Re: I'm curious about a styling choice in NVDA's code

Julien Cochuyt

Dear Alex,

Code styling has been enforced in the last few month with a proper linting of all new contributions merged into the code base of NVDA.
Indeed, a whitespace between the comma and the next call argument is now the rule.
It has nevertheless been decided not to lint existing code, mainly for two reasons:
 - Allow for an easier tracking of contribution history
 - Avoid the risk of causing regressions

Best regards,

Julien Cochuyt
Accessolutions

Le mer. 4 mars 2020 à 23:50, Alex Hall <ahall@...> a écrit :
All,
I've noticed that many function calls in NVDA don't place spaces between the comma of one argument and the start of the next argument. Using Espeak, this makes it very hard to read these argument lists, as this synthesizer runs everything together as a single sentence. It basically skips the commas unless there are spaces between them.

Given that NVDA's long-time default synthesizer, and one of the best synths for speaking quickly yet precisely, can't articulate without spaces, why was this styling choice made? Is it a hold-over that the team plans to clean up one day, but isn't important enough to bother with? Or is it intentional, and something the developers want contributors to continue to do?

It just strikes me as odd, so I figured I'd ask the experts. Thanks for indulging my curiosity.

--
Alex Hall
Automatic Distributors, IT department