Is there any other way to push text to NVDA from javascript that will have it interrupt speech?

Thanks

Sean

On Fri, Mar 27, 2020 at 3:50 AM Bill Dengler <codeofdusk@...> wrote:

See https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/pull/10622

Although I think this might just be for UIA, not ARIA.

Bill

From: nvda-devel@groups.io <nvda-devel@groups.io> On Behalf Of Sean Mealin
Sent: 26 March 2020 23:16
To: nvda-devel@groups.io
Subject: [nvda-devel] Having NVDA interrupt itself using aria-live updates

Hi all,

I’m working on a web game where the user is controlling things with a gamepad.  To give feedback, I’m updating a div that NVDA should read out.

The problem that I’m having is no matter the aria-live setting I use, NVDA does not interrupt itself.  So, if the user is listening to a message, and presses a button to confirm an action, I want NVDA to immediately speak a new message rather than queueing it up after the current message.  If the user is using a keyboard, this isn’t a problem because the keypress interrupts the current message and NVDA speaks the new message.  But since the primary input device is a gamepad, NVDA doesn’t register a gamepad button in the same way as a keyboard button.

I thought using aria-live = assertive would accomplish my goal, but no luck.  I’ve tried every combination of roll (status, alert, etc.) and aria-live (polite and assertive) that I can think of.

I’m using NVDA 2019.3.1 and Chrome 80.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Sean