Re: NVDA crashes if non-ASCII characters are in the path

zvonimir stanečić, 9a5dsz

Btw, can you merge all translations from beta to master?
Rc3 has no problems with them

-----Original Message-----
From: nvda-devel@groups.io <nvda-devel@groups.io> On Behalf Of Reef Turner
Sent: Thursday, February 6, 2020 11:07 AM
To: nvda-devel@groups.io
Subject: Re: [nvda-devel] NVDA crashes if non-ASCII characters are in the path

One possible work-around (that I don't like very much) would be to detect the crash conditions on start up (espeak synth, path with non-ASCII), warn the user and set a different synth.

Sent: Wednesday, 5 February 2020 7:38 PM

Unfortunately, this is a rather serious problem, the danger of which is probably underestimated.
Because of this problem, it is impossible to run new NVDA if the path to unpacked version contains non-ASCII characters.
As a result, inexperienced users may not understand why the new NVDA portable does not start.
There are Non-ASCII characters in languages based on the Latin alphabet, for example, French, German, Spanish. The so-called diacritics.
It is also bad that the log of NVDA does not contain any errors. NVDA crashes before it has time to write something.
This is an old bug that manifested even in Python 2 versions. That is not a problem of Python 3 migration.

From: nvda-devel@groups.io <nvda-devel@groups.io> On Behalf Of Brian's Mail list account via Groups.Io
Sent: Wednesday, February 05, 2020 8:54 PM

I wonder how many people this might affect? If somebody likes espeak, one supposes this will be people who use other languages than the Latin based ones with this synth. I could not see the issue on the Espeak mail list, so suspect its been around for a while. Could an older version be used to temporarily fix this as it might make some people not want to switch, assuming of course the problem is not already in the current stable python 2. I'd not know.

Brian

bglists@...
Sent via blueyonder.
Please address personal E-mail to:-
briang1@..., putting 'Brian Gaff'
in the display name field.
Newsgroup monitored: alt.comp.blind-users
----- Original Message -----
To: <nvda-devel@groups.io>
Sent: Wednesday, February 05, 2020 9:10 AM

Hi Nikita,

Thanks for pointing this out. It is a known issue [1]. We are confident this is caused by an issue in espeak and there is little we can do about it in the short term. We hope that the espeak maintainers will fix this issue, but unfortunately it is too late for a fix to be included in 2019.3.

[1] https://github.com/nvaccess/nvda/issues/10607

Join nvda-devel@groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.