Re: Important request for add-on authors and users: please focus on stability and Python 3 compatibility (no new features) until NVDA 2019.3 stable version is released

Luke Davis

Out of curiosity: why would you do that? If it is already compatible, why make it more difficult for those who have to remain on 2019.2.1 or other earlier versions?

At least until all common add-ons are ported, there will be people who can't upgrade because they require some add-on.

It shouldn't actually be hurting anything to retain Python 2 compatibility for some time, should it? At least until that compatibility breaks something in 2019.3 or beyond, or makes the add-on sluggish, or whatever other negative impact.

But if it just stays dormant and doesn't require active maintenance within the add-on, but helps those using 2019.2.1 and below, I don't get the value of removing it.

Luke

On Wed, 11 Dec 2019, DaVid wrote:

Yes, possible.
Mi add-on, the IBMTTS driver, is compatible with python 2 and 3 at the
same time.
A synth driver is a complex add-on I'd say, because use a lot of
features that changed in the NVDA's framework.

I'll will remove the compatibility with python 2 when NVDA 2019.3 is released.