Re: Important request for add-on authors and users: please focus on stability and Python 3 compatibility (no new features) until NVDA 2019.3 stable version is released

DaVid

Yes, possible.
Mi add-on, the IBMTTS driver, is compatible with python 2 and 3 at the
same time.
A synth driver is a complex add-on I'd say, because use a lot of
features that changed in the NVDA's framework.

I'll will remove the compatibility with python 2 when NVDA 2019.3 is released.

Regards,
David.

<bglists=blueyonder.co.uk@groups.io>:

Just a few comments on this bit...

starting on December 15, 2019, any add-on that fails to even install on NVDA

2019.3 beta, even though their code is Python 3 ready, will result in those

add-ons becoming "incompatible" I.e. manifest checks will become mandatory.

I'd have thought that if somebody has checked their code is Python 3 ready,

they would have also fixed the manifest. It might be a good idea to tell
users how to fix the manifest if they know the add on will probably work.

They can always disable it if they hit an issue later on. I refer to add ons

that are very simple such as fake clipboard announcements etc.

Also, starting from that date, even though the add-on does install on
2019.3 beta, if it fails to start in 2019.3 beta will result in
"incompatible" label
Are you referring here to ones like Pico synth and Speech player in Espeak?

I've not seen anything other than synths fall into this zone, they either
install and work or don't work otherwise.
.
To make sure add-ons are compatible with NVDA 2019.3 from day 1, I advise
the following to be done by the NVDA community as a whole:
1. No feature requests: until NVDA 2019.3 stable version comes out, please
DO NOT request new features for add-ons. The only exceptions should be
localization and documentation edits.
I'm sure that there are add ons out there being tweaked for features and
also checked for compatibility at the same time. One assumes in such cases a

the review process might need to be gone through again?
2. Focus on stability: this includes making sure add-ons are compatible with

2019.3, and if needed, older releases.
I was also going to ask, is it technically possible to build add ons that
work for both python2 and 3 and don't fall full of the missing libraries and

other files that have been changed so imports fail on one or the other
version of nvda?

-----