Re: Important request for add-on authors and users: please focus on stability and Python 3 compatibility (no new features) until NVDA 2019.3 stable version is released

Noelia Ruiz

Hi, I will sumarize this info (won't translate it literally) and will
post it on the NVDA's spanish website created by me. I was in doubt
about making a post for this beta since I publish just from release
candidates.
Also, regarding to me, Chris LM, the main author of Emoticons add-on,
was informed about a bug in the Insert emoticons dialog by an user of
the Italian community. I will fix this the next weekend.
but also on Twitter mentioning your user name.
Cheers

Dear NVDA development and add-ons community,

Note: a companion note will be sent out to users shortly, along with that
companion being sent out to translators for circulation in various
languages.

On December 9, 2019, NVDA 2019.3 beta 1 was released for testing. This
means
Python 3 NVDA is one step closer to general availability.

As you may all know by now (or almost all of you should be aware), NVDA
2019.3 is not an evolutionary release - it is a revolutionary release.
Thus,
for the last few months, I and other NVDA core developers (including NV
Access people) were giving you essential advisories about it, including a
need to update (and in some cases, rewrite) add-ons. For the last few
weeks,
one of the central topics across the NVDA community has been add-ons and
their compatibility with future NVDA releases, along with adopting Python 3
concepts and skills.

While 2019.3 was in alpha phase (and it is still going through that phase
somewhat), authors were advised to work on making sure their add-ons are
ready, and compatibility certification was voluntary i.e. up to authors to
declare their add-ons as compatible. Now that 2019.3 beta is out, I would
like to request that authors focus on stability and Python 3 compatibility
(for real this time); along with this, starting on December 15, 2019, any
add-on that fails to even install on NVDA 2019.3 beta, even though their
code is Python 3 ready, will result in those add-ons becoming
"incompatible"
i.e. manifest checks will become mandatory. Also, starting from that date,
even though the add-on does install on 2019.3 beta, if it fails to start in
2019.3 beta will result in "incompatible" label.

To make sure add-ons are compatible with NVDA 2019.3 from day 1, I advise
the following to be done by the NVDA community as a whole:

1. No feature requests: until NVDA 2019.3 stable version comes out,
please DO NOT request new features for add-ons. The only exceptions should
be localization and documentation edits.
2. Focus on stability: this includes making sure add-ons are compatible
with 2019.3, and if needed, older releases.
3. Timely feedback to the right people: just because I tend to be seen
as the leader of this effort should not be a reason to contact me for all
sorts of issues with add-ons; please take a look at add-on compatibility
list located at community add-ons page (under Announcements section), as
that page contains contact information for authors of add-ons that are
giving you issues (for ones developed by me, you are more than welcome to
provide feedback anytime). Regarding the compatibility list itself, I'll
continue to monitor and update it based on feedback from authors and the
community.

Thank you.