source

Nathaniel Schmidt

Hi Joseph,

Works now. Thanks.

On 10 Jun 2020, at 2:15 am, Joseph Lee <joseph.lee22590@gmail.com> wrote:

´╗┐Hi,
Because wxPython includes C extension code (pyd file), you'll need to run Python 3.7 specific and 32-bit wxPython 4.0.3.

From: nvda-devel@groups.io <nvda-devel@groups.io> On Behalf Of Nathaniel Schmidt
Sent: Thursday, June 4, 2020 1:59 AM
To: nvda-devel@groups.io
Subject: [nvda-devel] WXPython Submodule Issue When Running From Source

Hi all,

I am not sure how simple or difficult this problem is to fix but I am trying to run NVDA from source, and the following problem has been encountered when executing pythonw nvda.pyw from the command line. Is anyone able to help? Also sorry if there is already a topic on this
issue: I have been off the list temporarily. I thought I would post here to see if anyone else is having the issue before creating one on
GitHub:

From log:
---begin---
INFO - __main__ (18:25:49.265) - MainThread (23044):
Starting NVDA version source-master-44d8a31 CRITICAL - __main__ (18:25:49.940) - MainThread (23044):
core failure
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "nvda.pyw", line 214, in <module>
import core
File "core.py", line 31, in <module>
import nvwave
File "nvwave.py", line 15, in <module>
import wx
File "c:\GitInit\njsch\nvda\include\wxPython\wx\__init__.py", line 17, in <module>
from wx.core import *
File "c:\GitInit\njsch\nvda\include\wxPython\wx\core.py", line 12, in <module>
from ._core import *
ModuleNotFoundError: No module named 'wx._core'
--end---

At face-value, this sounds to me like a dependency-specific issue with WXPython's code.
Is anyone else having this issue? Has the classic WXPython submodule been updated recently?

Also, please note that I have set my cloned njsch/nvda/master branch to remote-track nvaccess/nvda/master.

Should I pip uninstall wxpython? I don't think I installed it before successfully creating my python virtual environment for the NVDA source distribution. Although under the circumstances, I don't really see how this would make a difference, since the log history indicates that the nvwave module is looking in the Git submodule-included dependency directory anyway.

Kind regards,

Nathaniel Schmidt